Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook lags with matched pairs

MacBook lags with matched pairs
wheelchairguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2006, 10:23 AM

Greetings,

I have seen this issue posted around <http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=215228>.

I am having an isues with the MacBook lagging with matched pairs of RAM. At first I only noticed the lag when after I started playing backgammon for awhile. I had the stock 512 RAM. I could tell the whole system lagged by simply using the key commands for application switcher as it was very slow. However, as soon as I quit backgammon the system was responding fine, no lag. I thought this was a problem with lag of memory since it shares. So, I bought new RAM, two 1 GB sticks. Well it was worse from the get go. As with you all, both work fine alone, or with one of the 256MB sticks in either bank. The problem ONLY happens when big bang is opened along with say Safari. If I quit big bang the system returns to normal. This does not, at least to me seem to be a heat issue. Although I haven't monitored heat. I have monitored with activity monitor and nothing is unusual. Do others have this issue? Do you think this is a RAM, video card, or Big Bang issue?

wheelchairguy

McNewbie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2006, 11:12 AM

How does the other apps running with the two 1gb sticks? Better or worse as well?

wheelchairguy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by McNewbie
How does the other apps running with the two 1gb sticks? Better or worse as well?
Thanks for the reply...

I have not noticed the issue with other apps. I suppose it could be a freeverse problem. I was hoping someone could tell me they see the same or don't see this. It just seems weird that this lag shows itself worse with matching pairs then with unmatched pairs. I have a Mac Mini, the system lags a bit, but you really don't notice it too badly. On the MacBook, it is really bad. You would think you are on a Mac Lisa!

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2006, 05:40 PM

Can you check to see if somehow the Big Bang apps are running in Rosetta mode rather than Universal? Just get info on them, and there is a checkbox in there. When I've been running Word under Rosetta for a while I get lag, such as the volume bezel being very slow to appear.

wheelchairguy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain
Can you check to see if somehow the Big Bang apps are running in Rosetta mode rather than Universal? Just get info on them, and there is a checkbox in there. When I've been running Word under Rosetta for a while I get lag, such as the volume bezel being very slow to appear.
Thanks for the reply.

I looked at the info window on all of the games, and they are not running under Rosetta.

Forum Links
Forum Rules