Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > How does Bluetooth interact with mobile phones?

How does Bluetooth interact with mobile phones?
veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jan 11, 2003, 03:28 AM

Would someone who has played with Bluetooth on their Mac enlighten me please?

From Apple Bluetooth page
http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/ it claims it can talk to Palm and mobile phone, and "And for a whizzy trick that�s sure to impress, send an instant iCard with your own image taken by your cell phone. Use a camera phone such as the Nokia 7650 to take pictures, download them to your Mac over Bluetooth, create an iCard, then send it using your phone�s GPRS connection.". Without any more information from Apple's website, I would like to know how this would work? If a have a Nokia 7650 phone do I still need any additional software (ISync and any Nokia software) for me to download picture from the phone back to my Mac?

Also, would every Bluetooth mobile phone automatically interact with Mac OS X with Bluetooth without "drivers" or special software?
( Last edited by veryniceguy2002; Jan 11, 2003 at 03:34 AM. )

MickS
Senior User
Jan 11, 2003, 05:13 AM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
Not sure about the Nokia 7650, I have aT68i, but here goes answering your questions.

http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/ it claims it can talk to Palm and mobile phone, and "And for a whizzy trick that?s sure to impress, send an instant iCard with your own image taken by your cell phone. Use a camera phone such as the Nokia 7650 to take pictures, download them to your Mac over Bluetooth, create an iCard, then send it using your phone?s GPRS connection.". Without any more information from Apple's website, I would like to know how this would work? If a have a Nokia 7650 phone do I still need any additional software (ISync and any Nokia software) for me to download picture from the phone back to my Mac?
With your phone and Mac paired you can use the Bluetooth file transfer program so send files back and forth between them. You need to initiate the transfer on the sending side. So providing you can send images via Bluetooth from your phone you can transfer them to your Mac.

Using the same file transfer you can move vCard contact information between your Mac and you phone. This provides a way to get the information if your phone isn't supported by iSync (which none of the Nokias are).

You can connect the AddressBook to your phone using bluetooth. This allows you to dial numbers from the AddressBook and see incoming calls on your screen. You can also send and view SMS messages in the same way.

The GPRS connection but refers to using the phone as a modem. The connection between the Mac and the phone being over Bluetooth rather than cable or infrared.

Also, would every Bluetooth mobile phone automatically interact with Mac OS X with Bluetooth without "drivers" or special software?
Bluetooth is a pretty good standard. The problem is the services on top of it that are provided by the phone. You should be able to use the file transfer, modem and AddressBook stuff with only perhaps a modem definition file. Anyone with a 7650 care to comment?

niji
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2003, 06:40 AM

( Last edited by niji; Jan 11, 2003 at 06:46 AM. )

RGB
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by MickS:
You can connect the AddressBook to your phone using bluetooth. This allows you to dial numbers from the AddressBook and see incoming calls on your screen. You can also send and view SMS messages in the same way.

I just got my T68 yesterday and am picking up my Bluetooth adapter today for my G3... how do I do this?

MickS
Senior User
Jan 13, 2003, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by RGB:
I just got my T68 yesterday and am picking up my Bluetooth adapter today for my G3... how do I do this?
Plug in the BT adapter and pair the phone and Mac. Launch the addressbook, you will see a little bluetooth button next to the view buttons at the top left of the window. Click on that to connect the AddressBook to the phone.

The button doesn't appear unless you have bluetooth available when you launch AddressBook. This is similar to the System Prefs where the bluetooth prefs pane isn't visible unless the adapter is connected when you start prefs.

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Jan 14, 2003, 12:22 AM

Not sure about the Nokia 7650, I have aT68i, but here goes answering your questions.

With your phone and Mac paired you can use the Bluetooth file transfer program so send files back and forth between them. You need to initiate the transfer on the sending side. So providing you can send images via Bluetooth from your phone you can transfer them to your Mac.

Using the same file transfer you can move vCard contact information between your Mac and you phone. This provides a way to get the information if your phone isn't supported by iSync (which none of the Nokias are).
Well, would you be able to download ringtones and images into your T68i? (eventhrough I don't have one )

I'm just surprised that Apple mentioned a lot of "What you can do with Bluetooth", yet they don't provide details on how you can do it. (I did a search on Bluetooth with phone on Apple's kbase, not much useful information came up )

MickS
Senior User
Jan 14, 2003, 05:20 AM

Well, would you be able to download ringtones and images into your T68i? (eventhrough I don't have one )
Yes to both of these. I've downloaded a few ringtones and pictures. Personalizes the phone.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2003, 10:18 AM

Yes to both of these. I've downloaded a few ringtones and pictures. Personalizes the phone.
Does it work with Entourage?

MickS
Senior User
Jan 14, 2003, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
Does it work with Entourage?
Don't know, don't use Entourage.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2003, 11:22 AM

When you use a cell phone as a BTmodem. Do you have to pay via the amount of data you send and receive or does it actually dial your ISP therefore only using up your allotted minutes of time.

MickS
Senior User
Jan 14, 2003, 12:29 PM

It depends on the connection. If you have a GSM type connection it will dial as any other modem would. This is the mode I'm using it in at the moment (T-Mobile don't have a general GPRS service in the UK yet )

If you have a GPRS connection then there is no dialing but you would have to pay for traffic instead.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2003, 01:11 PM

It depends on the connection. If you have a GSM type connection it will dial as any other modem would. This is the mode I'm using it in at the moment (T-Mobile don't have a general GPRS service in the UK yet )

If you have a GPRS connection then there is no dialing but you would have to pay for traffic instead.
I currently have AT&T and I think their services are GSM/GPRS... If we had to pay per kb, using a laptop that would be big $$$!

Mike

veryniceguy2002  (op)
Senior User
Jan 21, 2003, 12:32 AM

http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/ it claims it can talk to Palm and mobile phone, and "And for a whizzy trick that�s sure to impress, send an instant iCard with your own image taken by your cell phone. Use a camera phone such as the Nokia 7650 to take pictures, download them to your Mac over Bluetooth, create an iCard, then send it using your phone�s GPRS connection.". Without any more information from Apple's website, I would like to know how this would work? If a have a Nokia 7650 phone do I still need any additional software (ISync and any Nokia software) for me to download picture from the phone back to my Mac?

I have done some research on the web, and there is an Italian web site which has information on how to get Bluetooth works with the Nokia 7650:

http://www.macitynet.it/macprof/aA12545/index.shtml

Why didn't Apple make this sort of information available?

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2003, 12:35 PM

bluetooth has special predefined "profiles" that it uses to communicate, like "headset" for talking to a headset (from your phone or computer,) kinda like the USB human interface device spec, so you don't need drivers for most things.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Forum Links
Forum Rules