Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How does one get abs of steel anyway?

How does one get abs of steel anyway?
beb
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 10:33 PM

?

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2003, 10:40 PM

If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2003, 10:41 PM

We all have Abs of steel.

Most just have a layer of protective fat over them.

You can ask this guy for some help:
http://www.fitnessmadesimple.com/

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Sep 20, 2003, 10:44 PM

THE FLUTTER KICK! IN CADENCE...

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2003, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by Uday's Carcass:
THE FLUTTER KICK! IN CADENCE...

how bout the "Hello dolly!!"
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Sep 20, 2003, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by Sandbaggins:
how bout the "Hello dolly!!"
I don't know that one. Is it like T-bone?

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2003, 02:10 AM

Genetics play the biggest role. Some people can work out 24/7 and drop down to low single digit body fat percentages and still can't get a true 6 pack because of their genetic disposition.

But if you must try... get on a cardio program to lose excess body fat. That should take 2-4 months if you aren't a lard ass. Then hit the weights. You'll need to work on your trunk to strengthen your overall body. Squats, deadlifts, lower back work, and abdomen workouts. Then after your torso is solid you should work out the limbs and upper body, There will be no point in attempting to get ripped abs if your upper body is a skinny and undefined mass of goo. It will also help in framing your abdominal region. This will put you at about 12-18 months.
During this entire time: your diet should be adjusted to lower your fat intake and carbs should be lowered progressively. As carbs are lowered protein should be increased. The total caloric intake will depend on your body size, intensity of your workout program, and the phase of training you are in.

If you can get this far and stick to your workout program you should be able to handle ab workouts 4 times a week. Hanging leg lifts, crunches, and knee ups will be the main core of your program here. But don't ignore specific target exercises like using a roman chair and other things to hit the obliques. Slow and controlled will get you farther than just jerking around out of exhaustion.

Personally, I never obsessed about my abs. My body fat % was never of concern to me and I was more focused on overall strength and mass. I did do some work to get shape around my abs but that level of definition was a waste of time in my opinion.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2003, 02:27 AM

McDonalds.

bkatran
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2003, 03:14 AM

cardio and dieting

willed
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2003, 07:03 AM

I used to have a six-pack.

Then I went to University and started drinking excessively.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by willed:
I used to have a six-pack.

Then I went to University and started drinking excessively.
me too

Chris

bkatran
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2003, 02:34 PM

a six pack isnt made in the gym, its made in the kitchen

eat smart, guys can afford to be a little less lenient but stay away from packaged carbs and fats....if its in a box, try not to eat it. eat lots of salad, and lean steak. thats what did it for me

John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2003, 02:37 PM

Diet, diet, exercise, and CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2003, 03:05 PM

Abs of steel in 3 easy steps:
1) Purchase steel
2) Remove abs
3) Insert steel

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2003, 05:51 PM

How to get Abs Of Steel, in 3 Easy Steps

1) Slice belly from solar plexus to groin
2) Insert 6 steel bands
3) There's no step 3!
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

beb  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 08:38 AM

I uh, actually posted the topic line as a sort of a dumb joke. A friend of mine would keep jumping out of places, or out from boxes and shout either "Buns! of Steeeeel!!!" or "Abs! of Steeeel!" I currently have them seeking professional psychiatric help.

I really do appreciate all the useful info, as well as the not-so-useful info. -insert six steel bands, what about heavy metal bands? Would this set off the airport scanning system?

Lately, I've been considering whether or not to puchase a bowflex. A couple days ago, I almost dropped a free-weight on my foot. I kindof like my feet, so I don't want duck feet or worse due to a forty-pound weight falling onto them.Does anybody know anything about this product?

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by beb:
I uh, actually posted the topic line as a sort of a dumb joke. A friend of mine would keep jumping out of places, or out from boxes and shout either "Buns! of Steeeeel!!!" or "Abs! of Steeeel!" I currently have them seeking professional psychiatric help.

I really do appreciate all the useful info, as well as the not-so-useful info. -insert six steel bands, what about heavy metal bands? Would this set off the airport scanning system?

Lately, I've been considering whether or not to puchase a bowflex. A couple days ago, I almost dropped a free-weight on my foot. I kindof like my feet, so I don't want duck feet or worse due to a forty-pound weight falling onto them.Does anybody know anything about this product?
My dad got one of those TotalGym things (forget the model):
http://www.totalgym.com/products/

It's actually pretty good. Like the bowflex, just not has weight intensive. You use your own body weight. So as you build muscle (which has lots of weight)... you lift more by definition. You can also adjust the incline to get more weight.

desi
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 09:05 AM

if you want abs of steel�a six pack that is defined�follow capt obvious' advice. diet down and then use weights for ab exercises. genetics may not grant you the six pack, but abs of steel can be had. listen to the capt, cause any other way really doesn't work. you need to use weight no matter what anyone tells you to build larger ab muscles. you wont see them unless you diet down first and then build from there. if you just want to look ripped I suppose you could just diest down and do body weight ab work, but your ab muscles wont grow.

AutoJC
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2003, 09:13 AM

How does one get abs of steel anyway?
Exercise.
AutoJC

Pure Democracy Is Collectivist Mob Rule-
Capitalism.org

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 09:56 AM

Yeah, they work to a degree. But long before you reach that point you will get bored with it. The same goes for any machine you see sold on TV. Good old free weights are always your best bet unless you have a recurring injury that requires you to use a machine that limits the range of movement.
If you have room for it get a bench or station with a cable set up. One that lets you switch the pulley to a few locations. You can do cable curls, lat pulldowns, cable rows, some press downs, and a load of other good exercises.
If you don't want to get that then invest in some new plates in the heavier area you use. New good ones have handles built into the plates so you don't drop them and they are easier to use for other exercises.
For the cost you are better off not getting a bowflex, soloflex, or any other machine of the like (treadmill not included in that.)

Or just join a gym. Its a fraction of the cost and offers everything you could possibly use.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by John B. Smith:
Diet, diet, exercise, and CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO
Yes, yes, and not always.
If the person asking was a male 5'10" and 130 pounds then cardio is only useful at the start of the program and then maybe once or twice a week thereafter. Too much cardio on someone like that will burn too many calories that they need to maintain and build mucle mass.

So it depends a lot on the person.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 10:12 AM

Lately, I've been considering whether or not to puchase a bowflex. A couple days ago, I almost dropped a free-weight on my foot. I kindof like my feet, so I don't want duck feet or worse due to a forty-pound weight falling onto them.
Try a Bullworker. Cheap, and they do work.
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

Beewee
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 10:50 AM

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2003, 11:39 AM

So that is actually you!

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 12:44 PM

OK, seriously, abs of steel ain't uncommonly hard. If it's visibility and surface tone you're looking for, you have to have low body fat in the area.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules