Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > network disconnecting?

network disconnecting?
bkatran
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2003, 09:59 PM

ok heres my setup
linksys cable modem
airport extreme
powerbook g4 and dell with wireless card

im connected fine but then sometimes my network just stalls out. i cant check my mail, open safari..but my instant messenger programs are still online. this happens like once every 24 hours. i usually just reset my airport and modem and that works

but can anyone tell me whats wrong?
thanks for your help

superlarry
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 01:39 AM

there could be some interference causing the problems.. try changing the wireless channel in your linksys configuration. this might get around it.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 24, 2003, 03:02 PM

Try connecting your computers with Cat5 cable and see if you experience the same problem.

If you don't, you're running into something messing with your wireless connection that happens periodically-like a neighbor using a ham radio that isn't properly shielded. Or maybe he's getting responses from Mars or something and they're what's messing you up!

If you DO have the same problem it's most likely that your cable folks are running network maintenance functions and the problem is at their end. The next step is to plug one computer into the modem (with a cable, not by AirPort, and power cycle the modem when you do this so it will accept the computer) and see if it happens THEN. If it does, then you need to call tech support and let them know what's going on.

Another thought: If your cable modem is dealing out a DHCP address, then it may be issuing them with a 24 hour lease time. The solution for that is to force the router to reconnect by turning it off for a few minutes. Do this at some point in the day when you're definately not using the machine, like 3 in the morning. This will establish the new lease at that time, and hopefully you'll never notice it again.

In some extreme cases, I've heard of people using those 24 hour timers you put lights on to fool the burglars into thinking you're home (yeah, right!) to power cycle their routers and/or modems at some hour they're never using the connection. It all depends on what's actually causing the problem whether you're going to have to go to those extremes.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules