Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My Noobish Bluetooth Presentation

My Noobish Bluetooth Presentation
Dex13
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 10:30 PM

So I want to ask for a review if you may of my 5 minute project for Web Design �

Don't be to hard and I would really appreciate the feedback

Click Here

Click on the black bar on the bottom to move on �

Question:

And what is the maximum distance of Bluetooth?

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by Dex13:
So I want to ask for a review if you may of my 5 minute project for Web Design �

Don't be to hard and I would really appreciate the feedback

Question:

1. It is "too," not "to."

2. Way too wordy for a slide presentation. Your audience will not want to be reading all that gibberish. I assume you will be speaking, so keep the wordiness to your speech.

3. Break down your slides by categories, such as "Origin/History," "Implementation," "Pro/Con," etc.

4. I recommend throwing in some more Apple products that have bluetooth such the PowerBooks, keyboard, and hell, even the desktops.

5. 30 ft?
I, ASIMO.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 01:01 AM

More pictures, less writing. It's all in the pictures.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2004, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
More pictures, less writing. It's all in the pictures.
hell, just make it a picture book.

Dex13  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 01:20 AM

So more pictures? � ok

I'm making a splash page tonight, any suggestion on what it should be?

And thx a lot ASIMO for the help

:edit:

I found this:

Transmission Distance � Real world range between 10 and 42 meters.

Transmission Speed � Provides throughput comparable to modems and DSL.

Security � Bluetooth integrates security mechanisms in several layers of its protocol. Connections are generally configured to use authentication and 128-bit encryption. Applications can build their own security on top of Bluetooth connections to make communications even more secure.

Radio power output � as little as 1% of the power output of Wi-Fi.

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2004, 01:20 AM

some 30 meters i think, mine craps out at 7 though...

or was it the other way around? oh shrug!
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2004, 01:01 PM

I give presentations all the time... Steve Jobs does an amazing job (but there are many that are just as good).

These very important factors:

- Keep it very simple. You shouldn't have more then a sentence or two on a slide.

- NEVER EVER EVER give the whole slide at one time! (If you show all of your "bullets" at once, everyone will read them all and then tune out.

- Never read from your slides! (put just key ideas and statistics/numbers)

- Graphics combined with good information make a great presentation.

- Remember - Introduction (what are you going to learn) Start (history) Body (Main Information) Ending (where it's going) RECAP This is very important!

Seriously, watch a Keynote with Steve Jobs and you will get tons of good ideas.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 18, 2004, 01:21 PM

This is for a web design class? Or are you giving a presentation on bluetooth? That is, will people be visiting this page on their own or are you going to be using it as an aid to talk with?

If it's a web design project and you're supposed to be focusing on the design and not the content, then it needs a major overhaul. First, the black bar has got to go. Make it obvious what switches pages. Black on white in a big font is boring. Use more pictures and less words. The "internet" bullet is ugly. Just use a regular bullet.

If it's a presentation that you'll be giving, then still go for less words. Use a single line for each bullet point. Just a key phrase that will help people follow what you're saying. Use lots of pictures. Get rid of the "internet" bullet. Organize your presentation better. Write it out on paper and look at how it flows. Right now, it seems like you just put thought after thought in order as you thought of them. Try to organize them by common topics, introduce the topic, and talk about it.

In either case, use spellcheck. There are multiple spelling errors that I saw, and probably grammatical ones I overlooked.

It's a decent base to work from, but there is a lot that can be done.

P.S. Bluetooth is rated at up to 10 meters (or 30 feet).

Dex13  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 03:18 PM

sweet, I don't believe that it has to be "perfect" it's all html so I don't know how I can time delay bullets unless I make individual pages for that.

The "internet" bullet is just to show that I know how to place something other then the regular [ul][/ul] bullet1.

And it's Web Design not Graphic Design � and I'm not a pro w/ photoshop, just fireworks : )

Um ... yeah I need to check the spelling and grammar maybe i'll do that now and post a revision is a couple of hours.

Oh, and does the text center for everyone? or does it just align left? Does the text mold to your window?

And I'm going to be giving the project to my class. (3-5 minutes)

I was thinking about making a keynote then just slicing it in Fireworks and then exporting to Dreamweaver but my friend let me borrow Keynote and it just sucks horribly on my mac.

So for the progress button(s) should I just add a simple arrow key on the bottom?

AND THX A LOT !!!! REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!
:edit:

Oh and Xeo if I do make a background how can I make the background of the pictures transparent do that only the "picture(s)" show up and not the white?

talisker
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
- NEVER EVER EVER give the whole slide at one time! (If you show all of your "bullets" at once, everyone will read them all and then tune out.
I'd go further. Only use slides for stuff that you can't say. i.e. diagrams, pictures etc. What extra value does repeating on a slide what you're just saying actually have? None. In fact it diminishes what you are saying, because the audience don't really listen anymore.
By far the most interesting presentations to go to are ones where the presenter just talks.

Most people use lots of slides with bullet points etc because:

a) they can
b) Powerpoint has conditioned them to think that a bunch of slides with bullet points is the definition of a presentation
b) it means they don't have to memorise the content

Neither is a valid reason. By all means have notes to hand out at the end for people to take away and refer to, but only at the end.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 05:37 PM

I made a Keynote presentation last semester - it's all about Bluetooth.

Lots of pictures and I think a good layout. Email me if you'd like a look. Nick

Dex13  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 08:22 PM

Ok so I made some changes ...

I now have 3 3x5 cards worth of info while i'm up there, which should be sufficient enough.

I finally found where the Spelling Check was in Dreamweaver so i used that.

And I am really stumped on what my splash page is going to be.

Damn HTML!!!

New Link

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 11:30 PM

Ok so I made some changes ...

I now have 3 3x5 cards worth of info while i'm up there, which should be sufficient enough.

I finally found where the Spelling Check was in Dreamweaver so i used that.

And I am really stumped on what my splash page is going to be.

Damn HTML!!!

New Link
HTML is god... Or at least DHTML that is hand-coded is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules