Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Got a new ride!

Got a new ride! (Page 8)
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Sure. Any car with "sporting pretensions". Not an accord or camry, but a GTI, Mini, WRX, anything that is remotely fun to drive. The manuals will be worth more. You can pretend it's not the case, but it is.
Ferrari 456m GTA.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2010, 06:49 PM

Whatever dude. Can you even drive stick?
Apparently better than you can read. Just a couple posts ago I mentioned that I had a stick Prelude like yours (sans the 4WS though). I've also mentioned that I drove a stick for 20 years - had the following over those 20+ years, all with 5spd:

Datsun 280ZX
the aforementioned Prelude
BMW 328i sedan
BMW 330Ci convertible

All of those are/were available as the SAME EXACT CAR with automatic, and all would have resold for as much or more with automatic. So apparently there are more effeminate males out there than idiots that think their car defines them.

And...defensive? Perhaps it comes across that way. But the truth is - I'm just pointing out that there's a much larger market for cars with automatics than with manuals, regardless of what you may think. Much of that even includes 'fun' cars for people who just don't want to shift all the time. Maybe that's not YOUR market, and that's fine. At times, it hasn't been mine either. But that's no reason to crap on peoples' threads with your myopic opinions disguised as 'expertise'.

From what I can tell, you have specific preferences about what you like and don't like. And you've made some good decisions and some bad decisions on what you've done with your cars. Which makes you pretty much like everyone else. How's it feel to be one of the 'sheeple'?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Ferrari 456m GTA.
No more Ferrari manuals after the California

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
It was funny when I drove my mom's Suburu. I'd never driven an automatic and I kept hitting the break with my left foot as I reached down to shift. It was like I was learning to drive all over again.

*SCREEACH* Sorry. *vroom* *SCREEACH* Sorry. *vroom*
Ha! I used to do that too. I just ended up putting my left foot UNDER the brake pedal (until I had to brake).

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
No more Ferrari manuals after the California
Not going to happen - it's a matter of masculine pride in Italy to drive a manual. There'd be riots.

Plus, if Lambo and Porsche stick with manuals (and can you imagine a GT3 without?), Ferrari will lose sales. Lots of sales.

So don't worry. It's not going to happen.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2010, 07:59 PM

Sadly, no. I'm being serious. Ferrari say that only 10% of their cars are sold with manuals.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2010, 08:02 PM

Sadly, no. I'm being serious. Ferrari say that only 10% of their cars are sold with manuals.
I guess Ferraris don't have any 'sporting pretensions'.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2010, 08:04 PM

For a small company like Ferrari, it makes sense to offer variations of only one transmission, instead of going through the extra work of making a manual for each car, especially when sold in such low numbers. And I really doubt people who want a Fezza are gonna get a Lamborghini and vice versa.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2010, 08:28 PM

Trust me, this will kill them.

Mind you, that's not such a bad thing. I don't know if you've ever dealt with Ferrari but they're a bunch of arrogant tossers who deserve unemployment.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2010, 08:44 PM

Since it was a while ago, I'm guessing it was still when Hyundai made awful, disposable cars. I'd chock that one up to poor engineering all around. For the Nissan, that's more of a freak accident.

Again, automatic transmissions require MAINTENANCE, and are way more complex. Together, this makes them less reliable than a standard transmission. To say otherwise is basically broadcasting your ignorance of the general automotive spectrum.
Wow heaven forbid a car has components that require maintenance. As I have said before an automatic transmission will take much more abuse than a standard. For example I have seen a Shelby GT500(540 hp mustang for those not in the know) with 8XXX kms (5500 miles) With a worn out clutch and a wrecked 3rd gear syncro. I'm guessing most enthusiasts are not exactly careful with their transmissions. I know I'm not. I prefer a standard because its more involving, but that doesn't mean automatic transmissions are all shit.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 29, 2010, 08:55 PM

Since it was a while ago, I'm guessing it was still when Hyundai made awful, disposable cars. I'd chock that one up to poor engineering all around. For the Nissan, that's more of a freak accident.

Again, automatic transmissions require MAINTENANCE, and are way more complex. Together, this makes them less reliable than a standard transmission. To say otherwise is basically broadcasting your ignorance of the general automotive spectrum.
As I said, they didn't even make the car themselves-they had Mitsubishi do it. Kluge city under the hood...just plain ugly. The Nissan had an excuse-the car had apparently been PUSHED quite a distance while in gear before someone thought to put it in neutral. This before it was put on a ship and brought to the States for me to pick up. Since the car had been in government hands while waiting to be shipped, I wound up not paying anything for the repairs, but I was out a really nice car (a 1983 Pulsar NX) while it got fixed, plus the hassle of having it break 130 miles away from home.

Gratuitous car picture here-not my own but the right model and color:

So far the only maintenance I've ever had to do to an automatic is keep the fluid levels right and change a filter now and then. Sure, there are a lot of parts that can wear inside, but I've never even had one indicate it was getting worn.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001 View Post
Wow heaven forbid a car has components that require maintenance. As I have said before an automatic transmission will take much more abuse than a standard. For example I have seen a Shelby GT500(540 hp mustang for those not in the know) with 8XXX kms (5500 miles) With a worn out clutch and a wrecked 3rd gear syncro. I'm guessing most enthusiasts are not exactly careful with their transmissions. I know I'm not. I prefer a standard because its more involving, but that doesn't mean automatic transmissions are all shit.
Sounds like it was completely trashed on the track. If you think an conventional torque-converter will last on a track, well A car that's been on the track can't be held accountable for overall reliability.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 29, 2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
Apparently better than you can read. Just a couple posts ago I mentioned that I had a stick Prelude like yours (sans the 4WS though). I've also mentioned that I drove a stick for 20 years - had the following over those 20+ years, all with 5spd:

Datsun 280ZX
the aforementioned Prelude
BMW 328i sedan
BMW 330Ci convertible
First one... I can't see how an auto is worth more. At all.
Prelude: Non-Si, Non 4ws, run of the mill model, right?
3 serieses: Not m3s, no sporting pretenses. A normal 3 series would be worth more with an auto because there are a lot of secretaries in the world. But as soon as it's an M3, it reverses. M3+Manual= most expensive. M3+ auto= fail.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 29, 2010, 09:28 PM

Seriously, you guys still argue with Rob? Seriously?

How quaint. You guys should know better.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2010, 09:52 PM

Yeah this argument is getting realllllllly old.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2010, 10:00 PM

Just BTFM

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2010, 10:04 PM

Sounds like it was completely trashed on the track. If you think an conventional torque-converter will last on a track, well A car that's been on the track can't be held accountable for overall reliability.
To be fair I don't know the history of the vehicle. There are reasons why many people prefer automatics in drag racers. Reliability, less to think about when you have to time your shifts perfectly, not having to let off the power when you shift. As for track use most cars simply don't have the cooling required for more than a handful of laps.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2010, 10:30 PM

I agree, so I'll stop with the anecdotes and opinions and end with a simple fact.

Why Automatics Are Catching Up In Fuel Economy And Performance

The relevant info:

In 2009 more than 91 percent of cars sold in the U.S. had automatic transmissions, and the number was as high as 88 percent as far back as 1995.
Bottom line: the market for automatics is nine times larger than the market for manuals. Are there niches? Sure. But, I'll repeat: nine times larger. So calling someone stupid for getting an automatic in any car is, well, stupid. Enough said.

Sorry all for extending the derail.
( Last edited by CreepDogg; Sep 29, 2010 at 10:42 PM. )

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Seriously, you guys still argue with Rob? Seriously?

How quaint. You guys should know better.
Come on. It's fun!

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2010, 10:51 PM

First one... I can't see how an auto is worth more. At all.
Prelude: Non-Si, Non 4ws, run of the mill model, right?
3 serieses: Not m3s, no sporting pretenses. A normal 3 series would be worth more with an auto because there are a lot of secretaries in the world. But as soon as it's an M3, it reverses. M3+Manual= most expensive. M3+ auto= fail.
If you really want to know, Prelude was an Si, but not 4WS or ALB. I believe at the time, the Si model meant a fuel-injected engine over a carbureted one.

Maybe you should start a website, listing all cars with a 'Rob-o-meter' on their 'sporting pretenses', so everyone would know the Rob-approved combinations!

Oh, wait. No one cares. Never mind.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 29, 2010, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001 View Post
Your isolated anecdote totally reverses the situation!!

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 30, 2010, 01:08 AM

I agree, so I'll stop with the anecdotes and opinions and end with a simple fact.

Why Automatics Are Catching Up In Fuel Economy And Performance

The relevant info:
Emphasis on CATCHING UP.

Sure. The market is larger. And the market is larger for FWD boring shitboxes like a Camry, than lamborghinis.

That must mean Camrys are better than lambos. I mean, the market is bigger, so it is CLEARLY better!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2010, 02:37 AM

This is just plain wrong. The SMG M3 is sought after (and thus worth) much more than a manual.

richwig83  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2010, 03:53 AM

This is just plain wrong. The SMG M3 is sought after (and thus worth) much more than a manual.
This cannot be the case.... Rob says so!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2010, 09:12 AM

That must mean Camrys are better than lambos.
For, say, hauling families and groceries around, yes, I'd reckon they are. For selected other things, maybe not so much. But then, only people with wives and jobs would probably understand that.

And, there are some people who care about those things that don't want something 'boring' like a Camry. And that's where cars like GTIs come in. So now that we're back on topic, please continue....
( Last edited by CreepDogg; Sep 30, 2010 at 09:28 AM. )

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2010, 09:29 AM

For, say, hauling families and groceries around, yes, I'd reckon they are. For selected other things, maybe not so much. But then, only people with wives and jobs would probably understand that.

And, there are some people who care about those things that don't want something 'boring' like a Camry. And that's where cars like GTIs come in. So now that we're back on topic, please continue....
zing!!!!

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 30, 2010, 10:34 AM

Perhaps there's something we should all get out in the open and maybe use as a ground rule: there are "practical" cars, "fun" cars and sometimes "fun cars that are practical," (and the converse, of course, that some practical cars are fun).

Using this as a basis, Rob has a point that Lambos are more "fun" than Camrys-in a rather extreme comparison. On the other hand, a Camry is enormously more practical because it has been designed to have a lot more passenger and cargo space. Which does not mean it can't be "fun" too, just not in the same way that a Lambo can be. And frankly it takes someone with a LOT of skill to be able to do more than just visually impress others with a Lamborghini.

I firmly believe that there should be at least bi-annual driving tests for EVERYONE, and every single driver's license should specify the maximum horsepower, maximum speed, and maximum quickness of any car they're allowed to drive. GVW should probably be in there too. Put those "I have to do my eye makeup in traffic" chickies in SmartCars or Fiestas instead of Expeditions and maybe they won't feel like they're in a tank and thus take driving seriously.

Perhaps "taking driving seriously" is the important factor here anyway. I've taken driving seriously since January 1976, when I was driving "too fast for conditions." I got my car onto some blowing snow on a freeway and wound up going sideways along the median guardrail posts for quite a distance. It destroyed the car, got me ticketed (at 16 and with a fairly fresh driver license), and taught me a strong lesson in my mortality. I am sometimes a cautious driver, sometime an assertive driver, but I'm ALWAYS a serious driver.

I cannot attribute any seriousness to the kids that rev their Eclipses (or riced-out Neons, or whatever) at traffic lights; I see far too many news reports of what happens in the wee hours when two or more such kids get together on a relatively empty chunk of road.

Now somewhere in between my possibly excessive seriousness and the complete lack of any seriousness of the "I wanna die drag racing in my SRX" crowd is where most drivers' attitudes and styles fall. Rob likes the fast, quick end of that scale, and he believes that such cars and driving styles are good. For him, they might be. For most of the others who've posted in this thread, that end of the scale isn't their style. I don't think I'd be exaggerating to suggest that almost all of us find the "I wanna die drag racing" crowd to be contemptible for a number of reasons.

Maybe we could start trying to see where other members are coming from when they say "I really like my..." car. I'll start: I really like my Civic because it's comfortable, I can do everything from take my wife out on a date to haul the dogs to the vet with it (blankets over the back seat for the latter, of course), and it's both efficient and responsive. I like a lot of the "exciting" cars Rob has mentioned. I've ridden in a recent Mustang, and it's got so much pick up and power that I think it should have a separate qualification test before anyone is allowed to drive it. I've also been a passenger in a Mini S (surprised that I fit in it, I found it to be actually quite comfortable), and that was a really fun ride.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 30, 2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I really like my Civic because it's comfortable, I can do everything from take my wife out on a date to haul the dogs to the vet with it (blankets over the back seat for the latter, of course).
You sure it's not the former

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 30, 2010, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You sure it's not the former
Quite sure. Blankets go somewhere else for that...

Railroader
Banned
Sep 30, 2010, 02:27 PM

TOO MUCH INFORMATION [/all caps]

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA [/plugs ears]

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 30, 2010, 02:32 PM

<large, wolfish grin!>

hayesk
Sep 30, 2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Discounting anecdotal evidence, however, is just as fallacious.
Only in the case of disproving a claim of absolute fact.
"Honda Transmissions have never failed before 100,000 miles."
"Mine failed after 85000."
- is valid.

"85% of Honda Transmissions last beyond 100,000 miles."
"I know four people with Hondas. Three had theirs go after 85,000."
- is irrelevant.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 30, 2010, 08:50 PM

The Motor Forum :: E46 M3 - manual or SMG?

BMW owners:

"I've driven both and would take the manual"

"Manual."

"manual,manual ,manual,manual,manual,manual etc etc"

"Having no experience of either box in an M3 I would assume that the SMG would be fun for 10 minutes and then you'd just wish you had gone for a manual. SMG seem to be slightly cheaper however."

"Maybe that is for a reason?

Pricing tends to reflect demand, so if the car with the more expensive option (SMG) is cheaper on the used market, I think that speaks volumes...
Get the manual box, you know it makes sense really!"

"manual!"

"If it's the driving experience that you value above all else, then surely you would want a manual car on 18 inch alloys with no weight adding options ?.

I am not convinced by SMG at all - it removes all the tactility of a nice manual system, they are clonky in everyday use and who gives a monkey's chuff if you can change gear in 80 milliseconds - that ain't going to put a smile on my face when tackling the Fosseway."

"What he said. Not only is the SMG horrid and nowhere near state of the art for paddle shifters (even if you like that sort of thing), but the manual change is particularly sweet and fluid."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2010, 09:02 PM

You put an awful lot of stock in what people on forums say...

Railroader
Banned
Sep 30, 2010, 09:09 PM

It is better to trust books.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 30, 2010, 09:09 PM

Enthusiasts. People who are into that car, generally go on a forum about that car, to discuss it, improve it, fix little things, etc.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Perhaps there's something we should all get out in the open and maybe use as a ground rule: there are "practical" cars, "fun" cars and sometimes "fun cars that are practical," (and the converse, of course, that some practical cars are fun).

Using this as a basis, Rob has a point that Lambos are more "fun" than Camrys-in a rather extreme comparison. On the other hand, a Camry is enormously more practical because it has been designed to have a lot more passenger and cargo space. Which does not mean it can't be "fun" too, just not in the same way that a Lambo can be. And frankly it takes someone with a LOT of skill to be able to do more than just visually impress others with a Lamborghini.

I firmly believe that there should be at least bi-annual driving tests for EVERYONE, and every single driver's license should specify the maximum horsepower, maximum speed, and maximum quickness of any car they're allowed to drive. GVW should probably be in there too. Put those "I have to do my eye makeup in traffic" chickies in SmartCars or Fiestas instead of Expeditions and maybe they won't feel like they're in a tank and thus take driving seriously.

Perhaps "taking driving seriously" is the important factor here anyway. I've taken driving seriously since January 1976, when I was driving "too fast for conditions." I got my car onto some blowing snow on a freeway and wound up going sideways along the median guardrail posts for quite a distance. It destroyed the car, got me ticketed (at 16 and with a fairly fresh driver license), and taught me a strong lesson in my mortality. I am sometimes a cautious driver, sometime an assertive driver, but I'm ALWAYS a serious driver.

I cannot attribute any seriousness to the kids that rev their Eclipses (or riced-out Neons, or whatever) at traffic lights; I see far too many news reports of what happens in the wee hours when two or more such kids get together on a relatively empty chunk of road.

Now somewhere in between my possibly excessive seriousness and the complete lack of any seriousness of the "I wanna die drag racing in my SRX" crowd is where most drivers' attitudes and styles fall. Rob likes the fast, quick end of that scale, and he believes that such cars and driving styles are good. For him, they might be. For most of the others who've posted in this thread, that end of the scale isn't their style. I don't think I'd be exaggerating to suggest that almost all of us find the "I wanna die drag racing" crowd to be contemptible for a number of reasons.

Maybe we could start trying to see where other members are coming from when they say "I really like my..." car. I'll start: I really like my Civic because it's comfortable, I can do everything from take my wife out on a date to haul the dogs to the vet with it (blankets over the back seat for the latter, of course), and it's both efficient and responsive. I like a lot of the "exciting" cars Rob has mentioned. I've ridden in a recent Mustang, and it's got so much pick up and power that I think it should have a separate qualification test before anyone is allowed to drive it. I've also been a passenger in a Mini S (surprised that I fit in it, I found it to be actually quite comfortable), and that was a really fun ride.
Let this be the end to the debate. I don't think any of us expected a consensus anyway.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2010, 09:48 PM

Enthusiasts. People who are into that car, generally go on a forum about that car, to discuss it, improve it, fix little things, etc.
So the majority of any cars' enthusiasts are regulars on a forum for that car?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 30, 2010, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
So the majority of any cars' enthusiasts are regulars on a forum for that car?
The "posted on a forum" fallacy is strong. If people who complained about a product online were truly representative of the universe of users, then Apple would have pulled the iPhone 4 and Steve would be eating organic bologna sandwiches in a Frigidaire box.

It's obvious that a majority of the posters in the thread(s) Rob chose agree with his idea. But what about people who don't complain or boast online? There must be far more of them. What would be a much more accurate way to gauge popularity of the two options in the car in question would be to see what sales numbers were. And to see whether there was a pattern of repeat sales for one versus the other.

It's really tempting to use "look at all these posters who agree with me" as "evidence," but it's not evidence at all.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 30, 2010, 11:30 PM

K. Everyone I know who owns an Sti or WRX posts on Nasioc. Everyone I know with an S-car uses either Quattroworld or Audiworld. When I've met people who own S-cars in other states, they ask if I'm on one or the other. I'm sure there are a few enthusiasts who aren't, but a very large chunk is. Think about it. Free knowledge and advice about something you are into. This could mean the difference between what exhaust to get, to what type of transmission to get, etc etc etc.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2010, 11:39 PM

"Everyone I know"

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2010, 11:46 PM

This "argument" is so mind-blowingly unquantifiable that it's like I came up with it.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 30, 2010, 11:51 PM

I don't claim to know the entire universe, I am merely sharing my findings. Almost every single person said that the SMG M3 was less desirable. The few that didn't, said they drove in the city, all the time. So... I don't know what you want. I backed up my viewpoint with multiple other enthusiasts who shared an identical viewpoint, which was that enthusiasts don't drive automatic transmissions, and they are worth less. I'm done here.

*Changed for brass players rock. Enjoy your vehicles, no matter what they are.
( Last edited by downinflames68; Oct 1, 2010 at 12:00 AM. )

Railroader
Banned
Sep 30, 2010, 11:54 PM

I am so happy I am not defined as an "enthusiast".

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2010, 11:56 PM

I understand what you're saying Rob, but you can't make an argument out of such a small sample size and specific group. The only way to get an accurate view would be to take a look at percentage of new M3s sold with SMG vs. manual and then compare the take rate for used SMG M3s vs. manuals. Sadly, I don't think BMW even offers the former, and finding the latter information would be even harder.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2010, 11:57 PM

I'm done here.
Fat chance of that. That would require you having any amount of self control.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2010, 11:57 PM

I don't claim to know the entire universe, I am merely sharing my findings. Almost every single person said that the SMG M3 was less desirable. The few that didn't, said they drove in the city, all the time. So... I don't know what you want. I backed up my viewpoint with multiple other enthusiasts who shared an identical viewpoint, which was that enthusiasts don't drive automatic transmissions, and they are worth less. I'm done here.

*Have fun with your lemming mobiles.
That last part saddens me Rob. Still having to insult other’s things because you don’t seem to “get it”?

There still seems to be a lot of soul searching that you need to do.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2010, 12:01 AM

Now back to this thread’s topic.

How’s the new ride handling after you’ve been using it for a while?

richwig83  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2010, 04:52 PM

Very well! Got an anti lift kit which should tighten the front end up a bit! Seems to have got a little more responsive since I've had it, I think the DSG adapts to how you drive, so I'm told!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2010, 06:19 PM

Does that mean it doesn't cock the rear inside wheel in tight turns anymore? Always thought that was the funnest part of the GTI

Forum Links
Forum Rules