Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > screen capture export formats

screen capture export formats
cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2004, 10:32 PM

when you use the command+shift+3 (or 4) to take a screenie, it gives it to you saved on your desktop as a .pdf file. Is there any way to change the default format or should I just open each pic in preview and then export them to .jpg ?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2004, 01:47 AM

The screenshot format can not be changed. Open in Preview and export as whatever you want.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2004, 04:30 PM

I find myself holding down the control key (eg. Apple+Shift+Control+3) which will copy the screenshot directly to the clipboard, and then in Preview choosing File > New File from Clipboard and exporting the image.

This might result in better quality...

qyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2004, 04:41 PM

The cmd-shift-3 and -4 actions just call the program /usr/bin/screencapture with the appropriate args.

You could probably do some clever stuff by (for example) renaming screencapture to something else and making a new perl script called screencapture. Then your perl script can interpret the args (like the output file), call the real screencapture, then post-process the output to convert the file or open it in Preview or whatever.

I actually wrote a command-line program to do basic screen captures to jpeg, and then replaced the original with my version. Unfortunately, my quick hack can't do most of the cool stuff that the real screencapture can do. (So I did the above perl hack to call the real screencapture when mine couldn't handle the arguments.)

Be creative and I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something that suits your needs.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 10:43 PM

Search for SnapNDrag lets you make any file type and change quality etc.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2004, 03:36 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules