Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > renaming lots of files

renaming lots of files
BWSchultz
May 30, 2001, 06:15 PM

Hey, does anyone know a good way to rename a large number of files? But here's the catch: For free. I see this program called "A Better Finder Rename" but if I can avoid the $15 registration fee, that would be nice. So I'm looking for something reliable that is freeware. Any suggestions?

AppleScript
Forum Regular
May 30, 2001, 07:26 PM

AppleScript can be used to batch rename a large number of files if there is some consistent name you want the files to be renamed to. For example, to add an index number to files:
tell application "Finder"
repeat with filenum from 1 to (count folder "Rename folder")
set the name of (item filenum of folder "Rename folder") to (name of item filenum of folder "Rename folder") & " " & filenum
end repeat
end tell

Change "Rename folder" to the name of the enclosing folder(and path, if it is not on the desktop.) The last two parameters in the third line(" " and filenum) can be replaced by the text you want added.

(38)

BWSchultz  (op)
May 30, 2001, 08:17 PM

I have never used apple script before so your message was a tad confusing. However, I was able to make it work. Unfortuneately, I can't figure out how to make it go 01,02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10 so that the files stay in the correct order. I'd only have to change file names for 9 files if the total was under 99. However, none would be correct for over 100 files, which I have several of, because they need to go 001, 002, etc.

AppleScript
Forum Regular
May 31, 2001, 12:48 AM

This script will do the job you wanted for up to 999 files. As before, the folder used can be changed.

tell application "Finder"
repeat with filenum from 1 to (count folder "Rename folder")
set filetext to filenum as text
if filenum > 100 then
if (count filetext) = 1 then set filetext to "00" & filetext
if (count filetext) = 2 then set filetext to "0" & filetext
end if
if filenum > 10 and filenum < 100 then
if (count filetext) = 1 then set filetext to "0" & filetext
end if
set the name of (item filenum of folder "Rename folder") to (name of item filenum of folder "Rename folder") & " " & filetext
end repeat
end tell

(39)

SunSeeker
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2001, 06:03 AM

I prefer abfr, which you already mentioned. It is very powerful, you can do 9 files at a time until you register and you just select your files, ctrl-click and select rename from the menu, try it.

File buddy can also do this, but for free (sort of, it should be paid for, but works anyway) and in a more limited way. With file buddy you can't specify how the files will be ordered, I assume it is done by name.
There are several other things abfr does that file buddy doesn't.

File Buddy Screen Shots;
One, Two, Three

edit:images too big for to show in page directly

------------------
Sun'

The Creative Lounge
???

[This message has been edited by SunSeeker (edited 05-31-2001).]

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2001, 07:47 PM

Check out Quick Rename at www.download.com