Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Setting up SE T610/616 so I can browse internet on PowerBook thru Bluetooth?

Setting up SE T610/616 so I can browse internet on PowerBook thru Bluetooth?
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2004, 10:39 AM

I have Fido GPRS, with a Sony Ericsson T610. I am able to browse the net on the phone, but haven't figured out how to set up OS X yet to browse the net thru the phone. Anyone have some pointers?

This is what I've gotten so far, but are there specific OS X settings for this in terms of the phone number etc? I'm looking in the Bluetooth Network Preferences but can't find it.

APN: internet.fido.ca
User: fido
Password: fido

leave everything else as default.

Then Preferred mode/service is:
GPRS and GSM

For your Palm or Mac, to do a dial-up connection:
use this:
dial number: *99# , if it doesn't work, then use another one which adds the CID= field to it, I forgot exact format now.

User: fido

leave everything default, use DHCP service.

If you want to use its proxy (web) server (you don't have to), then point it to:
rapido.fido.ca port : 8080 (for HTTP, SOCKS etc).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 4, 2004, 06:34 PM

These are pix of the network settings for Bluetooth. The first is the main page for Bluetooth.

This is the page I get when I choose "Configure".

This is part of the drop down list I get for the "Modem" setting. The T610 is not listed.

This is the Internet Connect application.

This is what I get when I edit the configuration. I have the Ericsson driver for the Modem, but the T610 isn't listed. It's the same list as above, and I've tried a bunch of from the list.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jan 4, 2004 at 07:03 PM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2004, 10:29 PM

Ah. Found these pages:

http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/tzones/

http://www.taniwha.org.uk/

Got it working, first, with dialup - says 2400 bps. Is that 2400x8=19200? It certainly felt faster than 2400 bps.

Then I got GPRS working with the scripts in that second link. Even faster. GPRS has weird settings. The internet APN is the "telephone number".

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2004, 12:07 PM

BTW, I had to use the Bluetooth setup wizard on my Mac before it would work. Check out the first link I provided in the above message.

For dialup the Internet Connect settings for Bluetooth were:

Telephone Number: *99#
Account name: fido

(Note that my provider is Fido in Canada. If you're not on Fido, your settings will be different.)

Also, in the first link in the message above, there is info about setting up PPP for GSM dialup. I followed the instructions there. For the modem driver in the network settings I used the Ericsson T39 28.8 V110 driver and it worked.

For GPRS I downloaded the GPRS scripts (see second link above) and chose the appropriate one in the network settings modem driver. The settings are as follows:

Telephone Number: internet.fido.ca
Account name: <blank>
Password: <blank>

Note that in the wizard I selected the dialup option not the data option, and the APN address of "internet.fido.ca" goes under the Telephone Number. Strange, but that's the way it works.

The phone settings for GPRS are:
APN: internet.fido.ca
User ID: fido

The only downside is that connections weren't overly stable. I'd lose the connection from time to time despite having good signal.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2004, 09:25 PM

Just an update...

The connection actually was stable, but it would just shut off after a minute or so. Running ping every 30 sec would solve the problem.

OK. I'll stop talking to myself...

Forum Links
Forum Rules