Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > **HELP - Airport Extreme not networking to PC

**HELP - Airport Extreme not networking to PC
cougar337
Jun 18, 2003, 12:00 PM

I have a Airport Extreme that I have between my PC and my Powerbook G4 17inch OS 10.2.6. I have the Basestation connected to my PC from the LAN port on the base station to the Ethernet card in my PC.

I have gone through the Airport setup wizard several times, Soft rest the Base Station and powered off/on the base station. I know the Ethernet cable works fine because I can directly plug the Powerbook to my PC and get to my shared drives just fine.

When trying to ping from the PC to the base station it fails and vice versa. I also have a strong signal between my Powerbook and Base station. I'm using DHCP and it automaticlly assigns the IP addresses to the Airport Card and Basestation......

It was working at one time, I dont know what I did to cause it to not work any more...any suggestions?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 18, 2003, 04:06 PM

If you post what your PC's OS is, and what the complete settings for its network card are, we can probably walk you through this.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cougar337  (op)
Jun 18, 2003, 05:51 PM

oops, I figured I would miss something. I am running Windows XP Pro. I'm not quite sure what you are asking for when it comes to my network cards complete configuration is...When I get home tonight I should be able to give you nay info you may need.

Thanks

cougar337  (op)
Jun 19, 2003, 12:19 AM

Update: it's fixed. On a whim I looked into the settings in XP. Opened up the Ethernet cards properties and clicked on TPC/IP connection and hit properties there.

In the General tab I found that it had been set to us a specific IP address every time. changed to obtain IP address automatically and also set to obtain DNS server address automatically and applied.

Guess what? going over to OS X and SMB'd and behold, it worked!!!

Thanks for giving a hand guys

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 19, 2003, 09:06 AM

Glad you got it worked out. I was asking for things like IP address settings, whether anything was bridged or not (XP likes to bridge things if it can-who knows why?), and so on. Obviously I was on the right track , but it's even better that you fixed it yourself.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules