Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Problems Sharing a Hard Drive Over a Network

Problems Sharing a Hard Drive Over a Network
BladeRunner80
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2004, 04:11 AM

Okay here is the dilemma:

I am trying to set up my second harddrive on my powermac so that my roommate can connect to it via his computer over a wireless network. He has a powermac as well. I've gone to the drive permissions under get info, but I really don't know what I am suppost to be doing. When I test it out with my powerbook by connecting to my powermac, I login as a guest and can only mount the user volumes (i.e. the dropboxes) but my hard drive isn't listed there. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks!
Bill
iMac G5 (iSight)
Powerbook G4 12"

stevesnj
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by BladeRunner80:
Okay here is the dilemma:

I am trying to set up my second harddrive on my powermac so that my roommate can connect to it via his computer over a wireless network. He has a powermac as well. I've gone to the drive permissions under get info, but I really don't know what I am suppost to be doing. When I test it out with my powerbook by connecting to my powermac, I login as a guest and can only mount the user volumes (i.e. the dropboxes) but my hard drive isn't listed there. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks!
Bill
Under System Preferences>sharing>check 'personal file sharing'
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

BladeRunner80  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2004, 11:39 AM

I already had that checked, doesn't that just allow people to connect to your drop box? It says that when you check it, it only allows people to connect to your public folders, how do I make folders "public." I always assummed it was just the drop box under my user account folder.

Thanks
iMac G5 (iSight)
Powerbook G4 12"

aaanorton
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 12:18 PM

You need this.

cougar337
May 15, 2004, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
You need this.
this was a huge help, I was trying to treat my OSX like a windows box and share the directory that wasn't in the public folder

Forum Links
Forum Rules