Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 20'' Cinema display (use as a TV?)

20'' Cinema display (use as a TV?)
EvanV
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2005, 09:34 PM

I know this is probably a dumb question but I dont know anything about moniters at all. I haev a 15'' PowerBook and wanted to get an LCD screen but was debating between the 20'' Cinema Display or the Dell W1900 19'' HDTV LCD. Just wondering if they 20'' can display tv images or you can hook up a console to it and play games on it?

Thanks!

EvanV  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2005, 11:45 PM

Bump.

Anyone? Please?

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 02:00 AM

Not natively. You'll need something like EyeTV or Studio TVR to do this. A few hundred bucks at least.

daiSho
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2005, 04:47 AM

bump for you. i'm really wanting to do this as well at times, but don't see a way to play live HDtv signals into the cinema display out there at all currently... regular SD television signals seem a waste of all that resolution..!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 21, 2005, 08:47 PM

Well, you might be able to get an HDTV cable box with DVI output.

tooki

daiSho
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2005, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by tooki:

tooki
my HD cable box has component RGB and HDMI outputs, its the SA8300HD model... i figure the HDMI is out due to the encryption, but was wondering if perhaps going from the component RGB's to VGA, and from VGA to DVI in some fashion would do the trick... i can run VGA directly to many of my RGB sources, not sure if it works in the other direction though, w/ the addition of the DVI conversion at the end to contend w/..

samm
Jan 24, 2005, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by tooki:

tooki
The Cinema display does not support HDCP, so you will not find a cable box with DVI output that works. All cable boxes these days use HDCP with DVI or HDMI.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2005, 07:01 PM

I posted my review of the W1900 here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=w1900

If you are interested in a display that can function as a tv then i think you are better off with an lcd that has the tuner and component inputs already bult into it, like the w1900. I still have reservations about the image quality on lcd tvs, esp w respect to console gaming.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Jan 26, 2005, 12:42 AM

PB users ready to plunk down their cash on a 20" Cinema Display to watch DVD's, might want to re-think their purchase, especially if this would be the primary use of their display.

The following is an older thread. Not sure if it is still an issue, but nonetheless, here it is:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=92595

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Forum Links
Forum Rules