Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Son of a...

Son of a...
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 3, 2010, 11:20 PM

So it seems that the street sweeper came by, and swept my driver's side mirror right off0. of the car. The po-lice finally show up to take a report. I show him the very clear path the broom took around my car, which obviously brought it into mirror busting range, as well as the brush marks on my tires. No big mystery as to what happened. And he agrees, yeah, the street sweeper busted your mirror. He then tells me that no way will the city will pay for the damage. He elaborated that they will tell me that my case is circumstantial, and unless I have video clearly (Cop's emphasis, not mine) showing the pick-up broom hitting and breaking the mirror, they will deny the claim out of hand. So now my mirror dangles precariously by a wire, gently swaying in the breeze and messing up my paint, and I, my friends, am pissed.

Carry on.

PS: I unplugged the mirror and tossed it in the trunk, so it's not actually swinging in the breeze. I was just trying to jazz up the story a little.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Railroader
Banned
Oct 3, 2010, 11:22 PM

Next time, record the conversation.

And post it on here.

Please.

PS: That sucks.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2010, 11:31 PM

That's what you get with ObamaCare.

SCNR

-t

downinflames68
Baninated
Oct 4, 2010, 01:10 AM

I'd light a street sweeper on fire. And when the cops show up, clearly explain there is no way you'll pay for damages unless they have video evidence.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2010, 01:14 AM

Problems solved. Who needs perfection.

-t

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2010, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
I'd light a street sweeper on fire. And when the cops show up, clearly explain there is no way you'll pay for damages unless they have video evidence.
Ya do know that if the wrong person read the above, that they’d possibly be able to press charges on you for threatening the life of a gov’t employee right?

T.I:
Sorry about your car dude, luckily my apartment has a place to park for the tenants.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 4, 2010, 01:59 AM

Call the local newspaper before calling the city. They're looking for news to print, especially low-cost news. And coverage along with a printed picture can do wonders with the city.

bstone
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2010, 02:14 AM

Can we see?

Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2010, 02:45 AM

Don't street sweepers usually require cars to be off the roads when they're scheduled to come by?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bstone
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2010, 02:49 AM

In my city, parking on the street when it's cleaning day is ticket and immediate tow.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2010, 07:18 AM

True - but the street sweeper could have been going down a regular city street (one that wasn't scheduled for cleaning) to get to a street that was scheduled for cleaning.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 4, 2010, 08:08 AM

Sweepers around here tend to just go around parked cars-though I haven't seen one clip a parked car here. At least not yet. Some places actually plan and schedule street cleaning, and those would be the places that tell you to get your car off the street or get a ticket. Kind of hard to do in places that don't have off-street parking though.

Think, have you considered lots of photodocumentation and a trip to small claims court? It would probably be worth it to the city to fix your car (several hundred dollars) over having to send a lawyer to small claims court to argue that "we didn't do it, nobody saw us do it, and you can't prove anything anyway." In Texas you can represent yourself in two different levels of small claims for $2000 or $5000 max (depending on which court you go to) and the court is actually built to handle Joe Citizen stating his case without the legalese. Works pretty well.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2010, 09:23 AM

What car do you have TI?
If you don't get anywhere with reimbursement from the agency behind the sweeper, you'll probably be able to head over to eBay or your local scrap yard to find one.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2010, 09:33 AM

Could it NOT have been a careless driver?

hayesk
Oct 4, 2010, 10:26 AM

Unfortunately, the evidence is circumstantial. How do you know a truck didn't come by before the street sweeper? I wouldn't expect the city to pay, and I wouldn't expect you to be able to win in small claims court either - it'd be a gamble as to whether the judge believes it was the street sweeper or not.

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
What car do you have TI?
If you don't get anywhere with reimbursement from the agency behind the sweeper, you'll probably be able to head over to eBay or your local scrap yard to find one.
It's a [Model redacted due to unsolicited opinions on what vehicle should have been bought].

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
T.I:
Sorry about your car dude, luckily my apartment has a place to park for the tenants.
Well, I had parked on the street to unload groceries, but I planned on going back out and putting it in the lot when I came back. But I ended up walking, and when I came home I was a wee bit tipsy, so I left it where it was. I figured that the meters are free on the weekend, so why bother? Lesson learned there.

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Could it NOT have been a careless driver?
That's actually what I thought at first. It wasn't until later in the afternoon, I walked out and the sun wasn't behind my building anymore. You could clearly see the broom marks on the street, and and as I said, across my tires. You have to be pretty close, close enough to take of a mirror, to run those brushes against the tires. In the driver's defense, he probably didn't even know he hit it.

They don't schedule the street sweeping here, they just go out late at night when the streets are fairly empty. Many mornings you can see where all the parked cars have been swept around during the night.
Nemo me impune lacesset

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2010, 10:35 AM

I'd "accidentally" sideswipe the streetcleaner with an Abrahms tank, then deny I had anything to do with it and say it was actually the Prius that past me a few minutes earlier that did the damage.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
It's a [Model redacted due to unsolicited opinions on what vehicle should have been bought].
I hope it's not an automatic - those don't hold value as much as manual enthusiast models.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I hope it's not an automatic - those don't hold value as much as manual enthusiast models.
You forgot to mention that you're looking for a job and would like some help from him.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Yeah, sure you would.

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2010, 11:16 AM

You lot will never know!
Nemo me impune lacesset

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2010, 11:26 AM

Your lack of answer is telling enough.

Sealobo
Oct 4, 2010, 11:28 AM

enthusiasts are irrational. if you argue with one, you too would become irrational.

Sealobo
Oct 4, 2010, 11:30 AM

PS: thank god my car folds up its mirrors when locked. haha.

PS: no i am not religious.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2010, 11:31 AM

Hey, don't worry, if it's an automatic, 'enthusiasts' won't waste their time with you. Score!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
enthusiasts are irrational. if you argue with one, you too would become irrational.
I like pizza!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Railroader
Banned
Oct 4, 2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
You lot will never know!
I'll bet a $100 it's an automatic SUV and your turn signals have never been used. Since you won't disavow this as the truth, then I am going with that. You owe me $100

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 4, 2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
You forgot to mention that you're looking for a job and would like some help from him.
*like*

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 4, 2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
*like*
Let's stay on ONE topic, shall we?

andi*pandi
Oct 4, 2010, 12:31 PM

That sucks. It's probably just about what your deductible would be to fix too. A neighbor hit our mirror once, it was about $800. Luckily he fessed up though and paid us.

You need CSI to analyze the paint samples and prove the streetsweeper has your paint on it.

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2010, 04:39 PM

Well, $100 bucks at the junk yard, and of course they didn't have it in the right color, so I'll have to get it painted and see if the scratches on my door/fender can be buffed out. Off to the paint guy tomorrow.
Nemo me impune lacesset

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 4, 2010, 04:43 PM

An adventure for over $100 isn't much of an adventure, especially when no damsels are in distress, and the dragon is a street sweeper. I hope the thing didn't hurt your tires when it marked them up...

richwig83
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2010, 04:43 PM

MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

reader50
Administrator
Oct 4, 2010, 04:59 PM

With no posted schedule, it is the job of the driver to not hit parked cars. Actually, that's a good truism in general.

Measure the mirror clearance out from your tire edges. Use the mirror on the other side to be sure of a good value. Then check on a street sweeper - for the brushes to work on your tires, is there enough clearance for the mirror? If the answer is 'No', your chances in Small Claims look good. He drove too close.

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
With no posted schedule, it is the job of the driver to not hit parked cars. Actually, that's a good truism in general.

Measure the mirror clearance out from your tire edges. Use the mirror on the other side to be sure of a good value. Then check on a street sweeper - for the brushes to work on your tires, is there enough clearance for the mirror? If the answer is 'No', your chances in Small Claims look good. He drove too close.
Good idea. I did take plenty of pictures, from every angle. Time to get out the yardstick.
Nemo me impune lacesset

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2010, 02:59 AM

and what did your all mighty stick prove?

Forum Links
Forum Rules