Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Icons disappearing???

Icons disappearing???
jmousseau44
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2003, 07:12 AM

I know this isn't a major problem but has anyone had problems with icons being replaced with a generic "white paper" icon in OS 9.2.2? It's the strangest thing because it seems to be tied to my firewire hard drive. When I start up with the drive powered the icons appear as they should, when it's not connected they disappear. Everything seems to still work fine but it is "slightly" bugging me.

Thanks for any response,

Jason

Ti PowerBook G4 867mHz
768 Ram
Fantom 120 gig firewire HD
OS 9.2.2
OS X 10.2.3

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2003, 11:35 AM

Sounds like you need to rebuild the desktop file. There are 2 ways to do this. First way is to restart and hold Command+Option until you get to the Finder and get a window asking if you want to rebuild. The other way (which I think is best) is to get TechTool Lite (the free version) and delete the Desktob DB file with the program. When you restart the Finder will automatically recreate the Desktop DB file, which I think it better than repairing it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules