Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Where does iTunes keep its disc info?

Where does iTunes keep its disc info?
bojangles
Senior User
Jun 14, 2001, 08:21 AM

Okay. Three interrelated questions:

1. What file contains all of iTunes' disc info (eg. disc names, track names)? I'd like to know how to back it up, in case I ever decide to reinstall the OS, or something.

2. What file contains this info for iTunes.app (eg. the Mac OS X version)?

3. Is there any way to copy the information from one to the other?

Thanks!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

bayz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2001, 03:26 PM

I think that it keeps it in the "iTunes Music Library" file in the documents folder.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2001, 07:50 PM

Hi!

The info about Audio CDs is stored in the resource fork (hey! Apple says that resource forks are not desirable under OS X? May they eat their own dog food more often? I say yes) of the file "CD Remote Programs" located here:

~/Library/Preferences/CD Remote Programs

You cannot edit it directly with any app bundled with Mac OS X, but you can use my freeware app that allows you to view the stored disc info, sort'em, filter'em and export to text them 

The application is named "eeCD" and you can find more info here: http://homepage.mac.com/eevyl/soft.html

P.S. The phrase in your signature is wrong, it is "Aunque la mona se vista de seda, mona se queda"

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Jun 15, 2001, 09:02 AM

First of all, thank you both. I probably would have known that thing about the Library in the Documents folder, except I keep my Documents folder invisible. (I never use it, but I know some programs�eg. iTunes�need it to be there.

Secondly, eevyl� thanks for the info on the dicho. Actually, I've seen it both ways, and from my experience, the masculine version seems to be more popular en Espa�a (where I served a mission).

(Any espa�oles care to contradict me? �Quiz�s Ud. es espa�ol? Criticism is always welcome!)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

Forum Links
Forum Rules