Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > What are "non sense threads"

What are "non sense threads"
Pendergast
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2005, 06:26 PM

I need a clarification as to how you define "Don't post nonsense threads, +1 posts, or anything else with no semantic value."

Earlier, in another thread, I clearly and politely asked for an explanation of the expression "any real content".

I would greatly appreciate.

I respect and understand how difficult the role of admin, mods are. I also understand that some of us are a tough mob to control.

However, as stated in other threads, the point of having fun seems to have a sense to me. The meaning goes beyond the wording sometimes, and requires an intellectual exercise that can be quite pleasing, like the Bee thread attempted, as absurd and stupid it might seem.

If you could at least define what is meant by:

"Don't post nonsense threads, +1 posts, or anything else with no semantic value." we might save everyone, you and myself included, a lot of grief.

Thank you.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 2, 2005, 07:06 PM

There are people that posts threads that they think would be fun. Sometimes they are inane or silly. These threads usually go the distance till the get out of hand, then they are locked.

On the other hand.... there are people that post nonsense for the sake of posting nonsense. Or make inane insincere posts because they think it's cool to act and belittle the person they are talking to that way.

There are alot of people posting nonsense right now because they think it's "cool" to rebel against the mods wishes as well.

I think that's the difference.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 2, 2005, 07:27 PM

What he said.

tooki

P.S. Why did this need its own thread?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2005, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
There are people that posts threads that they think would be fun. Sometimes they are inane or silly. These threads usually go the distance till the get out of hand, then they are locked.

On the other hand.... there are people that post nonsense for the sake of posting nonsense. Or make inane insincere posts because they think it's cool to act and belittle the person they are talking to that way.

There are alot of people posting nonsense right now because they think it's "cool" to rebel against the mods wishes as well.

Kevin, I'm going to assume that you think some of my threads have been nonsense, no? Well, I've *never* posted intending to mock or piss off a mod. That has never been my intention, nor will it ever will be. I couldn't care less about my post count, and I don't create threads to belittle people either.

Could you provide examples here? I don't mean to sound combative, but honestly it sounds like you are describing a situation which simply doesn't exist, or at least isn't terribly common.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 7, 2005, 12:32 AM

I don't recall saying you have besson. I do know you've posted threads in the lounge that belonged in the PL. And you knew they did, but posted them anyhow.

I know it seems a bit anal or petty, but things get out of hand when there is no consistency.

I mean that is of my opinion. You are really asking the wrong fellah.

I have no say.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2005, 12:41 AM

I don't recall saying you have besson. I do know you've posted threads in the lounge that belonged in the PL. And you knew they did, but posted them anyhow.

I know it seems a bit anal or petty, but things get out of hand when there is no consistency.

I mean that is of my opinion. You are really asking the wrong fellah.

I have no say.

I made it clear at the beginnings of these messages why I thought they belonged in the Lounge. If the poster can make a case, why bicker about it? What's the big deal anyway? The occasional post that is put in the wrong lounge is not going to kill anybody. Somebody along the way is going to have to make a decision where the thread belongs, it might as well be the poster. Bickering about where the thread belongs just seems extremely petty to me, and is far more annoying than the misplaced post.

As far as consistency, I think that if we want consistency we have a few other issues that need to be cleared up before we can even approach this.

Chief among these:

1) What is nonsense, "no real content", "semantic value", whatever? What, exactly, is the problem with the nonsense threads? To me, it seems like more trouble to censor/lock/condemn posts like this *in the Lounge* than it does to simply let it go.

2) What is bickering? Is bickering *really* going to be not tolerated? If so, that should REALLY change the way conversations are conducted in the Political Lounge. Are the mods prepared for this huge burden? Has anybody tallied how many posts in this area are bickering? Phew... that's going to be a LOT of work.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Dec 7, 2005, 02:06 AM

What Tooki said.

Kevin ought to know.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Dec 7, 2005, 02:06 AM

What Tooki said.

Kevin ought to know.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Dec 7, 2005, 02:07 AM

What Tooki said.

Kevin ought to know.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 7, 2005, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
I made it clear at the beginnings of these messages why I thought they belonged in the Lounge.
There is were you made your mistake. It doesn't matter why YOU thought it should be in the lounge. It really doesn't.
Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
What Tooki said.

Kevin ought to know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules