Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 and Intel Sleep Lights

iMac G5 and Intel Sleep Lights
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2007, 08:30 PM

Is anyone else annoyed by the iMac G5 and Intel Sleep Light? It's sooo huge!

Luckily, it's rarely on, but still, why can't they have the Apple logo light up instead of a white dot?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2007, 03:55 PM

The Apple logo is even bigger.

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 04:20 PM

yeah, but it's already there. It's better than another light coming out of nowhere.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2007, 03:58 PM

You could take the RAM door off, undo the four torx screws along the bottom, pull the front bezel forward at the bottom (carefully) and cover the light pipe. Partially or entirely.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2007, 01:41 AM

I like it.

It's actually one of the design features I found truly creative.

With its pulsation it's like the beating of a heart. Makes the iMac almost be alive (as long as he's asleep).

PS: He? He's asleep? What sex is your iMac of?

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2007, 01:44 AM

Mines a he. I like the pulsing, too... but it's so damn big. You can light a room with it. Granted, the Apple would be even bigger, but at least it would be... like.. a shape. It could still pulse. Just move the light behind the logo, like on the MacBooks.

Sage
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2007, 01:52 AM

The reason they put the light in that particular spot is because it’s directly in line with the power button – it sort of directs you towards the power button instead of blindly fumbling for it.

And the sleep light on the MacBook is not the lighted Apple logo – the pulsating sleep light is located to the left of the IR receiver. The Apple logo shuts off when the MacBook is asleep.

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2007, 11:23 AM

I have a MacBook. I know that. I said (in a poor way) that they could put the sleep light behind the apple, like the backlight in the macbooks.

And I know about the power button thing too. But who doesn't know where the power button is? If you reach your hand around the back, you feel the bump.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2007, 04:52 AM

Hi! adamfishercox, I see you own a MacBook & maybe have always used "laptops" has opposed to the "desktop" iMac & have gotten used to a smaller sleeplight? I must point out though that has you've noted the power button is on the rear-left side, the sleeplight is on the right-front & the Apple logo is were the IR sensor is located! On the iMac.

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 12:04 PM

I own a MacBook, eMac and iMac, and the only annoying sleep light is the iMac with all its hugeness.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2007, 01:36 AM

Your iMac seems to be an excited sleeper.

Mine (G5 2.1 ghz iSight) isn't very bright even at night. You could easily have this iMac sleep in a room, where a human sleeps, and not wake him up (the human) by being too bright.

But I have heard bright humans waking up their iMacs pretty often.

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2007, 01:09 PM

haha. I could sleep by it, but it does do a good job of lighting the room up. Plus, it's not even in front of the power button on the Intel iMacs.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 03:48 AM

I checked my iMac after I read your bright sleeper iMac story.

It is very muted. You would be hard pressed to read a phone number from farther away.

Maybe your iMac is an insomniac. He just pretends to sleep, but the bright sleeper eye gives it away.

Have you tried Nembutal?

I just wouldn't know how to feed an iMac sleeping pills.

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 09:03 AM

In the optical drive, maybe?

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 12:47 AM

I recommend the movie "The Translator".

This sleeping pill can be taken without water.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2007, 04:38 AM

Two things changed over time:

1. The power button was moved over to the (as seen from the front) LEFT side rear on the first iMacs with built-in iSights in October 2005.

2. The second generation of iMac G5 machines (no iSight, introduced May 2005) now came with an AMBIENT LIGHT SENSOR that will automatically dim down the pulsing sleep light in a dark room - such as a bedroom at night. So you aren't the only one who was bothered by this, and Apple solved the problem two years ago.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2007, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Two things changed over time:
2. The second generation of iMac G5 machines (no iSight, introduced May 2005) now came with an AMBIENT LIGHT SENSOR that will automatically dim down the pulsing sleep light in a dark room - such as a bedroom at night. So you aren't the only one who was bothered by this, and Apple solved the problem two years ago.
That sensor must be real crap. I have an Intel 20" and the 'Pulsating Dot of Illumination' lights up my whole room. I hear though that it's gone from the new iMacs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules