Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Can I replace g3- 9 gig main drive with IDE

Can I replace g3- 9 gig main drive with IDE
jenniferleighr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2008, 09:41 PM

Mac Forum Question

I have a blue and white G3. It has a hard drive that is 9 gig ( I think it is SCSI) It is Quantum Vicking PHXWS 656-0638.
I want to get rid of the main 9 gig hard drive.
I have the operating system disk of 10.3. I would like to install IDE hard drive. I have 20 to 60 gig drives.
My question is can I install IDE as the main drive and get total rid of the 9 gig? How do I do it.
Other spec on the machine are listed -CMD 646u2-402 (ka62)
- Apple Computer Inc 1999 -820-1049-a is on the motherboard
- Power Mac G3 Series
- CPU Type – Power PC 750 (82.2)
- Number of cpu is one
- 12 Cashe per cpu
- Memory is ram 768 MB
- Bus Speed 100 MHZ
- Boot Rom verision 1.1.1f4

Thanks
Jennifer Ross jlross {at] execulink dot com
( Last edited by reader50; Aug 2, 2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: obscured email to prevent spambot harvesting)

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2008, 10:55 PM

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2008, 10:31 AM

I think you don't need any special stuff, the Blue&White Yosemite G3 just happen to come with built-in SCSI but was IDE ready, albeit the IDE chip was kind of flaky and was prone to fail on first revisions versions.

Worst (not that worst as you will read later) case scenario, you would need to buy a PCI card like this one which is rather good for your system giving it a hard disk speed boost, you would attach the IDE hard disks to it, and giving you the ability to use up to four larger than 128 GBs hard disk each.

In a nutshell, no need to replace the SCSI since IDE hard disks use a different connector inside your Power Mac, needless to say you can indeed take the SCSI out if you feel like it is a waste so to speak.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2008, 09:34 PM

If that is a Rev A motherboard, you do NOT want to run anything larger than 6 gb on the built-in IDE bus. You WILL have a corrupt drive. A PCI card is really the only good answer.

This article contains a description.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules