Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AppleCare Policy with backordered parts

AppleCare Policy with backordered parts
adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2005, 04:45 AM

I've got a TiBook in the shop to have the screen replaced - but the screen is on backorder and has been for 3 weeks now.

Now here's the problem. I'm in Canada, where all the service work is done by third party resellers. My computer is still usable, but it is currenlty disasembled in the shop. I would like it re-asembled, and I would like it back to continue to work on it while I wait for the part.

Now the store says Apple wont pay them to put it back together and take it apart again. They want me to pay them at $90/hr - but I'm not going to do that.

So I'm wondering if anybody has had parts on backorder before and Apple has sent them their machine back until the parts are available. Going to give them a call on Monday and want to have some idea if this is feasible. This work is all being done under AppleCare.

Thanks

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2005, 02:32 PM

There is no specific policy on this. On the TiBook, replacing the display is a nightmare. It takes a long time. If the machine weren't in pieces, they probably would have been fine with you taking it. Technically, Apple really doesn't even pay enough to replace the display under warranty once. I don't blame them for not wanting to do this for free. I wouldn't even want to do it under warranty (it would have been shipped off unless I had nothing else to do).
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

adamberti  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2005, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
I wouldn't even want to do it under warranty (it would have been shipped off unless I had nothing else to do).
Thanks for the reply Detrius - I realize the screen replacement isnt like adding RAM - I just really want my PowerBook back. Apparently the store is waiting for 4 screens right now, so they've got a nice collection going and they must be good at it.

Any thoughts then on how long it would take to get more screens? Like I said, it's been 4 weeks now, but would they have run out and Apple literally has to have them manuafactured again? Because I'll save them the trouble and take a new AlBook instead if it's easier....

Forum Links
Forum Rules