Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Games on upgraded iMacs?

Games on upgraded iMacs?
Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2001, 12:22 PM

I suppose that someone here has an upgraded rev. A/B iMac. So I'm wondering what kind of performance one can expect from a processor-upgrade on new games like Deus Ex. I already have a Gamewizard card, but the framerates just aren't enough. So I'm thinking of getting the 500 Mhz upgrade from Sonnet while I wait for the G5, and I want to know what kind of boost I will get.

austeros
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2001, 12:57 PM

running ut i usually get 27 on average in 800x600 with out turning of any more features on my rev b with voodoo2 and 400mhz g3. i would imagine yours would be a little better, and since deus ex runs the same engine, it should be good.

There's someone in my head but its not me...

xyber233
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2001, 04:42 PM

I have 1 466mhz g3, voodoo2, and 256mb of ram. At 800x600, I run UT at about 45fps.

candyman
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2001, 08:18 AM

How can I calculate the fps on my configuration?
TIA,

candyman

xyber233
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2001, 11:41 AM

For UT? Go to Timedemo under options.

<Jacke [Remote]>
Oct 29, 2001, 09:23 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys (hey, it rhymes!), but I'm not so sure about it anymore. I'm not sure if anyone else has seen the report on xlr8yourmac.com, but it seems as if the Sonnet upgrades are a bit RAM-cranky. Not that they get too little, but that they have an upper limit!
Excerpts:
"A dealer recently told me the Sonnet Cresendo is noted as supporting up to 192MB of RAM", "According to Sonnet tech support, I'm running too much RAM".
Apparently, unstabilities and crashes occur when the 192 MB limit is crossed! This would really be a deal-breaker for me as I currently have 160 MB and thinking of getting a 128 or 256 MB stick if I'm to upgrade my processor. Considering that the Powerbook G3 and the iMac rev. A-D processors are quite similar, plus the fact that the limit for the rev. B also was 192, it doesn't look too good.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2001, 10:57 AM

Apple just didnt bother to update their website about RAM limit. At the time, there was a limit on Rev. B iMac ram. But now, you can install 512mb.

Jacke  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2001, 12:37 PM

Well, tell that to Sonnet, who seem to be following the 192 MB limit according to the report at xlr8yourmac.com.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2001, 04:20 PM

well according to the box on my Rev A iMac....its RAM limit is 128MB

good ol' 1998...
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

knifecarrier
Banned
Oct 30, 2001, 01:56 AM

eh... crescendo? Who cares. the iMac upgrade from sonnet is called the HARMONI if I'm not mistaken.

- Ca$h

<Jacke [Remote]>
Oct 30, 2001, 08:45 AM

Yeah, the Crescendo was a Wallstreet upgrade, but since I remebered that the PB G3 processors and the rev. A-D processors were quite similar I thought that the HARMONi upgrade from Sonnet also would have this limitation. But checking out Apples support page, I see that the iMac rev. D supports up to 256 MB of RAM, and since Sonnet say it's compatible with rev. A-D then maybe it will work to have more than 256 MB.

austeros
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 09:26 AM

my iforce supports atleast 256... i dont see why the harmoni would be any different. i think they didnt make big low profile chips back then, but now they make smaller ram chips that are indeed more compatible.

There's someone in my head but its not me...

xyber233
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 11:11 AM

BTW, how is game performance on the Force? Do you have the 400 or 500?

Forum Links
Forum Rules