Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Problem installing Windows XP on MacBook

Problem installing Windows XP on MacBook
The Mad Frog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2009, 01:45 PM

I am here to request your expert advice on a matter of immensely high degree of annoyance.

The problem is such that I am currently trying to install windows XP on my lovely macbook and I almost ripped my hair out when I got the following message: Disk Error. Press any key to restart.

I pressed any key, I tell you, ANY KEY! I pressed all the ****ing keys on my keyboard and nothing happened. So I held the power button and it shut down. When I started the computer the same **** came again! MOTHER****ING ****. Help me! How can I escape from this paradox?! Aaaaargh.

By the way I'm using my friend's laptop to post this and he needs it soon so BE QUICK! Time is running out.

Tick tock tick tock...

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2009, 01:51 PM

I can not help you and thanks to your unclear thread title I had to view the post before I knew if I could help or not.

In the future, make your thread titles to be summaries of your problem.

OreoCookie
Jan 31, 2009, 02:05 PM

Avoid flashy titles in the future, please. And it would help if you could describe your problem more accurately.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Mad Frog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2009, 02:50 PM

Aha! I did get your attention! Nice.

Well I'm using Boot Camp to install Windows XP through a CD and in the installation process, after copying the files, it rebooted. After reboot, I was left with a black screen and nothing but the words: Disk Error. Press any key to restart.

I press a variety of keys and nothing happens, resulting in a lot of anguish and grieving.

I think it has a lot to do with the partitioning and tweaking of my hard drive. Some **** like that.

Cold Warrior
Jan 31, 2009, 03:06 PM

Boot from your OS X install/restore disc and run Disk Utility to repair your hard drive.

Then boot into OS X (the one installed on your Mac, not the DVD). Re-run Boot Camp setup assistant to remove the Windows partition, then run again to create it.

Insert your Windows XP SP2 disc, reboot your Mac, and follow the Windows XP installation wizard to complete the installation.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2009, 05:11 PM

This happens all the time, regardless of SP2 or whatever.

Yes, you need to go back into the Boot Camp Assistant and delete the Windows partition, and then go into it AGAIN and recreate the partition.

The trick is to FORMAT the partition using the Windows installer's formatting option (it's the next screen right after you choose the partition to install onto).

Quick format is fine - no need to do the full format.

After that, it will reboot normally without the stupid media error.

I've seen this dozens of times, and that fixed it every single time.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 31, 2009, 11:02 PM

One thing I'm not thrilled with in Boot Camp is that it marks the new partition as formatted, but it doesn't actually DO the formatting. The XP installer doesn't look past how the partition is marked, so it offers "leave the current format" as an option, and if you choose it, you're screwed. You should ALWAYS select the XP installer option to format the partition.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules