Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" Keyboard finish wearing off??

12" Keyboard finish wearing off??
cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2004, 07:31 PM

Hi, I seem to be having an issue with my spacebar. No, it's not dirt, as I clean my keyboard everyday. It seems that if you look at it in the sunlight, that parts of the spacebar have started to become a brighter color than the rest of it. Could I have caused this by cleaning the keys so much? I don't really care to have fingerprints on my machine so I try to keep it looking nice. As I can see, this isn't the only key that this is happening to. Also, on the right side of the machine, when you type, all is well. When you type on the left side of the keyboard you can actually see the board itself springing up and down a bit. Anyone think apple will replace the keyboard in my less than a month old Rev. C ?

cs

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2004, 07:36 PM

The keys are painted translucent plastic. If you clean them with something like alcohol, the paint will probably rub off.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 06:23 PM

What should we use then to clean our powerbooks?

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

LORL
Sep 18, 2004, 06:26 PM

I seriously don't think Apple's warranty covers excessive cleaning.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 06:59 PM

Got to my Apple Store (after calling) and a Genius came out with about four keyboards to replace a worn C key for my then-one-week-old PowerBook. It inserts top, then click, down.

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by iomatic:
Got to my Apple Store (after calling) and a Genius came out with about four keyboards to replace a worn C key for my then-one-week-old PowerBook. It inserts top, then click, down.
Did the C key really wear off in just one week? any other keys showing wear?

MikeD
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 10:19 AM

What would you say is safe to clean your keyboard with? I was going to use alcohol but now I'm afraid I'll wear out the keys. There has to be some safe solution to use....

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 10:32 AM

Use water to moisten a cloth. This is the safest method and it works well.

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
When you type on the left side of the keyboard you can actually see the board itself springing up and down a bit. Anyone think apple will replace the keyboard in my less than a month old Rev. C ?
cs
Apple replaced my entire PB after trying to fix the keyboard springing action four times without any luck. If for nothing else, take it into an AppleStore for that problem.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by MikeD:
What would you say is safe to clean your keyboard with? I was going to use alcohol but now I'm afraid I'll wear out the keys. There has to be some safe solution to use....

Mike
One of the manuals that comes with your powerbook has tips for cleaning. Apple suggests just using water and a lint free cloth.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 08:52 PM

It was just a spot, as if a bit of the paint or varnish was missing. No other keys have started to exhibit problems.

I think it may be in our best interest to get over these cosmetic issues overall, and get some work done. I know, we can be obsessive, but I literally tried to scratch it on an airplane tray to get over that feeling of having to baby this great tool. No luck, as it seems to be pretty scratch-resistant (on the bottom case.)

Originally posted by amazing:
Did the C key really wear off in just one week? any other keys showing wear?

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by iomatic:
It was just a spot, as if a bit of the paint or varnish was missing. No other keys have started to exhibit problems.

I think it may be in our best interest to get over these cosmetic issues overall, and get some work done. I know, we can be obsessive, but I literally tried to scratch it on an airplane tray to get over that feeling of having to baby this great tool. No luck, as it seems to be pretty scratch-resistant (on the bottom case.)
If u wanna damage your powerbook .. try smearing some mercury paste

*****CAUTION -- DO NOT SMEAR MERCURY PASTE ON YOUR POWERBOOK __**********

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules