Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Best format to re-compress HQ wmv3 to?

Best format to re-compress HQ wmv3 to?
Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2005, 10:46 AM

I have a pretty high-quality avi file with wmv3 video that I'd like to convert to something I can actually use. (I haven't checked the dimensions yet, but we're talking ca. 90 MB for about 5 minutes.) I'm thinking I'd either encode it to MPEG-4/XviD or to MPEG-2, with the target being to keep as much quality as possible while still not going crazy with the filesize (that means not going to uncompressed or lossless).

I don't have direct access to a PC (I've VPC and a friend with a PC), so what bothers me most is the time issue. Would re-compressing such a high-quality file in VPC take so long that it would be just as good to pay a visit to my buddy and do it there? For the record, I did try once to re-compress wmv3 to XviD in VPC before, but that was a bit lower quality file (700x386, 4 min) and it still took about an hour to compress...

So what I'm asking is, would compressing to MPEG-2 go faster than compressing to MPEG-4/XviD, and how would they compare quality-wise to the original wmv3?

Edit: Turned out to be a misnamed .asf file, so I can view it as is in WMP and use the Flip4Mac plugin to convert.
( Last edited by Jacke; Sep 19, 2005 at 03:06 PM. )

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 01:59 AM

are there any video cards with hardware accelerated MPEG2 encoding? I mean I know there are, but do any consumer cards have it? in my experience MPEG2 encoding is always a lot slower than MPEG4, for whatever reason.

Forum Links
Forum Rules