Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Getting Ready for the 15"PB!

Getting Ready for the 15"PB!
PatsPalace24
Jun 15, 2004, 10:42 PM

Hey Guys, Im new to postin in the forums, but have been eyeing them for about a year, and saving for a year. Finally got the money all by myself, and am going to order my 15" PB this weekend! Sry, but I am treating it like a child, protection and everything must be perfect. There are lots of things that I would have loved to know about my Ipod before I got it, like use an actual PDA protector for screen, don't use the original case it comes with cuz it scratches it, ect.
So my question now revolves around the upcoming Powerbook. What are the things that one should "prepare" for? Like must cases/sleeves, maybe screen/key protector if its necessary (Im askin you guys), software, peripherals, and things to do w/ battery (I think its in the manual) and you all are saying some other stuff on the computer itself like once a month, what is this? All this and more, just stuff to be ready for? Learn from your experiences! Thanks alot!

todrain
Senior User
Jun 16, 2004, 12:04 AM

Get a case - what kind depends on what you do with your laptop. I usually just bring mine to work with only the powercord, so I got a slip case.

Other than that, really the rest is up to you. What do you want to do with it? Since this is my primary computer, I also have a monitor and external keyboard and mouse for it as well. I also bought an external hard drive for backup and extra storage.

aaron6166
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2004, 03:54 AM

I got a marware keyboard cover for mine. The center of the powerbook could get squuished in my backpack and the screen may make contact w/the keyboard (I don't think it ever has, yet), but it has been good so far as a palm cushion and screen-wiping cloth.

Otherwise, if you wanna take it anywhere, get a laptop bag/sleeve of some sort.

PatsPalace24  (op)
Jun 16, 2004, 10:16 AM

Ok, so I will look into a case, preferrable a backpack? Any with Ipod integration? Next, I'll definately be getting the Apple Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard (CAN ANY1 POST HOW THEY LIKE THEM?), and sooner or later, I'll get a better display, right now with 19" CRT. Can I connect the powerbook to this moniter? Also, I will definately get a keyboard protector for traveling, and just leaving its lid closed. I can imagine myself, as I go to the Apple Store in my mall about once every week, to just pick up something everytime I am there to add to the collection: Isight, Icurve, ect. This brings me to my next point.. SOunds like you all love Icurve! It looks very cool, but how will it line up with using a Cinema Display? Will it look even, but obviously cant be the same size. Also, do most of you use the Powerbook screen as a second moniter, or just leave the lid closed for dirt and such? Thanks alot, and all help will be appreciated!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2004, 12:08 PM

I use the iCurve with my 12" and am very happy with it. Some people say that the 17" tends to slip off of it but I've let my cuz' 17" sit on it for a nite and it didn't slip at all. If you put it to the right or left you could actually make it level with the display in the system preferences, but the height difference is noticable. I use the PB screen if I need dual monitors, if I don't I close the 'book, and wake it up with a mouse so I could get all 32MB of VRAM (probably 64MB or 128MB in your machine in which case you dont really have to shut down your book unless you wanna save you LCD some life in the long run) to drive the external screen, but I do leave a small gap for the 'book as to not overheat anything, even though Apple claims that closed lid operation is ok.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

cambro
Senior User
Jun 16, 2004, 12:32 PM

If you want a good laptop backpack, look here. They are not cheap, but neither is your laptop!

I've had the same Spire backpack for my Powerbook since 1999. It is still in great shape and comes with an excellent removable sleeve complete with handle.

PatsPalace24  (op)
Jun 17, 2004, 01:00 PM

That all sounds great. Definately get an Icurve, as this will be my main computer. Do you all recomend using the Powerbook screen as a 2nd Screen to my 21" CRT. First of all, the CRT is big and ugly, so I don't really want to use it, but I am also planning on getting a 17" Studio Display, so would you recomend doing this? Other than the Icurve, any other things that I would need? Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules