Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > NO, even no text feed coverage from the Keynote???

NO, even no text feed coverage from the Keynote??? (Page 2)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2005, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Let the disappointments begin...
...delayed...

-t

willed
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
cell phones, btw, don't work very well in the hall because it's underground.
and because it's lead-lined, I tell you!

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 07:34 PM

I have a suggestion. Why not just AVOID the internet and news sites and everything until the delayed video feed is available on 6pm PST/2am GMT Tuesday/Wednesday and watch that as if it's live!

ender2002
Senior User
Jan 10, 2005, 08:47 PM

that is the best/lamest idea i have ever heard.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 08:56 PM

Why can't any of the keynote attendees post here the announcements? Did they sign NDA's at the theater doors?

/me is clueless on what's happenning

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 09:02 PM

Someone mentioned a SMS text message update a few years bacck where you just had to sign-up online and it would keep you updated every 15 minutes of so... does that really exist? 'cause Im going to be at work 'till 6...

maybe I'll just get home and watch it before I look at the sites and pretend its live, like macintoligist said. it will probably be just as slow and choppy as if it were live since it will be released right when i get home... and everyone* and their brother will be watching it a.s.a.p.

*by everyone I mean the 3% of computer users who use mac. actually its more like 10% of that 3% that will be nerdy enough to watch it right away, like me.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
Why can't any of the keynote attendees post here the announcements? Did they sign NDA's at the theater doors?
Nope, I don't know why Apple has a right to say that but since it is a private event I guess they can force what they like.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 09:23 PM

I heard they delayed the keynote so that whining on MacNN could be spread more evenly throughout the day, thus avoiding a server crash when 5000 people simultaneously try to complain that the new iMac doesn't come in magenta.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 09:29 PM

or include a 2 year old video card with 32MB of RAM.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 09:30 PM

the "post new thread" button gets worn out.

"OMG! steve jobs winked at me!"

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Apple the new Nazi Germany.
Most retarded post of the year.

Here's a cookie.

mikerally
Senior User
Jan 10, 2005, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Apple the new Nazi Germany.
This is a great opportunity to invoke Godwin's Law

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2005, 10:11 PM

As long as they don't start sending Linux users to concentration camps, I guess it's not that big a deal...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by mikerally:
/sig
Don't own Panther, Mike?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2005, 04:16 AM

I can think of one solution which wouldn't be cheap, but ought to work. It requires a two-person team: one actually at the Keynote, and the other elsewhere with a computer and a Net feed.

The person at the Keynote carries a concealed cell phone. Before entering the Keynote, this cell phone is already on and connected to the other person's cell. Once the person with the cell is seated, they could possibly take the phone out of whatever bag/pocket/whatever for a better view, but should probably still keep it hidden. The point of the phone is to provide an audio feed to the person with the computer, who can then do proper (or nearly-proper) live updates. The speakers in the audience hall are likely to be loud enough that this should work. The one potential problem I see is if Apple has actually gone far enough to use a radio-shielded hall, but I doubt this.

I'm sorry, Apple, but what you're doing with this policy of surprises harms only yourself. This is for your own good.

[DISCLAIMER: I have no knowledge of anyone using this technique, nor have I shared this idea with anyone before now. I sincerely doubt I'm the first person to come up with it, however, as it doesn't exactly require a lot of expertise.]
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 05:05 AM

Too bad September 24 is on a Saturday, but I certainly would expect Tiger to be shipped then...

Colin Davis
Jan 11, 2005, 05:24 AM

If anyone is going to be at the show and willing to try this, let us know. I know a lot of us, myself included, will offer to type up the audio, and to host it on our sites and IRC.

--Colin
--
This message brought to you by Colin Davis, his ISP, and the letter G

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 06:04 AM

Now, here is my crazy theory about no live coverage of the Keynote:

OK, the reason why no MWSF keynote live is that the keynote is not given my Steve Jobs at all, and no major announcment by whoever in place of Steve Jobs.

What? Yes, I heard what you just said. What if Steve Jobs won't be in MWSF at all?? Or in fact, what if he is not in San Francisco at all? What if he is not awake (i.e. still at sleep?)

The reason why I said is that there is a "Macworld event" in Sydney on tomorrow (Wednesday 3:30PM Sydney time). If (and it is a big "if") Steve Jobs will attend the press conference in person in Sydney, and that's the time when the big announcments been made? That would explain why the 9 hour delay in the keynote (so that Steve Jobs will annouce it in Sydney 9 hours later)?

Yes, I know there is still a 2-3 hour "gap" time between the 6PM webcast and 3:30PM Sydney time start for the "Macworld event", but based in the circumstanical evidence, it is possible...

Jan Van Boghout
Jan 11, 2005, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:

OK, the reason why no MWSF keynote live is that the keynote is not given my Steve Jobs at all, and no major announcment by whoever in place of Steve Jobs.<snip>
Steve Jobs to Deliver Keynote at Macworld 2005

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/tools/quo...=mktw&dist=nbk

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 06:15 AM

very interesting theory veryniceguy2002, but I doubt Steve would miss the Frisco Expo...

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by alex627:
Please name a company that Jobs has run into the ground.
NeXT. Sadly, it's true.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

mikerally
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
Don't own Panther, Mike?
Yeah I do but I'm too lazy to update my sig. Yeah I know that means it's couple of years old, LOL, but I guess I'm just that lazy.

Infact at some point, when I can be bothered, I'm gonna ditch using sigs alltogether.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
Steve Jobs to Deliver Keynote at Macworld 2005

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/tools/quo...=mktw&dist=nbk

Yeah, but Steve is not bound by that PR (or CBS MarketWatch for the matter) to attend, right?

I told you it is a crazy theory! Feel free to lauging out loud for the time being

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by Madrag:
very interesting theory veryniceguy2002, but I doubt Steve would miss the Frisco Expo...
Well, we missed for than a few before (back in the '90's, when he ran NeXT)

Also, he didn't want to bound to MacWorld Expo for product announcment (remember what he did when IDG announced the MWNY moved back to Boston a few years back?)

Until then, keep laughing
( Last edited by veryniceguy2002; Jan 11, 2005 at 07:13 AM. )

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 07:09 AM

I'm not laughing!
but if you're rigth could you PM me the lottery numbers?
It's a wild theory but who knows?

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by Madrag:
I'm not laughing!
but if you're rigth could you PM me the lottery numbers?
It's a wild theory but who knows?
OK, but then I would like sure that I buy 100 entries of the same number as that one I will PM you, so that when you win the lottery, I will receive 100 shares of the prize money, and then you will have the remaining share

I remember back in 2000 everyone in Australia tried to guess who will light the olympic touch in the Olympics the day before the opening ceremony, and I did posted my thoughts in my company's internal newsgroup to say Cathy Freeman would be the one... too bad I didn't place a bet for that.

Can someone tell me is that any UK or Australian online betting operators that will accept money from me to bet Steve Jobs will be in Sydney tomorrow in person?

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 07:25 AM

OK, the reason why no MWSF keynote live is that the keynote is not given my Steve Jobs at all, and no major announcment by whoever in place of Steve Jobs.

What? Yes, I heard what you just said. What if Steve Jobs won't be in MWSF at all?? Or in fact, what if he is not in San Francisco at all? What if he is not awake (i.e. still at sleep?)

The reason why I said is that there is a "Macworld event" in Sydney on tomorrow (Wednesday 3:30PM Sydney time). If (and it is a big "if") Steve Jobs will attend the press conference in person in Sydney, and that's the time when the big announcments been made? That would explain why the 9 hour delay in the keynote (so that Steve Jobs will annouce it in Sydney 9 hours later)?

Yes, I know there is still a 2-3 hour "gap" time between the 6PM webcast and 3:30PM Sydney time start for the "Macworld event", but based in the circumstanical evidence, it is possible...

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2005, 08:31 AM

I like the idea that the new Apple $500 box is actually going to be a video on demand system for the internet, that relies on Quicktime 7, which will be available for download immediately after the keynote, and required to watch the keynote stream. Great way to demonstrate and distribute the technology right off the bat.

Highly unlikely, but I like the idea anyway !

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 10:35 AM

One rumor said Apple wanted to launch QT NG (or whatever) today and use an exclusive SW Episode III trailer (in iTMS) to motivate QT and iTunes downloads.

Even if they failed to negotiate it with Lucas, I'm pretty sure the crowd who watches the keynote stream downloads the new QT anyway, so that seems a stupid reason for the keynote blackout.

As for the video on demand system, well they might actually have the technology to pull it off, but prying the actual films from the grip of the movie industry would require serious level upgrades to Steve's RDF. Maybe he'll suck the souls in the Moscone theatre (hence the blackout) and use that as an extra boost.

J

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2005, 10:44 AM

RDF Extreme has gone Golden Master in November 2004 so that would be a possibility.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 05:13 PM

So, my crazy theory is totally wrong!

I guess, life is random! ! !

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 09:49 PM

So, my crazy theory is totally wrong!

I guess, life is random! ! !
That's why I was laughing...

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 12, 2005, 12:58 PM

I lost all my money on the lottery numbers veryniceguy2002 PMed me...

kidding!!!

I saved it for the mac mini!
I'll buy about 100!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules