Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How long for Build to order? powerbook

How long for Build to order? powerbook
Dinan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2005, 12:26 AM

I'm going to be getting a Powerbook pretty soon and was wondering how long the build would take. I need to know so I can get the 100$ rebate they are offering until june 25. They require you to have the PB in posession at this time.

By the way, I'm thinking about these specs:

15"
1.67 Ghz
512 RAM
128 vram
Superdrive (maybe.. is it worth to upgrade now for the future)

and i'm ordering an extra 1 gig stick off a separate site to save $t

thanks

Link
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 12:48 AM

Apple generally says a week, but remember these machines tend to come from China, so the shipping time will take all 5 days, that's the biggest deal killer (there's no way to change the shipping method). Soooo I'd guess 6 or 7 business days (PBs are mid line right now, so it should be quick).

The 6-7 day thing is what killed the 17" for me, heh. I didn't want to buy a standard 17" because the 100gb drive is outrageous, but I didn't have the time to wait for a BTO to get here ... oh well, the 15" I got is awesome!
Aloha

.tony. .riot.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2005, 02:20 AM

My PB took about two days since I placed the order until they shipped it. And you can select a faster shipping method (2nd day air) for an extra $15. If you choose the free shipping it will take about 6 or 7 days like Link said.

jokarak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2005, 03:14 PM

After my order was placed on a friday, it was marked as shipped on the following tuesday. There was some delay in Taiwan, and I got my powerbook one week later - total time was 11 calendar days.

Link
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 03:25 PM

When BTOing I don't think you CAN get 2 day. When I tried BTOing the 17" they wouldn't let me choose anything but 5 day.
Aloha

osxisfun
May 26, 2005, 03:40 PM

sometimes the ETA will be over by a few days.

my BTO said it would arrive the following thrus (from done date- thurs) i had it on tues.

(UPS ground i never tried 2nd day )

Dinan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2005, 04:56 PM

alright thanks.

do you guys have any comments on the PB i'm looking at? specifically about the vram upgrade and superdrive?

one reason i'm thinking of these is for the future.. is it worth it to get them now?

osxisfun
May 26, 2005, 05:13 PM

Yes. vram can not be upgraded later.

I ordered the 128vram in case i by a 30" lcd down the road. In the mean time i get the benefit that as 10.4.x gets updated more and more of the quartz 2d extrememe stuff will be "cached" in the vram which means faster scrolling, screen redraws etc...

it a long term thing that will pay off as osx matures...

my 2 cents.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2005, 05:25 PM

Dude, that is exactly the config I want to order right now. Only I'm holding out for newer 7448 processors. I'm vacationing in Japan in August, I'd love to have a new PB by then. I don't know if a PB update is in the cards before Aug however.

I'd definitely go with a SuperDrive, you'll regret not getting it. Not sure if the 128 vram upgrade is worth it unless you plan on hooking up to an external display. I say just go for broke.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
May 26, 2005, 05:25 PM

i have the pbook you are ordering and it rules. Get more ram at some point (from a less expensive place than apple), your pbook will love you for it.
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
May 26, 2005, 05:34 PM

what rebate are you talking about? is there a link?
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

osxisfun
May 26, 2005, 05:55 PM

amazon.com $150?

Dinan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2005, 08:55 PM

http://education.apple.com/students/go/save/

this is the rebate i'm looking at.

do a lot of you guys use external mice?

.tony. .riot.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2005, 09:21 PM

Yeah, I hadn't heard anything about this rebate and I just got my PB about two weeks ago. I'm gonna go ahead and print that to get me an Airport Extreme Base.

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2005, 03:21 PM

23 Days if lost.

This included Holiday delay in TW {see my thread "stuck in TW...” then many phone calls both to Apple and UPS. Tracers took time but reorder was completed.

I would consider this worst-case scenario. I sure your order will come within 12 days.

Ordered the same configuration back in April 28 2:09 p.m. Arrived May 20 10:36 a.m.

I believe this was a rare situation of my Powerbook getting lost in delivery by UPS.

The replacement came by FedEx.

Thanks for rebate site.

Harry

Forum Links
Forum Rules