Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple Warranty Servicing Turn-Around: Audio Problems

Apple Warranty Servicing Turn-Around: Audio Problems
TimothyJay
Aug 22, 2005, 10:48 AM

Hey fellow PB users,

I have a minor problem with the headphone jack in my 15" PowerBook. Apparently, when my headphones is plugged all the way in, I can only hear audio on the left channel, and the right is muted. But when I jimmy the jack and it's about halfway in, it works on both channel. It's not a big deal I think, but it is an inconvenience trying to make sure I slightly pull the jack out so it's halfway in for me to hear on both channels.

I'm also asking if there's a fee at all to get my PB serviced at my local Apple store. I just got my PB around June 2005, so it's still within a year. I did win my PB at their promo for the release of Tiger, so I was wondering if a year's warranty is still included in that. My friend brought his iBook in for keyboard problems well under his warranty, and they asked him to pay for a new keyboard part.

And also, how long is the usual turn-around for their service? I use my PB at work, and though I work every other day, I don't think I can last without my PB for quite some time.

Thanks for any feedback!

jaybert
Aug 22, 2005, 03:36 PM

fyi, when you put it in the middle, you are just hearing 1 channel, split on both ears. when its in the middle the connection it made from 1 channel to both sides of your headphones.

try this out...set the balance to the left and see if you hear anything, then switch it over to the right and see if you hear anything on both ears. one way you will hear music on both ears, the other side you wont hear anything.

Dinan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2005, 04:35 PM

do you have the same problem without using the headphones? my PB came with the balance all the way to the left and i was wondering why the left was the only speaker making noise.. i checked the balance and put it to the middle and it works fine.

check out the balance, it might have come all the way to the left from the factory
Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz 15" // 2GB RAM // 128 vRAM // 80GB HD // Combo Drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules