Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Printing to non-PS printers using LPR

Printing to non-PS printers using LPR
Boris_Mann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2001, 09:18 AM

I have been experimenting with my 3COM Ethernet Home Gateway and Epson Stylus Color 740.

The gateway includes a print server that works under Windows (you have to install a driver) or with LPR. Of course, the instructions for LPR use pretty much just say "follow the standard instructions for LPR". I'm sure if it was a postscript printer, everything would work great.

In any case, I thought I would fiddle and see if I could get something working. After some searching, I found the Linux Printing web page, where I also found info about the Epson driver. Also on the same page is something that purports to generate PPDs. So, I downloaded the generated PPD, selected it as the PPD to use and pointed the LPR at my gateway's address.

I can "print" to the printer, but all it does is send the actual PostScript code to the printer, which results in pages and pages of raw PostScript printing out

Anyone have any bright ideas on how this might be made to work? Am I dreaming the impossible dream?

-- Boris

Boris_Mann  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2001, 11:14 AM

Is it wacky to be replying to your own post?

More fiddling and looking at various how-tos on how to do this under Linux.

This is how I think it *should* work, now I just have to figure out how to get it all working:

- setup local queue for the printer by editing /etc/printcap
- have the file processed by lpd or some such and install rlpr to send the processed info to the remote queue
- in print center, enter "localhost" and the queue name you created previously (in my case, I just called it "epson")

When you select that printer it will spool and process locally, then be sent to the remote queue for actual printing.

At least, that's the theory.

-- Boris

ilikedonuts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2001, 02:15 PM

I haven't had time to try this yet- but I'm hoping this will solve the problem:
http://www.macslash.com/article.pl?s...16&mode=nested

I've got a Brother 8300 at home- printing via USB works fine. But I'm trying to print over 802.11b to the printer which is connected to a SMB 7004WBR Wireless Router with Print Server.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Salad is what food eats"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chaaaosss
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2001, 04:00 AM

Originally posted by ilikedonuts:
<STRONG>I haven't had time to try this yet- but I'm hoping this will solve the problem:
http://www.macslash.com/article.pl?s...16&mode=nested

I've got a Brother 8300 at home- printing via USB works fine. But I'm trying to print over 802.11b to the printer which is connected to a SMB 7004WBR Wireless Router with Print Server.</STRONG>
Hey ilikedonuts -- if you ever get this one figured out, please POST HERE! My roommate bought the same router you have and he has his USB printer connected to it. I would KILL to be able to print to it one day (as I have a WaveLan in my old PowerBook) with some lewd phrases or something. Well regardless if you think that's a reason to post, please do! I checked your link and it doesn't seem to address your particular issue -- only the Linux box one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules