Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What The Heck Happend To Music?

What The Heck Happend To Music? (Page 2)
talisker
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Nah, Christian is a topic not a genre anyway.
Good point. I had a bit of a problem with categorising music as "Christian" as it doesn't really fit with other common categories such as rock, blues, pop, jazz etc, but I suppose it's fairer to compare it to categories such as love songs, celebration songs, songs about war, songs about loss, mindless party music, songs about shagging, songs about the joys of popping bubble wrap (can't think of one of those just now, but it's tempting to write one)

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by talisker:
Good point. I had a bit of a problem with categorising music as "Christian" as it doesn't really fit with other common categories such as rock, blues, pop, jazz etc, but I suppose it's fairer to compare it to categories such as love songs, celebration songs, songs about war, songs about loss, mindless party music, songs about shagging, songs about the joys of popping bubble wrap (can't think of one of those just now, but it's tempting to write one)
Yeah most Christian artists don't even have 100% of their work about God. I KNOW GASP! Seriously, you'll find a lot of artists that get sold in Christian book stores ect, are actually hovering under 50% real songs having to do with being a Christian or loving God ect.

Four CDs picked off my big stack

Ace Troubleshooter(self tittled)
Track 1, not about God... heck I don't even know what it's about.
2 bout a girl
3 bout a girl
4 song to non christians
5 my way, personal story (kinda Christian, not really priasing God or anything)
6 kinda Christian, kinda retrospective
7 Christian deffinately Christian
8 song to a friend about not falling for a girl
9 Song about coming past the junk in your life, kinda Christian
10 Song about a girl
11 instrumental

Fanmail, self tittled
actually scrap that one I barely listen to it.

Bleach Again For The First Time
1 Intro
2 about a baseline
3 think it's Christian
4 not really Christian
5 Christian
6 kinda Christian, could have multiple meanings
7 Think it's Christian again one that could be taken a few ways
8 Christian
9 song to a friend
10 kinda Christian more retrospective
11 song about the road
12 uhh kinda about keeping going even when life sucks
13 Last one is uhh... dont' remmeber haha

Ghoti Hook, Super Sumo
1 song to a girl about the way she's living
2 song about relationship
3 uhh... can never remember what this one's about
4 halarious song, might as well say it's Christian
5 Christian
6 story song, pretty Christian
7 joke song
8 Goofy song
9 Weird song
10 Song about money
11 song about wanting to be a sumo
12 song about knock knock jokes
13 can't remember think it's Christian
14 pretty Christian.

Of course most of my stuff I buy actually does have a point, but a LOT of Christian stuff just has a few Christian songs most just sing about their lives, and God's a part of that.

That said I have everything from rap core, to swing, to punk, to ska, to rock, to uhh whatever the heck DC talk is... hey the CD does have a few songs that are likeable... leave me alone!

Mark E
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2003, 06:30 PM

just out of interest, why do you only listen to christian music?

there is a ton of great music out there. just venture out of the christian music section..

in case of accidental ingestion, consult a mortician.

gethigh
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2003, 05:52 AM

There's that one that goes "father father... something something something something..." you know that one I'm talking about though right? Anyway, the point of the song is still so superficial though, did I agree with it... on some levels but on the deeper levels no.
I think you're talking about "Where is the Love" by Black Eyed Peas. The "father father" chorus is sung by J. Timberlake. The great thing about that song is its instrumentals, which I think is just brilliant.

Dunno about the superficialities though.

neon_duke
Aug 15, 2003, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by starman:
I have to agree here. I've hated music since the mid-90's.

You look at music from the 60's to the mid-80's and there's SO much good stuff there.
I'm so friggin sick and tired of this attitude. Understand - you're looking at music made 20 to 40 years ago, through the filter of the intervening time. OF COURSE the stuff that is still played seems much better: it's the stuff that has survived. 90% of the music made in that time is never heard these days, either. Fast forward 20 years and it will be precisely the same story with the albums produced in 2000-2003.

Having been born in the '60s and come of age in the early '80s, I will tell you that there was just as much commercial plastic crap made throughout that time as there is today. Do you want to discuss Jerry and the Pacemakers, the Starland Vocal Band, the BeeGees, Kiss, Jefferson Starship, ABBA, The Captain and Tenille, ForeignerKansasBostonREOJourneyboy, the J Geils Band, Madonna, Leif Garret, CruePoisonRattScorpionsWhitesnake, anything the Rolling Stones recorded after about 1974, Paul McCartney's solo career, or "Frampton Comes Alive"? And those are just a dozen or so that leap instantly to mind. The fact is there are thousands of crappy commercial pop groups from the '60s, '70s, and '80s that appeared, sold their singles and managed gold or platinum on their first album, and faded into well-deserved obscurity.

It's the never-ending cycle of popular music. If you think the problem wasn't just as bad or worse 30 years ago you are sadly deluding yourself.
www.gtplanet.net
www.neons.org

SomeToast
Senior User
Aug 15, 2003, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by neon_duke:
Do you want to discuss Jerry and the Pacemakers, the Starland Vocal Band, the BeeGees, Kiss, Jefferson Starship, ABBA, The Captain and Tenille, ForeignerKansasBostonREOJourneyboy, the J Geils Band, Madonna, Leif Garret, CruePoisonRattScorpionsWhitesnake, anything the Rolling Stones recorded after about 1974, Paul McCartney's solo career, or "Frampton Comes Alive"? And those are just a dozen or so that leap instantly to mind. The fact is there are thousands of crappy commercial pop groups from the '60s, '70s, and '80s that appeared, sold their singles and managed gold or platinum on their first album, and faded into well-deserved obscurity.
Starland Vocal Band will never die!

But then, I like ABBA and Kansas.

gwehr
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2003, 07:26 PM

Do you want to discuss Jerry and the Pacemakers, the Starland Vocal Band, the BeeGees, Kiss, Jefferson Starship, ABBA, The Captain and Tenille, ForeignerKansasBostonREOJourneyboy, the J Geils Band, Madonna, Leif Garret, CruePoisonRattScorpionsWhitesnake, anything the Rolling Stones recorded after about 1974, Paul McCartney's solo career, or "Frampton Comes Alive"? [/B]
Dude, the Stones recorded an excellent album after 1974, it's called Some Girls, and a good album, Tattoo You. And, for some reason, I like both ABBA and Madonna. But I am not ashamed, even if I should be. The others on your list can all take a hike, though. Except McCartney had a couple decent solo songs, if you're counting Wings' "Band on the Run," for example.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by Mark E:
just out of interest, why do you only listen to christian music?

there is a ton of great music out there. just venture out of the christian music section..
Like I say, no good money, to many good CDs I want. I haven't heard anything in the secular market that I want more than the next TFK or Bleach album. I have VERY little cash for anything right now, and I don't pirate.
So that means I can either take a risk on an artist I've never heard before, or I could buy an album by one of the many Christian artists I've been meaning to buy but havn't gotten the cash for. Right now I still have like 10 albums I wanna buy and have been wanting to buy for a while, that I REALLY WANT. I don't look at it as I"M BUYING CHRISTIAN MUSIC, I look at it as, I'm buying something I like!

neon_duke
Aug 15, 2003, 10:34 PM

Much as I encourage you to branch out a little and explore, I'm gratified to hear somebody say they don't pirate music. Most people under the age of 30 act as if it their natural right to download and steal music. Congratulations on being ethical about it.
www.gtplanet.net
www.neons.org

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 10:46 PM

Anybody heard this guy?

He's the last new musician/band, I've had interst in musically. I'm looking for something new.

I also like Radiohead, Bj�rk (pronouced Byerk, by the way) They Might Be Giants, Lenny Kravits.

Pretty mainstream compared to what you guys are posting, but I really like them. Just looking for more goodies.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2003, 10:49 PM

Much as I encourage you to branch out a little and explore, I'm gratified to hear somebody say they don't pirate music. Most people under the age of 30 act as if it their natural right to download and steal music. Congratulations on being ethical about it.
Like I say, I buy what I like. If there were a part of the secular market that I liked more than the stuff in the christian section I'd probably buy it. If you could find me a secular artist with lyrics that compare to switchfoot's, and music that is comprable too I'd probably buy it, but so far I havn't found anything.

gwehr
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2003, 11:42 PM

Like I say, I buy what I like. If there were a part of the secular market that I liked more than the stuff in the christian section I'd probably buy it. If you could find me a secular artist with lyrics that compare to switchfoot's, and music that is comprable too I'd probably buy it, but so far I havn't found anything.
Just curious, have you ever listened to the Beatles?

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2003, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by SomeToast:
Starland Vocal Band will never die!

President Garcia-Thompson: I heard that just today you and your friends dumped 100 pounds of meat on a peaceful demonstration.
Droz: Oh, come on! That was way more than 100 pounds

(and it's coming out on DVD soon! woohoo!!!)

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2003, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Anybody heard this guy?
Pretty mainstream compared to what you guys are posting, but I really like them. Just looking for more goodies.
Try Jack Johnson.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2003, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by gwehr:
Just curious, have you ever listened to the Beatles?
Yeah I got sick of songs that have courses with the same line repeated three times

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2003, 04:50 AM

It's the never-ending cycle of popular music. If you think the problem wasn't just as bad or worse 30 years ago you are sadly deluding yourself.
My point exactly.

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2003, 04:51 AM

Yeah I got sick of songs that have courses with the same line repeated three times
You better be *real* careful there.

I mean it.

-s*

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2003, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
You better be *real* careful there.

I mean it.

-s*
haha ok OK, honestly never heard much of the beatles stuff, most of it was just off a greatest hits album. Anyway, they're really not my style... although I do like the yellow submarine song

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2003, 06:56 AM

haha ok OK, honestly never heard much of the beatles stuff, most of it was just off a greatest hits album. Anyway, they're really not my style... although I do like the yellow submarine song
Fair enough.

Mark E
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2003, 07:10 AM

So that means I can either take a risk on an artist I've never heard before..
sorry dude, but that reasoning is bullshit, in this day and age.

you can hear free samples on amazon.com, on the itunes music store. you can listen to alternative music radio stations online - for free. you can get free music from mp3.com, epitonic.com, iuma.com, and tons of other places.

most bands, and indie record labels, themselves have official websites that offer, if not free mp3 downloads, at least high quality, full, streaming songs.

or you could.. you know.. go into a music store and see what's at the listening posts.

in case of accidental ingestion, consult a mortician.

gwehr
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2003, 01:33 PM

Lots of the best Beatles songs aren't the ones you would hear on a greatest hits album. And they experimented with so many different styles of music it's hard to say they're "not my style." Listen to the White Album and you might change your tune. There's *gasp* even a song about God on it! ("Long Long Long")

gwehr
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2003, 01:34 PM

The word is "chorus," not "course."

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2003, 02:57 PM

The word is "chorus," not "course."
If you have not noticed, in addition to "today's music," chicken has a problem with the English language. Too much christian music will do that to you.

Oh, and since when did that bastard from Live turn Benedict Arnold? He was a "hardcore atheist" up until they were last heard of in the '90s. And now, "Bird of Pray?" Holy shitzu!
I, ASIMO.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2003, 05:47 PM

Word.

Anybody who seriously believes that this isn't the way it's been for *at least* forty years is seriously deluding himself.

Sure, you can go and list all those *great* bands from the sixties. You can *maybe* come up with about fifteen or twenty or so where you remember or own the albums, and maybe another twenty one-hit wonders. That's representative of AN ENTIRE DECADE?

The ratio of crap to quality has been pretty much consistent IMO. Hindsight just naturally ignores the *thousands* of utter shite bands and songs that oozed over the airwaves then and sold masses.

The majority of music played, heard, and sold has always been marketing filler.

-s*
Actually I have to disagree with this. At one time you had Jimi Hendrix, the Who, the Stones, Led Zepplin, the Beatles, the Grateful Dead, and dozens of other bands selling out arenas and stadiums. And all of these bands have stood the test of time. But what acts of today, bands that have been around 10 years or less, are selling out those same venues? There's really only one I can think of: Radiohead. But I can't remember seeing them get a gig at major stadiums in the US.

But now the only thing being put out is highly produced marketing crap. Sure they sell out arenas, but they're not exactly packing stadiums. And you can say without a doubt that they won't be doing so for years to come.

If you give the people good music, they will show up in droves and keep coming back. If you feed them useless crap, you'll only get a limited return. The problem with the music business is that it's being run by people who are oblivious to what actually make this specific industry tic. They're only capable of looking at the bottom line right now. If they stopped being short sighted and actually realized what makes their business tick, they would do a lot better.

That's the big difference between now and then. Back in the late 60's/early 70's you had a multitude of labels who were all concerned with developing artists and building their business the proper way. But when these guys cashed out and turned their companies over to the industrialists and merger proponents, the business started to die. The reason is that the people at the top aren't in touch with the people at the bottom. There's this huge layer of overhead that's completely unnecessary and only gets in the way. And so you have people at the top with no artistic vision. And without that, how can you continue to nuture and build an artistic enterprise?

One of the keys to fixing this is to return to smaller labels who have their hands in the regional trenches. The loss of this ability has contributed greatly to the current decline.
( Last edited by Arty50; Aug 16, 2003 at 08:16 PM. )
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

gwehr
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2003, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by ASIMO:

Oh, and since when did that bastard from Live turn Benedict Arnold? He was a "hardcore atheist" up until they were last heard of in the '90s. And now, "Bird of Pray?" Holy shitzu!
That's pretty sad. Does Live still suck as much as I remember?

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2003, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by Arty50:
If you give the people good music, they will show up in droves and keep coming back. If you feed them useless crap, you'll only get a limited return. The problem with the music business is that it's being run by people who are oblivious to what actually make this specific industry tic. They're only capable of looking at the bottom line right now. If they stopped being short sighted and actually realized what makes their business tick, they would do a lot better.

That's the big difference between now and then. Back in the late 60's/early 70's you had a multitude of labels who were all concerned with developing artists and building their business the proper way. But when these guys cashed out and turned their companies over to the industrialists and merger proponents, the business started to die. The reason is that the people at the top aren't in touch with the people at the bottom. There's this huge layer of overhead that's completely unnecessary and only gets in the way. And so you have people at the top with no artistic vision. And without that, how can you continue to nuture and build an artistic enterprise?

One of the keys to fixing this is to return to smaller labels who have their hands in the regional trenches. The loss of this ability has contributed greatly to the current decline.
I think there a lot of truth to this - the need for acts to sell millions of records in order to break even has probably impeded the kind of development of acts (and the risks) that took place 30-40 years ago.

At the same time, access to a variety of music is greater than ever IMO. When I was younger, there might have been more (and more interesting) big acts in rock, but finding stuff beyond that could be real work. Once you got bored with the new Stones album, things could seem pretty dreary. A lot of the blues, jazz, country and R&B stuff that inspired rock was out-of-print. Even a lot of the rock and soul stuff would go out-of-print quickly. Except perhaps for some special-order Folkways albums, there was no such thing as "world music." There was no internet or cable. Nowadays, almost everything ever released is available again on CD. Anyone with an imagination should be able to find interesting stuff. And even though the major labels are putting out a lot of crap, there seem to be more alternatives than ever. If bands like Yo La Tengo and The Go-Betweens are still able to release albums, how bad can things be? Personally, I think a lot more varied music is available now than in the 70's.

I also think that, as Spheric originally said, people make the mistake of thinking that the airwaves are full of crap now but weren't full of crap in the 60's and 70's. Nothing could be further from the truth. Anyone who looks at a Top 100 chart from those eras should be able to see this. "Strawberry Fields Forever" was kept out of the No. 1 spot by Englebert Humperdinck's "Release Me" (which was just a cover of an old country hit). In 1969, Glen Campbell (a great musician in his early days) sold more records than The Beatles. Neither Dylan nor The Stones ever sold that many records compared to their pop cpunterparts.

In sum, I agree with you that the major labels have in many ways become sinkholes, but at the same time I think there's a lot of great stuff out there for people with open ears and open minds.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2003, 01:04 AM

i dont know. i like that justin timberlake album. it sounds just like one of my favorite albums ever, michael jacksons "off the wall".

im not ashamed.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2003, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by Mark E:
sorry dude, but that reasoning is bullshit, in this day and age.

you can hear free samples on amazon.com, on the itunes music store. you can listen to alternative music radio stations online - for free. you can get free music from mp3.com, epitonic.com, iuma.com, and tons of other places.

most bands, and indie record labels, themselves have official websites that offer, if not free mp3 downloads, at least high quality, full, streaming songs.

or you could.. you know.. go into a music store and see what's at the listening posts.
For me to find something I like, I would have to be pointed in the right direction. Considering when I was looking to book a local secular act that also had clean lyrics, I couldn't find anyone that knew of one, I really don't feel like bothering. Esspecially when like I said, there are tons of artists that I know of, who's stuff I havn't been able to buy yet, I really don't feel like finding more bands that I can't buy

To give you an idea, check out
http://www.toothandnail.com/artists/index.html
Now almost half of those bands have put out CDs that I still want. And that's just ONE label who has a lota artists I like

Arty50
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2003, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:
In sum, I agree with you that the major labels have in many ways become sinkholes, but at the same time I think there's a lot of great stuff out there for people with open ears and open minds.
Oh, I definitely agree. I was very lucky to land a job at a mom and pop record store when I was in college. I now own way too many cds (actually not enough), mostly from artists that I would never have heard of otherwise. There is a ton of stuff out there, you just have to be willing to look for it. Short of working in a good store, listening to your local college radio station can be a really good start.

There's a lot of stuff I left out. I can go on for a while. Basically, I feel that the industry is very broken right now. It's really interesting to watch how it's reshaping itself though. P2P and services like the iTunes Music Store are just the very beginning. What's especially interesting is that the only innovation is coming from outside the industry. It's why I feel that the major labels are headed for a day of reckoning. They still don't get it, and I don't think they ever will.

I really hate to see the retail store go though. Unfortunately, they'll be the first ones to fall. Thanks to the major labels, cds are still way too expensive. As a result, the stores are getting killed. The Wherehouse just closed all of its non-mall stores. Tower is in deep trouble too.

It's really strange. There's a quick and easy fix to all of this: lowering the wholesale cost of cds. If the most expensive cds sold for $10 (retail), people would flock in droves back to the stores. What the labels fail to realize is that there's a psychological problem that occurs when someone has to fork over a $20 bill for a piece of plastic. I know this because I've been on both sides of the counter. Watching a young kid fork over a $20 bill for one cd is not a pretty site. In fact, it's sad. At $10, cds would fly off the shelves. You'd think the years of consumer complaints and eventual price fixing lawsuit would serve as a wakeup call. Nope. The people running the labels truly are morons.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2003, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by IceEnclosure:

quality control, if you will (captivates your party patrol, your mind body and soul, for whom the bell tolls - let the rythym explode, big bad and bold, B-Boys of old...)
Many styles we hold, let the story be told
Whether platinum or gold, we use breath control
So let the beat unfold, intro on drum roll
We be the Lik like E, Tash, and J-Ro
We harass niggas like we was the po-po

Good stuff IE

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2003, 03:58 PM

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2003, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by Arty50:
What the labels fail to realize is that there's a psychological problem that occurs when someone has to fork over a $20 bill for a piece of plastic. I know this because I've been on both sides of the counter. Watching a young kid fork over a $20 bill for one cd is not a pretty site. In fact, it's sad. At $10, cds would fly off the shelves. You'd think the years of consumer complaints and eventual price fixing lawsuit would serve as a wakeup call. Nope. The people running the labels truly are morons.
You neglect the fact that CDs are about as cheap as media have ever been.

Inflation-adjusted, record albums (not cassettes) have more or less always stayed the same price.

It just didn't used to be the twelve-year-olds shelling out hundreds of dollars a year for music. Back in the day, a lot of college students had like five albums.

A real problem for the record industry is the devaluation of music. Back when there were a couple of hundred albums you could buy, you got a couple a year from your favorite bands. Nowadays, music is ubiquitous.

Kids ten years younger than I have *hundreds* of CDs. Nothing wrong with that, per se.
But the expectation that they should be able to *afford* them as well, and that the system should still be able to function the way it always has is just *weird*.

-s*

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2003, 04:48 PM

Queen is my favorite semi-recent (early-mid 90s) non-indie band. other than that, bands like Pink Floyd, The Who, the Stones, Beatles, etc. are great. Also, any band with Mike Patton (there's been a few: Tomahawk, Soundgarden, and, my personal favorite, Mr. Bungle -- probably the weirdest music i've ever heard, but definitely some of the best. Their 'California' album is one of my favorite albums) David Bowie is good, too. Add to that a bunch of great indie bands, and there's plenty of stuff to listen to without resorting to mainstream ear-poison

gwehr
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
Queen is my favorite semi-recent (early-mid 90s) non-indie band. other than that, bands like Pink Floyd, The Who, the Stones, Beatles, etc. are great. Also, any band with Mike Patton (there's been a few: Tomahawk, Soundgarden, and, my personal favorite, Mr. Bungle -- probably the weirdest music i've ever heard, but definitely some of the best. Their 'California' album is one of my favorite albums) David Bowie is good, too. Add to that a bunch of great indie bands, and there's plenty of stuff to listen to without resorting to mainstream ear-poison
When was Mike Patton ever in Soundgarden?

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2003, 04:56 PM

When was Mike Patton ever in Soundgarden?
sorry, i think i was thinking of Faith No More

gwehr
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2003, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
sorry, i think i was thinking of Faith No More
That makes more sense. That's kind of weird, confusing Faith No More and Soundgarden. They don't really sound much alike.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2003, 05:05 PM

You neglect the fact that CDs are about as cheap as media have ever been.

Inflation-adjusted, record albums (not cassettes) have more or less always stayed the same price.

It just didn't used to be the twelve-year-olds shelling out hundreds of dollars a year for music. Back in the day, a lot of college students had like five albums.

A real problem for the record industry is the devaluation of music. Back when there were a couple of hundred albums you could buy, you got a couple a year from your favorite bands. Nowadays, music is ubiquitous.

Kids ten years younger than I have *hundreds* of CDs. Nothing wrong with that, per se.
But the expectation that they should be able to *afford* them as well, and that the system should still be able to function the way it always has is just *weird*.

-s*
Those kids who have hundreds of cds generally buy used discs though. You can get at least two used cds for the price of one new one. My store sold tons of used cds. It's the only way some people can afford their music habit. Most people don't have many cds, and the number one reason I'm always given is the cost.

As for affordability and the current system, this is just basic economics. It's hard to argue that cds today aren't overpriced. I don't know a single person that doesn't complain about this. That should raise a huge economic flag. I'm not going to draw supply and demand curves, but I'll try to sum it up. Right now, consumers are unwilling to spend $20 on a cd. So despite the fact that they want to buy certain cds, they don't because they can't justify the expenditure. As a result the total sales volume suffers greatly. If the price of cds were lowered substantially, then the sales volume of cds would rise.

It's all a psychological game. If I have $20 and know that it will only buy me one album, why should I go through all the trouble of going down to the store. Plus that $20 will do a lot more elsewhere. However, if I know that $20 will buy me two cds, then I'd be much more likely to go down to the store and spend my money on music. I'd also not just be buying that new album I wanted, but I'd get that old one I've been wanting for a while. It's all about how you feel when you walk out. And right now consumers feel like they're getting ripped off.

Also if I can get two for $20, I'm more likely to get 3 for $30. But if I can only get one for $20, that second one costs me $40, and that third one costs me $60. See the problem?

From the industry side of things lowering the price is good too. Not only have you just sold a new release, but you've also sold something from another artist or a back catalogue. So now you've recouped the costs on two artists, and this helps you to build two bands at once not just one. Remember, variety is good because that's how that business grows. Artistic development is very important for future business.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2003, 05:15 PM

It truly warms this robot's heart to hear more than person mention Yo La Tengo. That, people, is love for music.

Furthermore, let me voucher for Sonic Youth, not that they need any vouchering, though. More than two decades' worth of guitar riffs and feedback love. Long live SY.
I, ASIMO.

gwehr
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2003, 05:19 PM

It truly warms this robot's heart to hear more than person mention Yo La Tengo. That, people, is love for music.

Furthermore, let me voucher for Sonic Youth, not that they need any vouchering, though. More than two decades' worth of guitar riffs and feedback love. Long live SY.
Agreed, and agreed. I adore Yo La Tengo. Such beautiful music. And Sonic Youth is still great after all these years.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2003, 05:47 PM

SY was supposed to open for Iggy Pop & The Stooges here the other night, but it got postponed due to the blackout. I hope SY is still on the bill when it's rescheduled.

neon_duke
Aug 17, 2003, 11:22 PM

Are you kidding me? Who told you that Live (especially Ed, the singer) were "hardcore atheists"? There is religious symbolism and outright references all through their music, and always has been.
www.gtplanet.net
www.neons.org

saltines17
Senior User
Aug 18, 2003, 02:36 AM

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 02:39 AM

Are you kidding me? Who told you that Live (especially Ed, the singer) were "hardcore atheists"? There is religious symbolism and outright references all through their music, and always has been.

Ed did. We are like *that*. "To defeat thy enemy, know thy enemy." Or something like that.

Of course I am kidding you...partly. They, especially Ed, were not too fond of religion. Ed was an angry little skinny white boy who had trouble keeping his shirt on, and he had a grudge against christianity/catholicism/parables/tales/etc. for a while.

Do not ask me how I know these inane facts; ask my maker: Honda. Intelligent design, indeed.
I, ASIMO.

kdogg73
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2003, 01:12 PM

What The Heck Happend To Music?
I was under the notion the music took a perverbial sh!t in the nineties. I didn't see anything except regurgitation of pop, r/b, grunge and bubble gum pop. I think a basic formula happened to lead to such a tragedy. Clear Channel bought up station after radio station across the country. Big music companies inturn paid CC to play just their most highly played artist over and over again. This killed the radio DJ and rotted the music listener's taste.

Then something great happened.

Online music streams started to emerge over night at the turn of the millinium. iTunes, for one, broke the genre's down for their online music selection. You knew your taste in music. Pick your genre. Pick a style. Pick a stream. The artist name and song title was all that you got, only if you picked an online station that broadcasted that information. Assuming that information was correct, you now had a new favorite song by an artist you may have never heard of before. Bam. Music was alive.

Then something bad happened.

RIAA started to shut these operations down if you didn't pay the new licensing fees. Half the time, people where funding their own passion of sharing great music, with a request of donations from online listeners. Through some miracles, a few stations have survived.

The stream I picked was www.flaresound.com back in the day. It has since moved operations out of the country and became www.netmusique.com. I still get my music fix there and try to make donations. I then go and buy these albums from the artist directly from the indi label producer, the artist or Amazon.com. Sometimes it can be difficult to locate certain things, but hey, there lays a challenge. HTH

Have you seen my pants?

Forum Links
Forum Rules