Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any good desks for a PC and Powerbook?

Any good desks for a PC and Powerbook?
PatsPalace24
Jun 24, 2004, 10:26 PM

Currently, I have a PC w/ a 21" CRT and a soon to be 15" Powerbook! My desk right now, well..... SUCKS! Just like a 7yr. olds desk to do homework, but not a computer one. I really want an L Shaped desk. Everyone has this glass one, but how does this do with all the cords? Do they look ugly, cuz you just see right through the desk to the whole pile of cords. Any good and sleek looking wooden L desks, or any glass ones that any of you have that are happy with. I am really looking to spend no more than 150, so not too expensive, thanks!
15" Powerbook G4 1.5
512 MB, 80GB 5400 Hard Drive
Superdrive, AP, Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard
20 GB 3G iPod

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2004, 10:54 AM

Have you gone and checked Ikea? They opened up a store in College Park, MD last year I believe, not sure if there are any others closer to you then that.

Usually they have some pretty cool computer tables that aren't too expensive. I've also seem some exec glass desks there as well, but wasn't able to find any on their website.

Go check them out if you get a chance, I'm sure they'll have something you'll like. http://www.ikea-usa.com/
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by SplijinX:
Have you gone and checked Ikea? They opened up a store in College Park, MD last year I believe, not sure if there are any others closer to you then that.
The closest IKEA to Baltimore is in White Marsh Mall off I-95.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2004, 04:20 PM

Check out your local Staples/Office max type store. My brother just got all new stuff for his room and my parents picked him up a nice wooden corner desk at Staples for under 200. It is a large unit and has a shelving system that came with it. He has a 17" crt on there with plenty of room to spare (21" would easily work). Also there is plenty of room for a laptop on there without a doubt. Probably could fit a printer on the actual desk surface also, but he has his up top.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2004, 06:54 PM

what part of $150 maximum did you not understand?

these links are for designer furniture. DWR has no desks under $500, which is a crime considering the simplicity of their desks. i'm sure we'd all like to buy top notch desks to put our top notch computers on, but we tend to spend $2000 on computers, not on desks.

thanks anyway, i do like to see what the really nice stuff is! i just wish i could afford it, though it does encourage me to go ahead and build my own furniture from real wood, and pay about $100 for materials.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Casper Crane:
what part of $150 maximum did you not understand?
I thought that there might be at least one "entry-level" desk among those websites.

Major companies will sometimes dispose of old office furniture through warehouse resellers. If there's an IBM, GM, HP, DuPont, etc. in your neighborhood, try to find out where they "recycle" their old furniture. You can often get an incredible bargain.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2004, 11:43 AM

no, i was just teasing.

there are actually some of the low level desks in there at

http://www.studiorta.com

for example.

unfinished furniture is one way to save money if you want to get real wood:

Pops Unfinished Desks

but for $150 or less, you really can't a good size solid wood desk. unless you build it yourself.

that's what i plan to do when i move soon.

otherwise go to Ikea, Office Depot, and Staples.oh, and unfinished furniture can also be found at Lowes and Home Depot.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2004, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by PatsPalace24:
Everyone has this glass one, but how does this do with all the cords? Do they look ugly, cuz you just see right through the desk to the whole pile of cords.
I hate cords and clutter myself, so I go out of my way to hide network cabling behind drywall and run AV cables beneath baseboards.

With regards to glass tables, Home Depot and Radio Shack sell wire organizer tubing and clips with which you can run cables behind the frame of your desk. Translucent tubing works best to conceal cables against metal frames.

Ask a sales rep to show you where the organizer tubing is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules