Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Treo 650?

Treo 650?
rambo47
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2004, 12:06 PM

Any info on the Treo 650? I've wanted a Treo for some time now, but the rumored upgrades coming to the 600 model have kept me on the sidelines. The addition of Bluetooth is key, and the new screen (320 X 320 vs. the old 160 X 160) is another big point. Now I hear there will be a SD card slot.

Mobile9 has an article that says it should be selling this month. I'm just wondering if anyone has heard anything more.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2004, 12:24 PM

supposedly the info (carriers, date, etc) is gonna drop on monday link

its supposed to go on sale before the holiday so i expect to see them around REAL soon. im right at the point where i need a new phone too, and ive lusted for the treo 600, so this is just about perfect. the price is going to be high, plan or no plan, but i really want to get rid of the palm + phone and carry just one device.

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2004, 07:24 PM

Check out http://www.palminfocenter.com

They have tons of new info and pictures. I have a Treo 600 and totally love the phone. It's the only convergence type device that I think is a good thing. I should say, for the way I use personal electronics, this is a perfect solution for me. I too was ready for a new phone and my palm was dying. So when I looked at the deal Spring was giving on the phone it worked out perfectly.

Get it, you won't regret it. Make sure to check out all the service providers in your area. I went with Sprint because they have a generous "all you can eat" data plan for $15.00 extra a month. Some people don't have good luck with Sprint, but I've had no problems. I live in Princeton, NJ and end up in NYC all the time.

Good luck, feel free to post if you guys have questions about the Treo.

-Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 08:29 AM

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by JFischel:
Check out http://www.palminfocenter.com

They have tons of new info and pictures. I have a Treo 600 and totally love the phone. It's the only convergence type device that I think is a good thing. I should say, for the way I use personal electronics, this is a perfect solution for me. I too was ready for a new phone and my palm was dying. So when I looked at the deal Spring was giving on the phone it worked out perfectly.

Get it, you won't regret it. Make sure to check out all the service providers in your area. I went with Sprint because they have a generous "all you can eat" data plan for $15.00 extra a month. Some people don't have good luck with Sprint, but I've had no problems. I live in Princeton, NJ and end up in NYC all the time.

Good luck, feel free to post if you guys have questions about the Treo.

-Josh
How's iSync with the Treo's? Any idea about Bluetooth iSync with the new Treo 650?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 25, 2004, 02:13 PM

These phones have never blown my skirt up. They are too big and with that big nasty antenna they are not going to fit in my pocket.

I guess these devices are everything but a phone first.

"Hello, what have we here?

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2004, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by cjrivera:
How's iSync with the Treo's? Any idea about Bluetooth iSync with the new Treo 650?
iSync works flawlessly with my Treo 600. Appointments, reminders, contacts, everything works perfect.

-Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
These phones have never blown my skirt up. They are too big and with that big nasty antenna they are not going to fit in my pocket.

I might tend to agree. I haven't seen one in person, but I would think the antenna might kill it for me. I have a Nokia 3650 right now, which is arguably a pretty big phone. I've gotten used to the size, though, and the Treo seems to be very similar in dimensions. What would kill it for me would be how those dimensions are used (the 3650 is rather rounded out making it feel smaller -- think 2G iPods compared to 3G iPods). Plus, the dimensions are without antenna. Would it really be that hard to put it inside?

That said, if the size works for me, it's going to be hard to say no. Ok, the size and the price. If the BB 7100 had better reception, I'd be all over that one.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by TimmyDee51:
I might tend to agree. I haven't seen one in person, but I would think the antenna might kill it for me.
The other thing I don't like is the screen will have sticky face prints all over it every time you make a call. I also normally have to use my phone with one hand and this thing doesn't look very easy to do that with.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2004, 07:31 PM

if you haven't seen it in person, what do you know?

the 3650 is bigger than the Treo 600. the antenna doesn't even come to the height of the 3650 and it is not as thick. the only dimension in which it loses is width.

plus, it's like comparing apples and oranges. touch screen? keyboard? there are smartphones and then there is the treo.

all the major complaints of the Treo 600 have been fixed:

1. bluetooth
2. high resolution screen
3. better camera - however, it is disappointing that the camera is only 0.3 MP instead of 1.3 as was rumored. that would have been a big difference. but not too surprising.

fact is, as soon as i can, i'm going to trade up from the 600. this device will kill all other high end smartphones. especially with EDGE support. too bad bluetooth may cause a data rate bottle neck for surfing wirelessly on your powerbook and Treo 650. still, it will beat standard GPRS.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2004, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Casper Crane:
1. bluetooth
2. high resolution screen
Those are very nice additions that I was waiting for. No I think it's finally time for me to jump on the smartphone bandwagon. If only T-Mobile would sell it already!

3. better camera - however, it is disappointing that the camera is only 0.3 MP instead of 1.3 as was rumored.
I couldn't care less about a camera in a phone. So that's not a factor for me at all.

I'm really curious to see how soon providers are going to offer the Treo 650 for sale. I'm afraid we're going to wait until spring for general availability. Please tell me it won't be so!

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2004, 08:20 PM

Sprint says they'll have it in November, and the GSM carriers are supposed to have it in the US before the end of the year, but who knows.

There is also talk of a camera-less version coming soon, so that should make you happy.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Casper Crane:
if you haven't seen it in person, what do you know?
I am basing everything on the 600 which I have used.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2004, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
I am basing everything on the 600 which I have used.
that comment was for TimmyDee. he said he hadn't seen one in person, which is why he thought the antenna might kill it for him.

i never notice the antenna and it feels fine in my pocket, and i am not a large person. but thank god tight jeans are not in!

Chulo
Oct 26, 2004, 01:11 AM

Does anyone know whether they changed the processor or is it the same one as in the 600? It would be nice to have a quicker processor (without too much of a hit on talk time).

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 01:30 AM

the 3650 is bigger than the Treo 600. the antenna doesn't even come to the height of the 3650 and it is not as thick. the only dimension in which it loses is width.
Really?!?! That just might do it for me. The dimensions (and the price to some extent) were holding me up. Now if only T-Mobile will just carry the phone! I think I'm sold.

k2director
Senior User
Oct 26, 2004, 01:34 AM

Still no voice dialing, though! How hard could that be, they stuffed just about every other feature into the phone.

Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 02:22 AM

An external antenna on ANY phone would be a deal breaker for me. The SE T637 is a dream.

Anywho, I would take this over a Treo anyday.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10..._sony_e_p910i/

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 02:37 AM

True, the 637 has a nice feature set, but how's the reception? I've heard nothing but bad things about SE's reception quality. I'd hate to take a big step down from my 3650 (in fact, that's what's eliminating the BB 7100 for me).

Plus, the 910i looks like it'll break the bank even more than a Treo.

Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 10:31 AM

True, the 637 has a nice feature set, but how's the reception? I've heard nothing but bad things about SE's reception quality. I'd hate to take a big step down from my 3650 (in fact, that's what's eliminating the BB 7100 for me).

Plus, the 910i looks like it'll break the bank even more than a Treo.
The t68i had so so reception but still acceptable. MY old T616 had good reception but when my provider switched to the 850 band the reception jumped up by 40%. The t637 has the same great reception, never get bellow 2 bars anywhere I travel in Canada.

I suspect most people that complain about reception are on crap providers or in low coverage areas.

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 04:01 PM

I was waiting for the Treo 650. Then I saw the Blackberry 7100t from Tmobile. I stopped waiting and bought it. This is THE best phone i have ever owned and it was only $200.

No crappy camera, just great email integration, amazing predictive text, bluetooth support (only for headsets i think), USB charging, and a beautiful high-rez screen. And it's smaller and lighter than the Treo.

80 bucks gets you 1500 minutes and unlimited Data. And I find the reception to be much better than my Nokia 3650.

-g

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by shatten22:
I was waiting for the Treo 650. Then I saw the Blackberry 7100t from Tmobile. I stopped waiting and bought it. This is THE best phone i have ever owned and it was only $200.

No crappy camera, just great email integration, amazing predictive text, bluetooth support (only for headsets i think), USB charging, and a beautiful high-rez screen. And it's smaller and lighter than the Treo.

80 bucks gets you 1500 minutes and unlimited Data. And I find the reception to be much better than my Nokia 3650.

-g
Thanks a lot. You just made my decision that much harder.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 08:45 PM

You have some small pockets. The Treo 600/650 are currently the best blend of phone/pda available. First off, the form factor is as good as it gets right now. It's small enough to fit in a pocket. Second, the Treo has a very good thumboard considering how small the overall unit is. Finally the Treo phone works very well, has a very nice speakerphone, and with the addition of Bluetooth will add support for wireless headsets.

If you carry a phone and a Palm, the Treo is an excellent option. This 650 will add pretty much everything I thought my 600 was lacking. You just can get much smaller without making the thumboard useless or the screen too small. I do tons of SMS and email on my Treo, and the thumboard is what makes that possible for me - Grafitti would drive me insane for all the texting I do. They will get thinner, lighter, and drop the antenna sooner or later. However the length and width are about as small as I'd ever go.

If you want a Treo 650 this year, you will probably have to go with Sprint. Go see TreoCentral.com for everything you need to know.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 08:47 PM

Can you key in text as fast as you would with a thumboard?

-g

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 01:22 PM

shatten22: Have you been able to synchronize contacts and calendar between your Mac and your Blackberry 7100t? If yes, how easy is it?

Escher

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
You have some small pockets. The Treo 600/650 are currently the best blend of phone/pda available. First off, the form factor is as good as it gets right now. It's small enough to fit in a pocket. Second, the Treo has a very good thumboard considering how small the overall unit is. Finally the Treo phone works very well, has a very nice speakerphone, and with the addition of Bluetooth will add support for wireless headsets.

If you carry a phone and a Palm, the Treo is an excellent option. This 650 will add pretty much everything I thought my 600 was lacking. You just can get much smaller without making the thumboard useless or the screen too small. I do tons of SMS and email on my Treo, and the thumboard is what makes that possible for me - Grafitti would drive me insane for all the texting I do. They will get thinner, lighter, and drop the antenna sooner or later. However the length and width are about as small as I'd ever go.

If you want a Treo 650 this year, you will probably have to go with Sprint. Go see TreoCentral.com for everything you need to know.
Nope, the SE 910 is a much better form for pockets are when you sit you don't have an antenna jab you in the leg. Also the interface is better.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 04:10 PM

The rumor going around is Sprint is buying every Treo 650 that Palm will make, so my guess it will be tough to get one for now.

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 06:59 PM

I have been using the Samsung I300/330 since they were released and I would hhave switched to the Treo but for one missing spec....Digital only.
I need to be able to get reception wherever I am and the Sprint network is.
I can never understand why they would make the Treo without the ability to roam on analog networks.
The quality is bad compared with digital but some reception is better than being hostage to digital ony reception.
I will also say that the Samsung has been a much better phone than I thought it would be. Very rugged and easy to use. Other than the face-print thing the screen has held up well and with Fingerdial it is very easy to search for numbers and dial.
The Treo may do other things but I have no complaints about the Samsung being a Palm first and Phone last.

rambo47  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by anthology123:
The rumor going around is Sprint is buying every Treo 650 that Palm will make, so my guess it will be tough to get one for now.
T-Mobile in NYC promises to have them for sale next week. Fingers crossed......

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
T-Mobile in NYC promises to have them for sale next week. Fingers crossed......
Ooooh. Let's hope they're not making things up! I'm sure I'd be tempted to get one if I could walk into a T-Mobile store and trade in my old Moto flip-phone for a Treo 650.

Escher

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by audvidsvs:
I have been using the Samsung I300/330 since they were released and I would hhave switched to the Treo but for one missing spec....Digital only.
I need to be able to get reception wherever I am and the Sprint network is.
I can never understand why they would make the Treo without the ability to roam on analog networks.
The quality is bad compared with digital but some reception is better than being hostage to digital ony reception.
I will also say that the Samsung has been a much better phone than I thought it would be. Very rugged and easy to use. Other than the face-print thing the screen has held up well and with Fingerdial it is very easy to search for numbers and dial.
The Treo may do other things but I have no complaints about the Samsung being a Palm first and Phone last.
um, the digital only thing was on the Treo 300. the 600 is quad-band GSM, dual band CDMA. i'm no wireless wiz, but i am pretty sure it roams on analog networks. and the 650 is the same. that complaint is so 2002.

also, the Samsung i300/330 is a legendary piece of junk compared to the Treo 600. it has an 8-bit color screen, no thumbboard, and has had more problems than any other Palm OS device I've ever heard of. i thought one of the good things about the Samsung was that it was more of a phone first (number pad) and a palm last. it was a good competitor for the Treo 300.

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 07:53 PM

I am fairly certain that the 600moffered by Sprint will not roam in Analog...If it would I would have had one for a while.

I did have problems at first with the I300 but the I330 has been flawless for me and I am not nice to it!

I use mine as a phone first and the simple interface of the screen is what I really like about it. The Treo seems "busy" buy comparison.

Although the Treo does a lot more,I was saying that for me being a phone first and Palm second has worked well for me.
I am ready to move forward though if the 650 can do analog and digital.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by audvidsvs:
Although the Treo does a lot more,I was saying that for me being a phone first and Palm second has worked well for me.
Ok, that's just the opposite of what you wrote in your first post. in that case, i agree with you and i can appreciate that perspective.

as for the analog roaming question, i may have been mistaken. i thought that was fixed in the Treo 600, but i just found online criticism of its lack of analog roaming support. so i stand corrected. and the 650 appears to be the same. i guess analog support just is not as important anymore now that most carrieres are going digital nationwide.

for the record, i've never been anywhere my Treo 600 didn't work. it roams digitally (presumably on Verizon).

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 08:11 PM

Nope, the SE 910 is a much better form for pockets are when you sit you don't have an antenna jab you in the leg. Also the interface is better.
I have yet to be jabbed by my treo 600, but if that chunky little stub suddenly gets sharp and or long enough to become a problem I'll let you know.

Comparing a $900 non-Palm OS phone that probably won't sync with my Mac, and is not available from Sprint or T-Mobile seems like apples to oranges.

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 08:12 PM

Sorry if I was unclear in my first post.
I use the thing as a phone and it is nice to have my Palm always with me too.
I would not have it with me unless I had the phone too,which I always do!.

I use Sprint and AT&T as I travel a lot and between them can almost always connect.
Without the analog ability of the I330 though I would always have two phones on my person and still would not get the coverage I do with just thhe I330.

It seems to me strange not to have that capability.I know we are living in a "dogital" world and all but the Treo just wont cut it for me this way.

I am sure battery life is a major obstacle but they only now have made the battery accessable and offer no way to add an extended battery.

As cutting edge as it is ,it just lacks features that are too important to me....and it kills me!!!!

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 02:12 AM

I just saw a Treo 600 in person this weekend and drooled heavily. Needless to say, I really want a 650 now (in case it wasn't obvious before).

Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by chrisutley:

Comparing a $900 non-Palm OS phone that probably won't sync with my Mac, and is not available from Sprint or T-Mobile seems like apples to oranges.
You can get the phone unlocked for less then $800 and it sync's with your Mac.

goose
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2004, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
The t68i had so so reception but still acceptable. MY old T616 had good reception but when my provider switched to the 850 band the reception jumped up by 40%.
Are you with AT&T? Sounds like the experience I got.

There's never enough when you have too little

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2004, 01:07 AM

I have been using a Treo600 sine they came out and have like it very much. It does have some shortcomings in the size, BT, screen and antenna areas, butt does do what it was designed to do. You can carry it in a pocket. Definitely not jeans pockets, but in a pairof dockers it works. You may have some stares, but its workable. I have yet to have it jab me with the antenna. The form factor is actually not bad considering you get a full qwerty keyboard. yes, you mayget some smears o n it when talking, but they arent noticeable when youre using it to answer e-mail, surf the web... The new 650 addresses many issues including the addition of BT, high res screen, removable battery and so forth, but it has created some problems with the new memory management features that P1 has encorporated. There are users at Treocentral.com that have already received units and encountered errors, so I'd wait a bit to see how P1 decides to address the issue.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2004, 08:17 PM

The Palm desktop software still sucks. You have to install that crap and that HotSync thingy, and they are very tempermental with the Mac. I just got fed up with it when I had a Treo 300. My buddy's new iMac won't work right with his Palm.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

goose
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2004, 06:50 PM

Just to ask. How well does the Palm OS sync to the apps on the Mac such as Address Book and iCal? How does it handled the different groups in Address Book and the different calendars in iCal? Does it know how to group them? Or does it just put everything into one category.

Been thinking that the Treo 650 looks pretty good, but am a little wary of the syncing capabilities...

Thanks.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2004, 06:57 PM

i sync my palm tt2, using bluetooth, regularly, np.
it's a little messy to set up...
you need the palm to isync conduit...it's on the apple site...somewhere (sorry, don't remember).

syncs address book & ical; palm memos etc go in the palm desktop (which i NEVER use).

gonna check out the treo 650...but,
think i like having just a phone to run with when i'm not in work mode...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 07:27 PM

Well, it's good to hear that the 650 syncs well. I'm looking forward to it myself not just for the basic PDA capabilities (which I am), but also for the possibilities with GPS. I will soon be doing a lot of field work and data collection that rely on GPS. Having one device that hooks up to a Bluetooth GPS receiver will make my life easier as well as open some exciting new possibilities.

Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2004, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by goose:
Are you with AT&T? Sounds like the experience I got.
well Rogers in Canada which was once with At&T.

Anywho, the Treo 650 is having some serious memory problems and Palm is sending out memory cards to people who have bought a treo to make up for the issue.

Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2004, 04:20 AM

Seems the sound quality when using the phone is also horrible.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&page=1&pp=20

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 03:20 PM

Well, yes and no. It seems as though sound quality is poor for some and just fine for others. I guess palmOne decided to use a new telephony unit (Qualcomm vs. Sierra Wireless on the old one, I believe). In any case, I have to wait until T-Mobile comes out with it, so hopefully they'll have all the kinks worked out. Given how long it takes T-Mobile to get phones, I'd say there's a good chance they can get all the kinks out.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 06:04 PM

I hope the audio issues are just sprint related and won't be there when the GSM version comes out.
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2004, 07:08 PM

Either way, with these memory problems and now poor audio it would be best to wait till Palm can fix these issues.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 08:02 PM

I completely agree. When I the 650 was first announced, I was pretty antsy to get my hands on one, but now I'm a bit (actually a lot) more reserved about it.

goose
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2004, 04:51 PM

I completely agree. When I the 650 was first announced, I was pretty antsy to get my hands on one, but now I'm a bit (actually a lot) more reserved about it.
I'm sure these issues will be addressed.....eventually. Maybe the fix will be known as the Treo 700.

Forum Links
Forum Rules