Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Building A Dream Recording Studio

Building A Dream Recording Studio (Page 3)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
These work well, we've caught a half dozen varmints at the garage with them.

Small 1-Door Easy Set Trap to Trap Weasels and More | Havahart

What you do with the critters after you've caught them is up to you, but I drop them off at the landfill.
I like the idea of "catch and release", even though he's dissed me now, but due to time issues, the plan is to have a pro bring in the murder pills. I'm hoping ratling leaves the Mogami snakes alone until tomorrow, and then I'll give them a steel wool sheath. For the digital cables, I'm thinking conduit armor. The 120VAC won't fit through. Be a real shame if he chewed on that, huh?
( Last edited by subego; Mar 2, 2014 at 08:13 PM. )

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2014, 08:57 PM

Yup. Not good, holmes. You've got too much going on in there to go out like this. I'd want to see its head for closure.
ebuddy

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2014, 09:34 PM

The thing is, I actually like rats. This one obviously isn't rabid, so I was totally fine with it doing its deal and me doing my deal.

But no. It had to go **** with me.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2014, 12:46 AM

Wouldn't you know it, I'm in the market for a midi cable. Say what you will about Monster Cable, and there's plenty to say about them, at least they sell you a midi cable which comes out of the package well behaved, instead of this twisted up lump of shit.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2014, 02:46 AM

I used to use regular kill traps, but with my little girl at the shop some of the time I thought it would be a bad deal to have those types of traps around. One, because she could get hurt, and two because it's tougher to teach her to be respectful of others, and the environment, when papa kills relatively defenseless critters. She loves animals, is obsessed with them, and seeing dead rats and mice would probably upset her. Right after we got the live traps, we caught a huge field rat 2 nights later and she was with me when I found it the next morning. So, I picked up the cage with the rat in it and explained what it was and that we were responsible for it now and needed to find it a new home, because it couldn't live with us. I could tell she was completely fascinated with it and got something out of the whole experience. Then we went to the corner of the landfill, 3 miles away, with our new rat "friend" and turned him loose and she waved and said good-bye, "bye, bye!" It was all very cool.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2014, 06:09 PM

I don't really want to kill something unless I plan to eat it or turn it into a coat. Even with this ****er. I'll protect the cables in the walls, and I imagine it will stop bothering me. The only thing which would concern me is rat babies.

I don't have to live there though.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2014, 01:55 AM

**** conduit. I'm going 1" black steel pipe for digital. For analog, the 2" pipe is literally a millimeter too small. I might go PVC, but I'd prefer something non-chewable.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2014, 02:19 AM

Okay... 2" couplers give me the millimeter I need, but aren't long enough to get all the way through the wall. I realized I can jam two of them together, somehow.

Any ideas how to connect galvanized steel couplers not using pipe?

Epoxy is my best thought at the moment.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2014, 02:21 AM

Maybe self-bonding tape?

reader50
Administrator
Mar 4, 2014, 05:40 AM

So you want to butt two 2" steel couplers together? You can get a 2" close-thread nipple, it would only add perhaps an inch to the length. Or get a plastic 2" thread sample, cut 1" of thread off, and thread it into both couplings to join them. Or have someone with a welder run a bead around the joint.

Then there's the old standby - duck tape fixes everything. A single layer of duck tape to hold them in place, then coat the joint inside with epoxy and let it set.

I'm fairly sure rodents can't eat through PVC pipe. We'd have all kinds of leaks (water & gas) followed by a rash of insurance claims across the country.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2014, 08:07 AM

I picked up the cage with the rat in it and explained what it was and that we were responsible for it now and needed to find it a new home, because it couldn't live with us. I could tell she was completely fascinated with it and got something out of the whole experience. Then we went to the corner of the landfill, 3 miles away, with our new rat "friend" and turned him loose and she waved and said good-bye, "bye, bye!" It was all very cool.
This is how to do it.

May not be appropriate or feasible for all possible situations, though.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2014, 02:18 PM

Also, shove some stiff steel wool into every rat hole you find.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
So you want to butt two 2" steel couplers together? You can get a 2" close-thread nipple, it would only add perhaps an inch to the length. Or get a plastic 2" thread sample, cut 1" of thread off, and thread it into both couplings to join them. Or have someone with a welder run a bead around the joint.

Then there's the old standby - duck tape fixes everything. A single layer of duck tape to hold them in place, then coat the joint inside with epoxy and let it set.

I'm fairly sure rodents can't eat through PVC pipe. We'd have all kinds of leaks (water & gas) followed by a rash of insurance claims across the country.
Nipple's a no-go. I can't reduce the ID of the coupler even a hair's length or the DB25 connector won't fit. I will probably just duck it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Also, shove some stiff steel wool into every rat hole you find.
Just got me a giant bag full.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2014, 11:56 AM

Best home theater ever? Maybe so. (Or is that "make it so"?)

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2014, 09:20 PM

Used self bonding tape and gaff tape for the couplers. Stuffed steel wool wherever there was a gap between the couplers and the wall.

Since there are steel wool "hairs" poking out from around the coupler, I am forced to show my true colors and name these contraptions after lady parts.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2014, 09:23 PM

The armored ladypart.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2014, 01:11 AM

Well... tomorrow is the day.

In theory, the covers come off the flight cases, and I actually have things I can take pictures of on the studio side not named after genitals.

That's the theory.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 11, 2014, 02:14 AM

Your wall hole reminds me of a cannon barrel just poking through the wall. You could add a Warning sign, "Stand Clear of Blast" along with some carbonization marks to help people reach the right conclusion.

I once built a demo board which used a transformer as a current transformer instead of the usual voltage conversion. The question for fellow students was what happens when the power switch is turned on. I used a torch to blacken things a little bit under the transformer. You know, to help the guessers along.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2014, 03:25 AM

Now it's the lady part cannon.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2014, 12:15 AM

Kinda hard to believe, but here's a picture from the studio side.

This is the solid state half of the gear which made the cut with the limited space I'm working with.

From top to bottom...

Bare bones 20A power strip. I have the isolation transformer where power comes in, so I don't need any protection circuitry, nor do I want that circuitry putting noise on the AC.

VU meters. Many VU meters.

192 jacks. I'm using close to ¾ of them. Labels are a work in progress. Pretty thankful Switchcraft makes these with DB-25 in the back. That would have been too much soldering.

Roll summing box. I'd like to do analog summing, but seems like a pain in the ass. I figure this is a way to try it without buying a ridiculously expensive summing amp. With this box, it only has summing circuitry. You use a set of your own pres as the amplifier stage.

API EQ.

Empty space for a "clean as possible" EQ. Wanted a George Massenburg Labs EQ, but those are no longer available. Open to options, so suggest away!

Dual 1176LN

The "Abbey Road" pres. All the others I'm using aren't rack mounted.

2 x Distressors

Hear Back setup for headphones.

And to bottom it off, one more 20 power strip. This is where power comes into the rack.

I organized everything based on having some semblance of airflow. I'm not sure of the heat profiles on some of these things under load, so I may tighten things up down the line.

After much thought, I decided putting all of this on a dolly was the best plan considering my limited space. When things are wired up, it gets slammed right up on that back wall. If I need to get behind it, then it rolls back out. The two things which made it complicated are the floor is Scottish Highlands not level, and I had to make sure everything had enough slack to move out three feet.

It's not as nice as having actual access to behind the rack, but me and another person can pull it out in 5 minutes, and I have a decent amount of room to work until it takes two people about 5 minutes to put back without destroying all the snakes I'm using.
( Last edited by subego; Mar 14, 2014 at 03:28 PM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2014, 03:22 PM

Rat situation is progressing as close to horrible as possible.

Exterminator came in. Happened to be a hip-hop producer. Told us we should really be using ProTools instead of Logic. My partner mentioned this is the fifth or sixth time he's had this exact exchange with someone.

Exterminator set up the traps. One was on a little ledge behind my shelf.

The rat trips it (this is within 6 hours). I go to check what the noise was, and the rat with trap fall off the ledge to the floor behind my workshelf. The rat comes out of the trap and is pretty clearly alive.

I don't want to deal with this at the moment, so I go into the studio half to plot strategies. I'm squeamish, but my partner is really squeamish, so I'm guessing most of the nastiness will fall to me.

Definitely time for a cig at this point, so I build up the courage to go back in to check the situation and get my coat. Total worst-case scenario. The rat is just mortally wounded and breathing heavy.

I go out for a cig and have two choices.

I do the moral thing, go back in and crush its head under a cinder block. Or, I split.

Not proud of it. I split. Last time I had to euthanize a rodent I was depressed for days. I kinda can't deal with that now.

OTOH, I'm not particularly religious, but it's this kind of choice I make which I feel is going to come back to haunt me in the afterlife.
( Last edited by subego; Mar 14, 2014 at 03:33 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Mar 14, 2014, 04:12 PM

Perhaps you could view this as karma catching up with the rat. Don't forget he is guilty of crimes. Try seeing things from his perspective.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2014, 04:24 PM

While there was a moment, right after the entire studio died, where I felt that way, but it didn't even last a day. It was doing what rats do.

I try to have a firm "non-judgement" policy.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2014, 04:46 PM

Is there anything to this ProTools over Logic except for rampant fanboyism?

I'm assuming it can't be different from the situation with non-linear editors for video.

If you take the top tier programs, Premiere and Final Cut, either of them do everything you need.

I personally think Final Cut is a frigging nightmare. I hate, hate, HATE it. That said, it functions. I wouldn't tell someone to switch to Premiere if I heard they used Final Cut. I'm not a huge fan of Premiere, it just fits my workflow a lot better.

If someone says "I use Final Cut" what jumps immediately to mind is to ask if they like it, not tell them to switch.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 14, 2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
While there was a moment, right after the entire studio died, where I felt that way, but it didn't even last a day. It was doing what rats do.

I hope you don't apply this policy to ALL rats. The ones in DC come to mind.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2014, 05:03 PM

I hope you don't apply this policy to ALL rats. The ones in DC come to mind.
Even with them. Humans are just too good at rationalizing their own behavior.

That's not to say actions shouldn't have consequences, only those actions make far more sense to the actor than an outside observer. Attempts to divine why someone did something will likely fail, therefore any judgement made will likely be based on false assumptions.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2014, 05:36 PM

Is there anything to this ProTools over Logic except for rampant fanboyism?

I'm assuming it can't be different from the situation with non-linear editors for video.

If you take the top tier programs, Premiere and Final Cut, either of them do everything you need.

I personally think Final Cut is a frigging nightmare. I hate, hate, HATE it. That said, it functions. I wouldn't tell someone to switch to Premiere if I heard they used Final Cut. I'm not a huge fan of Premiere, it just fits my workflow a lot better.

If someone says "I use Final Cut" what jumps immediately to mind is to ask if they like it, not tell them to switch.
There are certain things that are just way easier to deal with in individual apps, and depending upon what you need or what you've built your workflow/thinking around, you're just way faster in that application.

For example, if you want to integrate MIDI instruments/virtuals with your productions, you do not work with ProTools. ProTools, on the other hand, had dedicated hardware for many years, which made it the most powerful option for audio recording for about a decade.

I see things in Cubase/Nuendo that I wish I had in Logic (such as adjustable volume "handles" directly on the audio regions and simple fade handles — in Logic, I need to mouse over to the left-hand-side inspector to change these things).

FWIW, I like Final Cut Pro X, though I'm really just dabbling in it at this point. I can't help but wonder if there's a more elegant/overseeable way to handle keyframes per effect.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2014, 05:54 PM

That all makes sense. Different programs are going to have different strengths and foibles. We're using midi, so the insistence we should be using ProTools is bullshit. The Apogee has 64 channels of I/O without ProTools, so dedicated ProTools hardware isn't offering me something I don't already have.

My problems with FCPX are mostly workflow related. Last time I used it, it had very poor support for having clips crunched in After Effects and then reintegrated. This wasn't a problem in FCP7.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2014, 06:18 PM

I thought you were going with a live trap? Although I can kill them, I won't do it again. Now, if it's something I'll eat or wear, it wouldn't faze me at all, but simply for my convenience? No. Sorry, I know you feel bad and I'm not trying to pile-on, but this won't get easier and you should probably look into a more humane means of dealing with them. Aren't you a cat person?
- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2014, 06:34 PM

Live trap is what I'd have preferred, but I don't live there, so it's ultimately not my call. I mentioned the idea of live traps, but that didn't seem to be getting traction, so I didn't push it.

I'm pretty sure most of it will get easier. I'm okay, relatively speaking, with the idea of killing them. The problem wasn't the trap killing it, the problem was it not killing it. The problem is it fell to me to finish the job.

Now, perhaps this was an improper rationalization on my part, but last time I needed to euthanize a rodent, it ****ed me up for a few days. This would be an extraordinarily bad time for that.

So I took the option to abdicate on my responsibility to euthanize it. I'm aware this was a totally shitty thing to do. As I said, it's choices like this I have waiting for me... later. Probably in hell, quite frankly.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2014, 06:47 PM

P.S. I don't think you're piling on. Whatever you think, lay it on me.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2014, 11:56 PM

The dead rat is gone.

Great. Now it's mad.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 15, 2014, 12:04 AM

Vampire rats in the building. This could complicate things.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2014, 02:22 AM

They can be tough SOBs, you might have simply knocked him silly and bloodied him up. Now he's going to be tough to catch.

Or, he's crawled somewhere to die that's difficult to reach... that won't smell good.
- Thomas Paine

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2014, 03:05 PM

Rats are vermin and carry disease - cover everything with sheets and plastic covers and fumigate the pace!

An alternative would be to set out several huge globs of peanut butter laced with arsenic.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2014, 03:54 PM

As expected, the first official shakedown went horribly. Half the VU meters aren't getting power for some reason, and I'm getting nothing from the Abbey Road pres.

I'm bringing over another pre today and try to track down the problem. Since I couldn't get anything out of the pre, the rest of the chain is still virgin territory.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2014, 07:33 PM

Either another rat, or Mighty Ratâ„¢ got hit with a trap square. I've been asked to do disposal.

I've agreed, but had to engineer an elaborate system of garbage bags to eliminate all visual or tactile similarity to doing what I'm actually doing. We'll see if my build is up to snuff in an hour or so.

Update: disposed of. My system worked so well I had to look to make sure I was holding it. I clearly deserve some type of engineering award.
( Last edited by subego; Mar 16, 2014 at 05:20 AM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2014, 01:45 AM

This tilt is going to **** with my OCD.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2014, 10:25 AM

You're killin' me with these updates!

First let me say; I feel ya. Several years ago we had a stray little baby bird poke it's little stray, baby-bird head through the neighbor's fence and the neighbor's Samoya-mix took a snatch at it. Mortally wounded the bird, but it was still alive, sitting in my hand. I eventually determined the best thing would be to end its suffering so I did exactly what you suggested with the cinder-block. I put a little hand-towel around its head (mostly for me of course) and took a hard, single whack at it to put it out. IT'S A BABY FRIGGIN' BIRD, MOST DIE ANYWAY! But this wracked my brain for several days, it really did. I remembered being bitter that I had to even have that experience. What can I say, I'm far too citified.

Now on to what I call the submarine anomaly. My studio is in our basement and the basement floor was designed to slope inward at a drain in the laundry room. Well... the home was built in 1924 so needless to say there are some pretty sharp slopes at this point. If you sit in a rolling office chair and let go of the desk, you likewise will begin to roll toward the drain in the laundry room. I have a large, single-framed upright rack that I call the "obelisk" and it has casters that I have to put on caster-cups to ensure it also does not roll to the laundry-room drain. I obsess over crooked pictures and the like and this leaning tower of Pisa bothers me a great deal.

I need a fool-proof, relatively inexpensive way of leveling this floor, but I haven't a clue.
ebuddy

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2014, 10:53 AM

We have Clarence, now. He doesn't cause any problems and loves any type of fruit, plus belly rubs.

- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I need a fool-proof, relatively inexpensive way of leveling this floor, but I haven't a clue.
I spent (wasted) a good 40 hours noodling a way to do this without re-laying concrete. It's made more difficult by being in an alcove. Even if I could lay something flat on the floor, I can only get under whatever that is from one direction. There'd be no way for me to jack up the other sides while the flat thing was on the floor.

Luckily, I have a big box of wedges for leveling dolly track. I lined those up against the back wall, so at least there isn't much front to back tilt, but left to right is outside my control.

This is the real reason it takes two people to move it back in. I push the rack down into the valley, and then up the ramp of wedges along the back wall. The other person is there to go "whoa" when I'm about to smash the cables between the rack and the wall.

At that point I put the brakes on the casters and hope it doesn't roll back down into the valley.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2014, 05:34 PM

We have Clarence, now. He doesn't cause any problems and loves any type of fruit, plus belly rubs.

He looks like a Clarence.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 16, 2014, 05:39 PM

Looks like Clarence enjoys a relaxing smoke too.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2014, 08:42 PM

Looks like it could be a crack pipe.
ebuddy

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2014, 12:09 AM

He looks like a Clarence.
I kept saying we weren't going to turn him into a pet, but unfortunately that's exactly what happened. He's had his shots and sleeps in a basket under the porch, so I guess it's more or less official now.

Look at him, wouldn't you?
- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2014, 10:31 PM

Sooooo thankful yet again for these DB25 patch bays. I need to rearrange my setup. My original instinct of having all my preamp outputs going straight into the DAW was most flexible way to run things. I'm never not going to want to record a clean feed off the preamps, so that kind of setup would take care of it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2014, 07:01 PM

Finally did some real testing. Neumann U87, Mojave MA-300, AEA R44, and a Heil PR-40, all through a Martech MSS-10.

The Mojave just edged out the Neumann. It's warmer sounding, which isn't a surprise, that's what tubes do. The U87 sounded good, but was very unforgiving. I could hear the saliva. Brighter than I was expecting, but not in a bad way.

We're going to fiddle with the room a bit and try again on Tuesday.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2014, 08:47 PM

Also, the rats have either died, fled, or are being really quiet during their raids.

Still have poop-water dripping from the ceiling though.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2014, 12:15 AM

Also, the rats have either died, fled, or are being really quiet during their raids.

Still have poop-water dripping from the ceiling though.
Could be explained be the warmer weather.

When it was really cold outside, it would "bring them in."

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules