Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple's Stock Dives 15% On Profit Warnings

Apple's Stock Dives 15% On Profit Warnings
Peder Rice
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2002, 06:38 PM

Yikes, it's only 5:41 and Apple's stock has already fallen 15% in after hours trading. Wow. This is bad for Apple shareholders.

The stock market just won't give Apple a fair chance, will it?

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2002, 06:41 PM

no, wall street hates apple, always have always will. As long as your not a day trader the drop should not effect you much.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Macintosh
Banned
Jun 18, 2002, 07:21 PM

It is really a shame that the damn wall street analysts think they know tech. They obviously dont know **** and just go by previosly concieved notions of more than a half a decade ago. Apple's stock should be in the mid thirties by now, with their constant innovation, solid management, and great cash flow along with 4 good years and counting. Apple should be looked at as a shining example of what a tech company should be especially in this economy.

Its a shame that wall street has put up a wall against Apple, what else do they have to do to climb this wall? This wall street? Ok. you get it now.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2002, 08:14 PM

Apple announced a 10% drop in revenue. Don't tell me you're expecting any company that did that to have their stock rise.

Thunderbird
Senior User
Jun 18, 2002, 08:16 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Macintosh:
<strong>It is really a shame that the damn wall street analysts think they know tech. They obviously dont know **** and just go by previosly concieved notions of more than a half a decade ago. Apple's stock should be in the mid thirties by now, with their constant innovation, solid management, and great cash flow along with 4 good years and counting. Apple should be looked at as a shining example of what a tech company should be especially in this economy.

Its a shame that wall street has put up a wall against Apple, what else do they have to do to climb this wall? This wall street? Ok. you get it now.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">What do they have to do to climb that wall?? They have to sell more computers than they sold last year!

With all that constant innovation, solid management, and great cash flow, Apple still sells fewer computers today than they did 5 years ago. Their revenues are falling year after year, and they will probably never again see annual revenues of $11 billion (they'll be lucky to see $5 billion this year.)

Wall Street responds to facts, and the fact is that Apple still sells fewer computers today than they did in 1995, and they have less than 1/2 of the revenues of the 1995 Apple. Cost cutting only goes so far. At some point you have to sell more if you want to make more money. When Apple decides that it wants to be a growth company again, maybe Wall Street will pay more attention. Until then, SELL, SELL, SELL!!

The preceding statement was made by a bitter current shareholder.

<small>[ 06-18-2002, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Thunderbird ]</small>

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2002, 08:19 PM

Thats f*cked up. Microsoft announces they shipped a virus to china and their stock goes up.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2002, 09:44 PM

So have any other computer hardware companies been forced to issue profit warnings this quarter?

foamy
Senior User
Jun 18, 2002, 10:05 PM

I might just have to put a buy order in tomorrow after it falls a bit further

Leonis
Senior User
Jun 18, 2002, 10:33 PM

Hope this profit warning can force Apple to face the reality and to release something with true value (especially to PowerMac).
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

foamy
Senior User
Jun 18, 2002, 11:00 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"> Hope this profit warning can force Apple to face the reality and to release something with true value (especially to PowerMac). </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">They realize it alright. Here's a quote from macintouch re: the reasons for lower than expected earnings.

"2. a delay in purchases in Apple's creative professional market that was even weaker than Apple expected at the start of the quarter"

Really? You don't say?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2002, 11:06 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">
Hope this profit warning can force Apple to face the reality and to release something with true value (especially to PowerMac).
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">When is Apple going to realize that they can almost quadruple their market share by going with Intel? All you need to do is provide CDs of OS X and let it loose on all those PCs that can handle it.

Mike

<small>[ 06-18-2002, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: starman ]</small>

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2002, 11:07 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Montanan:
<strong>So have any other computer hardware companies been forced to issue profit warnings this quarter?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Yes. AMD has dropped more than Apple has. But of course, we will be hearing tomorrow that Apple is in deep doodoo and will be going out of business any day now.....for AMD it is just a little "blip" in the market because of the slow economy.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

hayesk
Jun 19, 2002, 12:03 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by starman:
<strong>When is Apple going to realize that they can almost quadruple their market share by going with Intel? All you need to do is provide CDs of OS X and let it loose on all those PCs that can handle it.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Quadruple their share and cut their profits. How does Apple stay in business losing money on every copy of MacOS X. They need the hardware profit margins to stay in business.

Besides, why would a developer produce a MacOS X Intel version of software if they know their customers can run Windows too.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2002, 01:17 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by starman:
<strong>]When is Apple going to realize that they can almost quadruple their market share by going with Intel? All you need to do is provide CDs of OS X and let it loose on all those PCs that can handle it.

Mike</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">They do that and they'll be out of business in five years. Apple is not in the business of selling software, its in the business of selling a total solution. Running X on the myriad of available PC configurations available would take away the main benefit Apple has got: Hardware and software work perfectly to gether (well most of the time) because they come from the same stable. If they release X for Intel, why should I bother buying more expensive Mac hardware?

One of the reasons Apple is hurting is that their traditional client industries are struggling badly, advertising, design and film production companies. I know that because I am trying to make a living in this very same industry and it's not easy right now. I am certainly in no position to buy new hardware for my own business when we're not sure were our next jobs are coming from.

<small>[ 06-19-2002, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Mastrap ]</small>

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2002, 01:41 AM

Right on Mastrap! Ad revenues are so dry that we are thinking of offering sexual favors free with each ad sold. And, no body is buying anything. [sarcasm]"Quark 5? What's that? And, I've been hearing about this G4 thing. Has anyone else heard of it? I'm told it would really speed up production, but the financial guy says that it's just a myth thought up by people who want to put Power Computing out of business. But, I don't seem to be able to find their web site to ask questions about my computer at work. Do you think they're having money problems too?"[end sarcasm]

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

Skywalker
Jun 19, 2002, 03:49 AM

Wallstreet is not very forgiving towards Apple. Even after three (?) straight years of profits. They all use PCs and get the impression Apple is fading into oblivion so they're just waiting until the first sign of bad news to lower Apple ratings and declare the beginning of the end.

I think Apple's only downfall is the processor. If they can only get Motorola to churn out faster CPUs for computers and get rid of all this megahertz differential. One day, Steve can get a machine and demo how much faster IE on the Mac is than IE on the PC! I really think Apple should just buy out the technology from Motorola and build its own chips.

Other than that, Apple's got many great things going on and coming up: Jaguar, Ink, Cocoa, 802.11g, iMac, XServe, loyal customer base, cool alternative to PCs and Unix boxes, video editing, games, Apple stores, ... you name it.

I think all this adds up to great potential for future market growth. They just need to convince Wallstreet of that.
iBook 600, 384MB RAM, 30GB HD
OS 10.1.4/9.2.2

adamtki
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2002, 04:00 AM

Wallstreet is not very forgiving towards Apple. Even after three (?) straight years of profits. They all use PCs and get the impression Apple is fading into oblivion so they're just waiting until the first sign of bad news to lower Apple ratings and declare the beginning of the end.

I think Apple's only downfall is the processor. If they can only get Motorola to churn out faster CPUs for computers and get rid of all this megahertz differential. One day, Steve can get a machine and demo how much faster IE on the Mac is than IE on the PC! I really think Apple should just buy out the technology from Motorola and build its own chips.

Other than that, Apple's got many great things going on and coming up: Jaguar, Ink, Cocoa, 802.11g, iMac, XServe, loyal customer base, cool alternative to PCs and Unix boxes, video editing, games, Apple stores, ... you name it.

I think all this adds up to great potential for future market growth. They just need to convince Wallstreet of that.
PowerBook G4 800, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD
OS 10.3/9.2.2

Monique
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2002, 09:56 AM

Really, if you really think about it stock prices are really irrelevant to the worth of a company like Apple and Oracle. Meaning for companies who are already establish it is not on stocks prices that a company pays its employees it is on its profits. Now for new companies that want to get more investors it is more important.

53ehelomech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2002, 10:33 AM

I think what cracks me up more than anything is that Apple's stock has been declining since the middle of May with the news of company officers dumping their shares. Since that time the stock has dropped at least $5 which would lead one to believe the bad news has already been priced into the stock. But, NO!! Instead, the analysts downgrade the stock without taking into account the price drop since mid May. No wonder investors have no confidence..... boneheads!!!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2002, 12:11 PM

<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">When is Apple going to realize that they can almost quadruple their market share by going with Intel? All you need to do is provide CDs of OS X and let it loose on all those PCs that can handle it.

Mike</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">...at the cost of almost every advantage OSX has. By releasing on that awful architecture, Apple instantly loses its integration benefits. Then of course there's the extreme messed-upness of the chip itself, which would cause problems of its own. And let's not forget how badly that would cannibalize the bread and butter of Apple's income: hardware sales.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2002, 12:33 PM

AAPL apple computer inc 17.46 -2.69 / -13.35%

ouch.

Apple currently ranks 12th overall in NASDAQ's "Big Losers" category.

I feel your pain, being an AT&T shareholder...
*empty space*

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2002, 01:52 AM

<strong>[QUOTE]When is Apple going to realize that they can almost quadruple their market share by going with Intel?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Because Intel makes inferior processors and the potential of the PowerPC architecture outways any present temperary shortcomings.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2002, 09:08 AM

The reason apple will lose bigtime if they port os x is that it may actually run better in intel machines! Anyway, the only way this can happen is if intel buys apple. Now wont that be nice! Or imagine if MOT goes bust. What the heck can apple do in that case? Maybe apple should buy AMD, or even form an understanding. AMD will benefit from it and find a way out of all the armtwisting it gets from the wintel side. Just imagine if both of them put their heads together and came up with a OSX "Hammer" that runs on a 64 bit processor! wow that will just change everything for the better all at once. Maybe steve will anounce an alliance sooner than later. I would hate to see a winxp-IA/64 before apple gets there.

<small>[ 06-20-2002, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: amsalpemkcus ]</small>

Forum Links
Forum Rules