Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 'Retina' Macbook model in 2012?

'Retina' Macbook model in 2012?
ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2011, 09:03 AM

Apple to Launch 2880x1800 Resolution 'Retina Display' MacBook Pro in Q2 2012? - Mac Rumors

Latest from the grapevine is a 2880x1800 pixel display Macbook next year, nothing to say if its a MacBook Pro or the 15" MacBook Air. If this and the 2048x1536 pixel iPad 3 come through then they've got the display manufacturing issues sorted out. Lion has been building up support for this, with 3200x2000 desktop pictures and 1024 pixel icons. Ivy Bridge will support 4k resolution.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

P
Dec 14, 2011, 09:56 AM

I think it's likely that higher resolution displays will come from the smaller devices and moving up. I have a 27" iMac and a brand new 11" MBA, and I sit much closer to the 11". The 14" work laptop is somewhere inbetween.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2011, 10:51 AM

If its 15" then it'll be the Air and the Pro I would have thought.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2011, 01:13 PM

Bring it ON! I waited for the Hi-red display, but couldn't wait any longer. I doubt it will be cheap, though. Apple charges how much for the slightly higher-res option on the 15" MBP? $150? Expect this to cost even more.

But I would happily sell my just-purchased Feb 2011 MBP if they announced them today.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 01:28 PM

Finally, something to compete with a CRT.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
What?

ibook_steve
Dec 14, 2011, 03:18 PM

Hee hee.

Higher res is great, but where's our resolution independent OS that has been rumored for years?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Hee hee.

Higher res is great, but where's our resolution independent OS that has been rumored for years?
It's not going to happen, as should be obvious by now—for lack of resolution-independent applications.

Apple can't force developers to do the right thing (and especially can't provide backwards-compatibility for existing apps without having them look like shit), so double-or-nothing it is.

Looking forward to the retina displays.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
What?
Anything not the LCD's native resolution looks like sh*t. CRTs didn't have that problem.

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Hee hee.

Presumably with a high enough DPI, you don't really need the resolution independent OS anymore because you can finally set it to whatever resolution you're comfortable with without the problem noted above.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 05:36 PM

Olepigeon, you mean you think that a very high resolution display will fix the LCD shortcoming that non-native resolutions don't look the same quality as the native resolution? How does that improvement in resolution fix that problem? AFAIK one has nothing to do with the other. I will say though that non-native resolution quality on modern LCDs seems to look substantially better than it did on earlier ones.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2011, 05:45 PM

Higher res for same physical size = smaller pixels. Means you can double the pixels up and they still look as good as todays displays do.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Olepigeon, you mean you think that a very high resolution display will fix the LCD shortcoming that non-native resolutions don't look the same quality as the native resolution? How does that improvement in resolution fix that problem? AFAIK one has nothing to do with the other. I will say though that non-native resolution quality on modern LCDs seems to look substantially better than it did on earlier ones.
Not higher resolution (as in size), but higher density; more pixels per square inch. The Retina Display is supposedly a high enough PPI that that our eyes can't distinguish much (if any) detail beyond that density. So if I set the LCD to 800x600 and every other interpolated pixel is 5 pixels instead of 4, I'm not going to notice because they're packed in so tight. The difference in 1 pixel should be indiscernible.

Even on modern LCDs it is still painfully blurry and distorted on anything that isn't the native LCD resolution. Probably has to do with the panels getting larger, but companies reluctant to move past 1080p for some reason.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 06:23 PM

Anything not the LCD's native resolution looks like sh*t. CRTs didn't have that problem.
Retina displays technically don't fix that, but you may be right that the density is high enough that interpolation no longer looks like shit...

Zooming on an iPhone 4/s seems to suggest otherwise, though.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 06:36 PM

One can hope. I think it was Samsung or maybe Philips that came up with a flat CRT display, as in it was only 3" deep and could be wall mounted. They never released it.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 16, 2011, 05:01 PM

Kind of a silly idea don't you think?

I mean, it's dumb to see so many people all hunched over their displays to make out the little text, especially when you're supposed to sit back from the Macbook. I'm perfectly fine with having 72 dpi on my screen, but I want my portables to be 8 bit color!

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2012, 06:11 AM

Mac App store app updates are appearing with 'Retina graphics' - Retina-Ready Apps Begin to Appear in Apple's Mac App Store

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Mac App store app updates are appearing with 'Retina graphics' - Retina-Ready Apps Begin to Appear in Apple's Mac App Store
That means nothing more than some developer somewhere anticipating retina MacBook screens like the rumour sites or threads like this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules