Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Urgent Backup help needed...

Urgent Backup help needed...
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 07:47 AM

Ok, after my 18 gig MP3 file disaster last week, I really need some help to prevent further apocalypse...

I have begged stolen and borrowed a bit of the music back... about 11 Gigs worth, and I have about 3 gigs of work to 'back up'.

My machine goes in for repair tomorrow, and they can't guarantee the data so another back up session is needed...

My external hard drive is still lent to a friend who can't get it back to me in time, so I am stuck with my Combo drive, a CD-RW drive, and a pile of CD's.

No compression will be involoved (!)... So I'm after some advice as to which software to use reliability wise? I have copies of Toast, Backup, etc but don't know which road to go down...

Any opinions/experiences with a pocedure such as this?...

Any help appreciated...

Cheers,

Marc

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2003, 09:51 AM

Apparently, CarbonCopy Cloner is a great program for backups...I'd take a look at that if I were you...

Apr 16, 2003, 05:53 PM

CCC is good for doing the entire drive... but for an MP3 folder backup i'd use (and do use) a combo of Synk and Cronnix... both can be found on versiontracker and both are 100% free.

i started doing that after loosing 45GB of MP3 during a power outage. i was NOT PLEASED! especially since i had *just* finished my multiple week long ripping phase of the build-up. having to do it all over again was rather irksome...

subrosasupport
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by 010111:
CCC is good for doing the entire drive... but for an MP3 folder backup i'd use (and do use) a combo of Synk and Cronnix... both can be found on versiontracker and both are 100% free.

i started doing that after loosing 45GB of MP3 during a power outage. i was NOT PLEASED! especially since i had *just* finished my multiple week long ripping phase of the build-up. having to do it all over again was rather irksome...
You may also want to consider downloading a free copy of Tri-Backup (www.tri-edre.com). It has more features than most of the backup applications out there. It's not as easy to use as CCC, and the manual is not that great, but it's more flexible than most backup product I have seen.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by subrosasupport:
You may also want to consider downloading a free copy of Tri-Backup (www.tri-edre.com). It has more features than most of the backup applications out there. It's not as easy to use as CCC, and the manual is not that great, but it's more flexible than most backup product I have seen.
Was just about to recommed it. I just downlaoded it and I'm running it on a few directories and so far so good. You can shecdule syncing, and the level of backup. Runs quietly in the background.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Forum Links
Forum Rules