Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Proteus 4 Message View Themes

Proteus 4 Message View Themes
Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 11, 2004, 02:06 PM

If you like chatting but hate the boring, mundane chat displays of most chat clients, take a look at Proteus 4 and maybe these themes found on the Proteus Extras page.

FF9

FF7

Monkey Island

Pushpin

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 02:18 PM

Some really cool looking stuff there.
click one

Zimphire
Baninated
May 11, 2004, 02:29 PM

I like simpler looking "Themes"

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
May 11, 2004, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Yes I know...I saw you ask some people on the Adium forums for a custom Smooth Operator theme with the buddy pictures removed. Good for you. You've moved away from that dreadful Fire program.

That Smooth Operator theme does look nice though...really clean.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 11, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Yes I know...I saw you ask some people on the Adium forums for a custom Smooth Operator theme with the buddy pictures removed. Good for you. You've moved away from that dreadful Fire program.

Oh, I still think Fire is good. I just think Adium NOW is better. If Fire improves later on to get ahead of Adium, I'll be using that. I don't have any emotional attachments to software. Ahem.

I've just never liked Proteus. I dislike the GUI, and it has always been buggy on my computers. That, and the other options are FREE.

Indeed.

Holigen
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 06:59 PM

Although I am intrigued by the myriad of message view options available in Proteus, I tend to like Adium more for its interface, cost, and size.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Komisar
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 07:53 PM

I love the post it one.... so cool and clean but original! good stuff!

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 08:56 PM

'Hood always told me he was my spunky monkey

Zimphire
Baninated
May 11, 2004, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Holigen:
Although I am intrigued by the myriad of message view options available in Proteus, I tend to like Adium more for its interface, cost, and size.
Same here, the interface is what sold me.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 10:21 PM

pushpin is very cool. using it now.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2004, 10:27 PM

protues has a much more polished webkit view at the minute, shame to see adium lagging behind both proteus and colloquy in this area

ender2002
Senior User
May 11, 2004, 10:31 PM

I think Adium is up there. The "Smooth Operator" in Adium feels a lot more polished than in Proteus.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 11, 2004, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
protues has a much more polished webkit view at the minute, shame to see adium lagging behind both proteus and colloquy in this area
Whens the last time you used Adium?

The potential is there.

I wouldn't want gaudy themes like above.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 11:36 PM

WebKit is WebKit, there's not much of a difference in what's possible... and Adium's not done working out all the kinks in what they want to allow.

The theme community for Proteus wants those themes, and from what I've seen and heard, the Adium community doesn't.

Personal Pref.

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
May 12, 2004, 08:47 AM

Proteus 4 already offers simple webkit themes as default. But new and more original ones are coming out. It's the best of both worlds, I think.

The thing that bothers me with Adium is that everyone is just taking the Smooth Operator theme and changing it slightly (background picture or removing buddy pictures) and calling it a brand new theme. There's very little originality on the Adium front when it comes to webkit themes.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; May 12, 2004 at 08:53 AM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
May 12, 2004, 10:42 AM

Proteus 4 already offers simple webkit themes as default. But new and more original ones are coming out. It's the best of both worlds, I think.

But if the themes are ugly.. who cares?

The thing that bothers me with Adium is that everyone is just taking the Smooth Operator theme and changing it slightly (background picture or removing buddy pictures) and calling it a brand new theme.

I don't think anyone is calling it a brand new theme. I believe that option will be in the new version. the one people are using now is just temp I believe.

There's very little originality on the Adium front when it comes to webkit themes.
If originality = sucky themes like that above. Proteus can keep them. There are TONS of options in Adium when it comes to this. None that tacky.

Plus Adium GUI is far more customizable than Proteus's. And it's free.

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
May 12, 2004, 10:54 AM

But if the themes are ugly.. who cares?
[/b]
I don't think anyone is calling it a brand new theme. I believe that option will be in the new version. the one people are using now is just temp I believe.

If originality = sucky themes like that above. Proteus can keep them. There are TONS of options in Adium when it comes to this. None that tacky.

Plus Adium GUI is far more customizable than Proteus's. And it's free. [/B]
AFAICT, Proteus has almost all of Adium's good themes + more.

Haha...yeah, that Pushpin theme is pretty 'tacky'. LOL. You got a sense of humor Zimphy.

The really good Proteus themes, IMO, are:

White Bubbling
Smooth Operator
Synapse
Renaissance

The novelty themes are:
Pushpin
Monkey Island

And the theme based on actual game graphics are:
FF7
FF9

Tell me, Zimphy, what good themes does Adium have?

I'd try to take another look but the Adium forums and the Xtras page are down.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 12, 2004, 11:10 AM

AFAICT, Proteus has almost all of Adium's good themes + more.

I am speaking of the GUI itself. The contact list. Proteus isn't nearly as customizable. Even in this thread.

http://www.proteusx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4857

You have a Proteus user whining about how Proteus "Is just as cool"

But there are TONS of things I can do with Adium's GUI that I couldn't with Proteus. That is the very reason I switched over to it, and dropped Fire.

Haha...yeah, that Pushpin theme is pretty 'tacky'. LOL. You got a sense of humor Zimphy.

Tell me, Zimphy, what good themes does Adium have?

Well it has Smooth Operator (Originally before Proteus) And a TON of other "simple" TASTEFUL options a long with it. There are also people as we speak making more. And guess what! I don't have to pay a dime. Not that it matters how many "GUI kits" Adium has. More doesn't = Better. Esp when the ones I have seen really stink for Proteus.

Proteus has more "GUI KITS" but most are ugly. Adium has the ability to make any GUI kit it wants to. AND the actual chat list is more customizable.

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
May 12, 2004, 11:51 AM

I am speaking of the GUI itself. The contact list. Proteus isn't nearly as customizable. Even in this thread.

http://www.proteusx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4857

You have a Proteus user whining about how Proteus "Is just as cool"

But there are TONS of things I can do with Adium's GUI that I couldn't with Proteus. That is the very reason I switched over to it, and dropped Fire.
Whoa there...you've got priorities all wrong. Proteus is much more customizable when it comes to *useful* features. You can show or hide buddy pictures from the contact list, show or hide status text, show or hide groups, show or hide offline users, show or hide status icon, show or hide service icon.

I couldn't care less about hiding the actual window and having transparent backgrounds with rounded edged contact listings so that it looks like they're magically floating in thin air on my screen.

Well it has Smooth Operator (Originally before Proteus) And a TON of other "simple" TASTEFUL options a long with it. There are also people as we speak making more. And guess what! I don't have to pay a dime. Not that it matters how many "GUI kits" Adium has. More doesn't = Better. Esp when the ones I have seen really stink for Proteus.

Proteus has more "GUI KITS" but most are ugly. Adium has the ability to make any GUI kit it wants to. AND the actual chat list is more customizable.
Haha...yuo=teh funny.

BTW, are you always this cheap when it comes to software? Why aren't you using Linux?

underwood
Forum Regular
May 12, 2004, 11:54 AM

the reason proteus has "ugly" message themes is because they are made by the people who use them. they made it for their personal use. the author just decided to share it with the community. some of the authors aren't professionals, so their work might not agree with your classy taste.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 12, 2004, 12:09 PM

Whoa there...you've got priorities all wrong. Proteus is much more customizable when it comes to *useful* features. You can show or hide buddy pictures from the contact list, show or hide status text, show or hide groups, show or hide offline users, show or hide status icon, show or hide service icon.

That isn't customizable. That's just showing and hiding.

I couldn't care less about hiding the actual window and having transparent backgrounds with rounded edged contact listings so that it looks like they're magically floating in thin air on my screen.
Well see, I do care. And that is what sold me, and many other people to Adium. Simple, out of the way layout. That is why I switched. Proteus doesn't have this. And if it were to TRY to, it would look like a total copy of Adium. And it would be embarrassing for them.

BTW, are you always this cheap when it comes to software? Why aren't you using Linux?
Nope, not all software. Proteus isn't worth my money.

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
May 12, 2004, 12:15 PM

That isn't customizable. That's just showing and hiding.
[/b] Well see, I do care. And that is what sold me, and many other people to Adium. Simple, out of the way layout. That is why I switched. Proteus doesn't have this. And if it were to TRY to, it would look like a total copy of Adium. And it would be embarrassing for them.
[/B]
Thankfully, I don't think the Proteus developer wants to add such as gaudy, tasteless feature.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 12, 2004, 12:32 PM

Thankfully, I don't think the Proteus developer wants to add such as gaudy, tasteless feature.
Boy that was classic.

Esp after looking up at the above screenshots.

*wipes tear from eyes*

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
May 12, 2004, 12:38 PM

Boy that was classic.

Esp after looking up at the above screenshots.

*wipes tear from eyes*
Are you crying because you have been defeated? **** happens.

That said...Proteus also offers typing notifications. So I'm not too sure why ender is saying that Smooth Operator is better in Adium than Proteus.

foad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2004, 01:20 PM

RELAX GUYS!

Look, it is a waste of time to try and prove each other wrong. You each have your own preferences and you will still to them. You will use the program that you mostly see fit to your needs and your opinion.

Talking s**t to the other person won't change that persons opinion of the application that they use. Use what you like and let it be.
Work: Defaultmind || Play: Apple-Is

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
May 12, 2004, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by foad:
RELAX GUYS!

Look, it is a waste of time to try and prove each other wrong. You each have your own preferences and you will still to them. You will use the program that you mostly see fit to your needs and your opinion.

Talking s**t to the other person won't change that persons opinion of the application that they use. Use what you like and let it be.
Haha...that won't work with Zimphy. You're wasting *your* time. Anyways...I've grown used to Zimphy thread-crapping.

I post something about Proteus and he stop himself from posting something about Fire or, now, Adium.

This thread was about moving away from simple and normal themes. I was showing interesting themes and Zimphire had to derail the thread into an interface war (which is purely opinions like you said).

Anyways...I hope some of these themes sparked some people's interest with these themes (obviously not everyone because there are people that like simpler themes)

Zimphire
Baninated
May 12, 2004, 03:05 PM

Are you crying because you have been defeated? **** happens.

Defeated? you was playing a game? You don't have to be a Proteus shill ya know. I was just pointing out the humor in your statement.

That said...Proteus also offers typing notifications. So I'm not too sure why ender is saying that Smooth Operator is better in Adium than Proteus.
What does that have to do with my post?

Zimphire
Baninated
May 12, 2004, 03:09 PM

Haha...that won't work with Zimphy. You're wasting *your* time. Anyways...I've grown used to Zimphy thread-crapping.

Horsepoo!!! I wasn't the one that that was such a Proteus shill and COULDN'T stand the thought of someone using something else other than it. First you gave me hell for being a Fire user. Now you are giving me hell for being a Adium user.

Get it through your skull, some people just don't like Proteus. And don't think it's worth the money.

I post something about Proteus and he stop himself from posting something about Fire or, now, Adium.

This thread was about moving away from simple and normal themes. I was showing interesting themes and Zimphire had to derail the thread into an interface war (which is purely opinions like you said).
Read my first post genius. I said nothing about Adium. I just said I like SIMPLER themes. I posted a theme that comes with BOTH clients. YOU were the one that started the comparison. The post right below mine.

You always do this. YOU were the one to bring up Adium. And you STILL can't let go about me using Fire still to this day. Why do you care what others use?

I can bring up paste threads of you doing this over the past 2 years if you'd like.

Dave-o�
Senior User
May 12, 2004, 03:16 PM

I for one would like to see cleaner, simpler, tighter themes brought to Proteus myself.. Being in a work environment it is more 'professional' when a message pops-up and your boss happens to be in your office at the same time.. Thank goodness he isn't in here right now for this post

Zimphire
Baninated
May 12, 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by foad:
RELAX GUYS!

I am not trying to change Horsepoo's opinion. He seems insistent on changing mine though. Even when I used Fire. I could care less what he uses.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2004, 03:26 PM

I have grown fond of the first iChat look-alike messageview for Proteus there was. Not the one you can download on the Extras site but one from the forums.

I chose Proteus after having tried Adium which was so dull imho. I want and need eyecandy :LOL: And Proteus gives me that aswell as giving me other options in a presentable manner. I kinda flamed Proteus earlier.. oh well.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 05:13 PM

I find Adium and Proteus pretty much on par, but I use Proteus because it's a bit less cutesy than Adium (I hate the stupid squawking bird icon) and has a cleaner UI. Both of them have the same annoying URL wrapping problem from webkit that pisses me off though.

zen jihad
May 12, 2004, 05:17 PM

I just keep going back to Proteus, it works fine and I don't need to dig down a million thigns to set it up. Adium is powerful, but it never feels quite solid enough, despite all the config variations.

fireside
Professional Poster
May 12, 2004, 05:27 PM

That said...Proteus also offers typing notifications.
so does Adium.

Tarambana
Forum Regular
May 12, 2004, 05:27 PM

I have to agree. I have just bought Proteus because Adium was giving me some problems and I have had none with Proteus. Also, though this is nothing but my most humble opinion, I find it cleaner; albeit I must admit it lacks many of the customization options that Adium has.

In the end, it all just comes down to your own liking. Try them both, and see which one suits you best!

Regards.

Tara.

Holigen
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
I find Adium and Proteus pretty much on par, but I use Proteus because it's a bit less cutesy than Adium (I hate the stupid squawking bird icon) and has a cleaner UI. Both of them have the same annoying URL wrapping problem from webkit that pisses me off though.
Sorry, but I find Proteus's UI to be so much more annoying and distracting than Adium's... Care to elaborate?

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2004, 06:25 PM

Would it be easy to "port" those theme to Adium? I always loved the the FF9 Text Style and now we can have it in an Instant Messaging app that�s so cool
I think I will try to make such a theme for Adium tomorrow, if someone wants to help me please send me a pm

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
May 12, 2004, 06:37 PM

Sorry, but I find Proteus's UI to be so much more annoying and distracting than Adium's... Care to elaborate?
Frankly, I think Proteus is the IM that best follows Apple HIG. Not that Apple's HIG is the end all but the developers have really put some thought into it. Menus are simple and clean. Preferences are simple and clean. Toolbars.

Proteus is very customizable...has always been. I can see how the default might be annoying and distracting to some, but you can make as simple or as distracting as you want.

COBRAHQ
May 12, 2004, 07:14 PM

Y'know, both Proteus and Adium are equally usable and
stylish. I had used Adium on and off for the past while
and I was never really taken by it.

I popped Proteus onto my system, and it has stuck...
It's very similar in features, although the lack of that
transparent window feature is unfortunate.

I just found that Proteus gets run more often than I
ever ran Adium... something about the style in it
that kept me interested I suppose. Also, I'm a
sucker for anything that has a FF3 chat theme. ^^

Both good apps, sometimes it's that first time you
run it that influences your decision.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 12, 2004, 07:17 PM

I could never get Proteus to not crash.

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
May 12, 2004, 07:41 PM

I could never get Proteus to not crash.
Is there a place on MacNN where you don't post? I'd like to post there so that you won't be around to derail it. Stop talking about things other than message views or I'm telling your mommy on you.

Tarambana
Forum Regular
May 12, 2004, 07:53 PM

Hi, COBRAHQ!

I don't know if this exactly what you want, but you can make the buddy list transparent (preferences-->Interface-->Use custom colors) - Don't know if it will help�

Regards.

Tara.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2004, 08:01 PM

The main things I love about adium are the tabs and contact list. The tabs are SO convenient... Having all my messages within one window, and being able to navigate them using the keyboard. I often try to use the adium keyboard commands when I have a bunch of tabs in safari, and I'm reminded how useful adium's tabs are each time. And the contact list is just great... You can make it so minimalistic, and it'll match any theme, and any desktop picture. And according to Apple's spelling dictionary, minimalistic isn't a word. WTF iz ^ w/ tht?

fireside
Professional Poster
May 12, 2004, 08:47 PM

Is there a place on MacNN where you don't post? I'd like to post there so that you won't be around to derail it. Stop talking about things other than message views or I'm telling your mommy on you.
yea he doesnt post here.

COBRAHQ
May 12, 2004, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Tarambana:
Hi, COBRAHQ!

I don't know if this exactly what you want, but you can make the buddy list transparent (preferences-->Interface-->Use custom colors) - Don't know if it will help�

Regards.

Tara.
Holy crap you're right... why didn't I notice that before!

Well then... aside from the window being visible... I'm now fully content with
Proteus.

thank you thank you

Holigen
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 09:02 PM

Frankly, I think Proteus is the IM that best follows Apple HIG. Not that Apple's HIG is the end all but the developers have really put some thought into it. Menus are simple and clean. Preferences are simple and clean. Toolbars.

Proteus is very customizable...has always been. I can see how the default might be annoying and distracting to some, but you can make as simple or as distracting as you want.
Im not too sure... I remember seeing somewhere talk about how the selection gradient on the contact list is only to be used when selecting folders and volumes. Maybe I dont know much about Proteus but I havent been able to customize the contact list much. I cant move around groups as I can in Adium, I cant make it any smaller, etc. I have a lot of buddies so it would be useful to be able to do this kind of thing.

Horsepoo!!!  (op)
Banned
May 12, 2004, 09:27 PM

Im not too sure... I remember seeing somewhere talk about how the selection gradient on the contact list is only to be used when selecting folders and volumes. Maybe I dont know much about Proteus but I havent been able to customize the contact list much. I cant move around groups as I can in Adium, I cant make it any smaller, etc. I have a lot of buddies so it would be useful to be able to do this kind of thing.
Actually yeah...that's a big no-no on the developer's part. Selection gradient should be used for source lists only. Source lists have items that, when selected, change the content of the pane. It's used correctly in the Message Center's drawer in Proteus since it clicking on a contact changes the context of the Message Center window but it's used incorrectly in the Contact list window since clicking on a contact doesn't change anything.

The Finder's sidebar is a source list. The iTunes libraries/playlists are sources. Safari's bookmark collections are sources. Mail's drawer should technically be a source list but not all Apple apps are updated equally.

If you hide the contact picture and change the font size for the contact list, you can make it pretty small...not as small as Adium lets you though.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 12, 2004, 10:05 PM

Other people weren't just talking about message views Horsepoo. You filling the thread with crybabying doesn't help the derailing.

Holigen
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 10:20 AM

Actually yeah...that's a big no-no on the developer's part. Selection gradient should be used for source lists only. Source lists have items that, when selected, change the content of the pane. It's used correctly in the Message Center's drawer in Proteus since it clicking on a contact changes the context of the Message Center window but it's used incorrectly in the Contact list window since clicking on a contact doesn't change anything.

The Finder's sidebar is a source list. The iTunes libraries/playlists are sources. Safari's bookmark collections are sources. Mail's drawer should technically be a source list but not all Apple apps are updated equally.

If you hide the contact picture and change the font size for the contact list, you can make it pretty small...not as small as Adium lets you though.
Ya, thats what I thought.

Oh, yeah. I see that now. Cool, but sorry, Im still sticking with Adium because Im too lazy to put in all of my aliases again. If I find a cool message view though, I might switch.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 13, 2004, 10:45 AM

Ya, thats what I thought.

Oh, yeah. I see that now. Cool, but sorry, Im still sticking with Adium because Im too lazy to put in all of my aliases again. If I find a cool message view though, I might switch.
Any message view that works in Proteus should work in Adium as well. They both use webkit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules