Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > McDonalds Sold out

McDonalds Sold out
fxbezak
Senior User
Location: mysql> CREATE TABLE bar (m INT) SELECT beer FROM tap;
Jun 23, 2004, 12:33 PM

Im very upset with the Lack of Super Sizing. Just cause some hippy Vegan(Level 5) makes some stupid movie with his camcorder about how fat he got engorging himself with Big Macs....

If you got into a Fast Food place and expect to eat a nutirtious meal rather a calroie loaded one, then you just need to be shot or moved into the darwin awards que.

I order Supersized stuff cause i know its going to take time off my lifespan, hell its probably worse than smoking.

McDonalds totally sold out IMHO
The Desires of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity.
http://www.unixtree.net

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 12:59 PM

are you like 6?
snappy

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 23, 2004, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:
are you like 6?
Apparently. Or maybe twice that age.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 23, 2004, 01:07 PM

I say instead of forcing McDonalds to make their meals smaller, we encourage them to make them BETTER.

I actually ate at McDonalds the other day for the first time in years.

Their Chicken nuggets actually ARE better than they used to be. No more rubbery dark meat.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2004, 01:10 PM

( Last edited by Adam Betts; Jun 23, 2004 at 01:22 PM. )

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 01:13 PM

yeah I'm going to miss the supersize too. I fall in the catagory of no where near fat or unhealthy. I could probably eat 6 large meals a day and not gain more than 2 pounds in a month at that rate of consumption.

Cipher13
Jun 23, 2004, 01:15 PM

Just on the whole Supersize Me thing... the guy is a ****ing idiot, and I'd have had no sympathy for him regardless of how sick he got. Moron.

I agree with fxbezak

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2004, 01:17 PM

I don't think they're being forced to make their meals smaller. McDonald's is responding to declining revenues and growth. People don't eat there anymore because it's so unhealthy. That's not the fault of consumers; McDonald's needs to improve their menu if they want to return to growth within the US.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 23, 2004, 01:20 PM

I agree. Fat people cannot blame thier stupidity on McDonalds. Nobody is forcing anybody to eat there.

So what if McDonalds has a ExtraSuperSize 2 Lbs fries ? Are they forcing anybody to buy it ?

People should stop blaming others for their own failures.

If McDonalds is forthcoming in their info about what exactly is in their food (calories etc.), then I see no problem whatsoever.

I smoke, and I know it is pretty dumb, but hey it's my own choice and I don't blame anybody else for that. Apparently fat people are not responsible nor capable of making intelligent decisions, so they need censorship inorder to keep them from getting fat. Go figure.

Cipher13
Jun 23, 2004, 01:24 PM

Indeed.

Nobody forces you to eat at McDonalds, so only hold yourself responsible. Even then, nobody's forcing to you to go large, let alone "supersize".

Fools.

Anybody that walks into McDonalds expecting a nutritious meal is an idiot, and should probably die for the good of the species. I walk into McDonalds and get something to eat as a stopgap. I'm no longer hungry, so my goal has been achieved. I don't LIVE off the stuff.

I eat a lot of unhealthy food, but I also eat a lot of healthy stuff. I'm still well under the average weight for my height.

I'm quite sure if a person lived solely off the finest steak in the world, for an entire month, he'd be pretty sick afterwards too

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 01:24 PM

Huh...I can still get SuperSize where I live. I had heard that they were stopping it, which is why I thought it was strange when they still had it on the menu.

Anyway, I agree that McDonald's needs to change the quality, not the quantity.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 23, 2004, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Indeed.

Nobody forces you to eat at McDonalds, so only hold yourself responsible. Even then, nobody's forcing to you to go large, let alone "supersize".

Fools.

Anybody that walks into McDonalds expecting a nutritious meal is an idiot, and should probably die for the good of the species. I walk into McDonalds and get something to eat as a stopgap. I'm no longer hungry, so my goal has been achieved. I don't LIVE off the stuff.
Exactly. That's why people are starting to avoid McDonald's these days. McDonald's is trying to reverse the trend. Fools eat at McDonald's, but even fools are realizing how bad for you it is.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2004, 01:38 PM

I think the relevant point is that McDonald's is changing their menu due to market pressure, not regulation. In other words, they're selling a product people don't want and their revenues are declining, so they're making changes in order to be more competitive. Get over it.

That said, I agree that McDonald's has a right to serve whatever they want. No problem there. People also have a right not to buy it. It would be nice if the food industry as a whole seemed a little bit more concerned with nutrition and a little bit less concerned with profits... or maybe stopped seeing those as mutually exclusive.
( Last edited by itai195; Jun 23, 2004 at 02:09 PM. )

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Anybody that walks into McDonalds expecting a nutritious meal is an idiot, and should probably die for the good of the species.
Amen.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2004, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
I think the relevant point is that McDonald's is changing their menu due to market pressure, not regulation.
This is the key point. Quit bitching about "the hippies" or regulations or the government.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2004, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by fxbezak:
<snip>

I order Supersized stuff cause i know its going to take time off my lifespan, hell its probably worse than smoking.

McDonalds totally sold out IMHO
Is life that hard?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 02:08 PM

Nobody forced him to eat a bunch of McDonalds, nobody forces anyone to, nobody forced McD's to stop super sizing. If it bothers you write them a letter.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 05:28 PM

Supersize is still available over here. I talked to one of the drive-through attendants, and he said they were simply renaming it, or something.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2004, 05:38 PM

The Hamburglar says "Don't Hate The Player, Hate The Game."

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 05:45 PM

I like supersizing... wait I dont eat at McDonalds that much any more. When is the next Monopoly game?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 05:50 PM

fxbezak, how fat are you?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2004, 06:23 PM

I'd like a Big Mac, Fries, and a +1 to go.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by starman:
I'd like a Big Mac, Fries, and a +1 to go.
I'd like a Big Mac, SuperSize Fries, 2 20-piece chicken nuggets, and a couple Apple Pies.

Oh, and a Diet Coke.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 06:30 PM

Enough about McDonalds! Lets go to Subway! When I buy a sub there, I can get stamps to save up for a free sub.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 07:15 PM

The McD's I go to still asks me if I want to super-size.

Originally posted by demograph68:
Enough about McDonalds! Lets go to Subway! When I buy a sub there, I can get stamps to save up for a free sub.
If you haven't yet, you should try Quizno's. It's good stuff

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2004, 08:14 PM

Part of the problem (again from vegetarians, thanks) is that most fast food places are using homogenized corn oil for their frying instead of animal lard. Homogenized anything is a poison. Litteraly. It mostly causes heart disease. It doesn't make the food any better, just allows it to be stored longer.

If fast food places would move back to non-homogenized oils and fats, they actually would be a lot less unhealthy... if not hitting part for what actually is considered healthy (or at least, not unhealthy.)

Anyway, McDonald's is absolutely disgusting. Homogenized or not, that sh*t can't be good for you.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 08:22 PM

McDonalds market share and quarterly profits are dying... THAT is the main reason they are removing super sized. They are trying to appeal to health conscious people... call it selling out if you want. It is why they changed the nuggets, it is why they have so many salads, it is why they are changing the fat in the deep fryer, etc.

This is no different than when, years ago, Kentucky Fried Chicken changed their name to KFC to remove the word fried from the name!

Like it or lump it, people are becoming more health conscious. Here in Canada Subway, Quiznos, and Tim Hortons are killing McDonalds. The general public is making a choice, and that choice is to eat where they think it is healthier. McDonalds is responding to that choice.

Incidently, you can be rail thin but have so much fat in your arteries that you are days away from a myocardial infarction.

Cheers!

James

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2004, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Part of the problem (again from vegetarians, thanks) is that most fast food places are using homogenized corn oil for their frying instead of animal lard. Homogenized anything is a poison. Litteraly. It mostly causes heart disease. It doesn't make the food any better, just allows it to be stored longer.

If fast food places would move back to non-homogenized oils and fats, they actually would be a lot less unhealthy... if not hitting part for what actually is considered healthy (or at least, not unhealthy.)

Anyway, McDonald's is absolutely disgusting. Homogenized or not, that sh*t can't be good for you.
Uh, get your terminology right. It's hydrogenized. Partial hydrogenation creates trans fats, which have been linked to many health problems. They were using animal-derived oils or fats before, but in addition to being a problem for vegetarians they're also high in saturated fats. So it comes down to which is worse, trans fats or saturated fats. I'm no expert, but I don't think it's so clear that trans fats are that much worse.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2004, 08:35 PM

What really gets me is the perverted, ass-backwards thread title:

McDonald's, by definition of the term in its here-intended usage, CANNOT "sell out" to anybody.

McDonald's is the sort of enterprise that others sell out TO, as in, give their soul in exchange for a chance to make lots of moolah.

McDonald's panders to its customers.

Nobody else.

-s*

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 08:43 PM

chick-fil-a fo' eva'.

sambeau
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Their Chicken nuggets actually ARE better than they used to be. No more rubbery dark meat.
Fast food customer: "This chicken is rubbery!"
Racist stereotype: "Arr.. fanku wery much"

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 08:49 PM

I like McDonalds, so do my kids. I couldn't eat the whole supersize thing anyway

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2004, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
chick-fil-a fo' eva'.
Not on Sunday

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2004, 09:13 PM

The stupidest thing about this weight loss fad is that it is just that, a fad. In another 5 years when it has blown over, the same people responsible for all this will be back to their usual American eating habbits and will be pissed off because they won't be able to order a Super Size meal when they go to McDonalds.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

jfinete
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2004, 09:35 PM

I like how most of you critizing the movie know nothing about it.

The film maker of "Supersize Me" doesn't hate McDonalds (he's said that Big Macs are his favorite), and it wasn't his plan to force them to drop supersize meals. He was inspired by the lawsuit that was filed (and later dismissed) against McDonalds. He wanted to examine if it was possible for someone to eat that much McDonalds, and not realize how unhealthy it was.

It was McDonalds that decided that being seen as a company that profited that making people fat and unhealthy was bad publicity, so they dropped the supersizes. It's a safe bet that after awhile, supersizes will be back.

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2004, 09:42 PM

I say instead of forcing McDonalds to make their meals smaller, we encourage them to make them BETTER.
If you don't like McDonald's food or services, don't go to McDonald's.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2004, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by jfinete:
It's a safe bet that after awhile, supersizes will be back.
They dropped the name Supersize and made all their sizes "bigger".

Supersize fries were like an ounce bigger than the new large.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

george68
Banned
Jun 23, 2004, 10:05 PM

I dislike fat people. I'm glad the super sizes are gone.... I hope they get rid of more crappy food so the fatties quit eating so damn much.

- Ca$h

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by george68:
I dislike fat people. I'm glad the super sizes are gone.... I hope they get rid of more crappy food so the fatties quit eating so damn much.

- Ca$h

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2004, 10:41 PM

all right! drunk internet time! here's to SWG and Cash. we need more intellectually devoid and pathetic peopele like them on the earth heres a round of drinks for you morons! all right! exclamation!!

One thread derailment pic is plenty, thanks all the same.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Jun 24, 2004 at 12:59 AM. )

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2004, 10:45 PM

mmm, Newcastle... heads to fridge... no beer... cries.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 10:51 PM

- Ca$h
Oh wait you forgot something, if they stop eating that much they wont die as soon.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2004, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Oh wait you forgot something, if they stop eating that much they wont die as soon.
So that makes it your right to tell them how to eat rather than give them the freedom to choose?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
So that makes it your right to tell them how to eat rather than give them the freedom to choose?
Me telling them how to eat? They can do what they want, I don't own MacDonalds

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 11:12 PM

I eat mcD's once or so a year... and need a shiteload of mints to settle my gut. But it can be good... just rarely.,

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2004, 11:27 PM

McDonald Land Cookies� is what I'm talking about...

george68
Banned
Jun 24, 2004, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
They can have their 'freedom to choose' when airline tickets start being based on how ****ing fat your ass is, clothes are CHEAPER in smaller sizes, and insurance is based heavily on what shape you're in.

- Rob

Cipher13
Jun 24, 2004, 12:45 AM

They can have their 'freedom to choose' when airline tickets start being based on how ****ing fat your ass is, clothes are CHEAPER in smaller sizes, and insurance is based heavily on what shape you're in.

- Rob
And what does that have to do with you?

Are YOU paying for their clothes? No.
Are YOU paying insurance premiums? No.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 24, 2004, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2004, 01:15 AM

Post of the week!

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules