Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Where to get good 1GB DIMMs?

Where to get good 1GB DIMMs?
boromir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2004, 11:01 AM

Hi all,
I going to buy a new PowerBook 17" 1.5Ghz.
I would like to max out its memory to 2GB, but Apple memory is pretty expensive.

What is the best online store to get 1GB DIMMs from?
Are they reliable like Apple modules?

Thanks!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2004, 11:18 AM

I've had good luck with Crucial. Cheaper then apple and so far they've been very reliable.

I'm going to purchase a 1 gig kit for my G5 (2x512) and they are about one hundred dollars cheaper then apple.

Mike

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2004, 12:32 PM

Check out http://www.newegg.com for some good prices. 1GB so-dimms will still be expensive, just not as much as Apple's.

boromir  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2004, 01:52 PM

It looks like some shops sell the same memory modules (low-power and low-heat) that Apple uses for PowerBooks.

http://www.18004memory.com/cart/addc...1&itemTYPE=cat
1GB 200 PIN DDR SO DIMM 333MHZ PC2700 SAMSUNG
SAMSSUNG ORIGINAL PART M470L2923BN0-CB3 COMPATIBLE WITH APPLE AND PC LAPTOPS
$319

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...=OWC27SAMSO1GB
Samsung Original DDR-SO Module.
1GB(1024MB) 200 Pin PC2700 DDR333 CL 2.5 SO-DIMM
Apple uses this same module for factory PowerBook G4 memory upgrades/installations. Only difference - we charge about HALF as much for the same 1GB!
$359.99

http://www.memoryx.net/apl200e1024.html
1GB Apple/Samsung OEM Low-Power PC2700 DDR SODIMM
* M9284G/A
* This the same module Apple uses in their all their PC2700 Notebooks. 100% Guaranteed under all situations.
$399.98

Can anyone check if newer PowerBooks from Apple really use these Samsung modules?

Thanks!

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2004, 02:57 PM

Newegg has Kingmax stuff for $247/gb for pc2700 and something like $238/gb if you have pc2100 (current ibook). Kingmax has always been a decent manuf in the PC market. I've had good experiences with their ram. There is also a member on this page that just bought one of these dimms and said he hasn't had any problems thus far... I believe he had a 15" PB. The thread is probably somewhere still on this page... title is something like "why are 1gb dimms so expensive" or something like that...

EDIT:

Here is the link to the above refrenced thread.

Here is the link to newegg and that pc2700 1gb dimm by kingmax.

BTW I have ordered in the neighborhood of 5 grand in parts through newegg including ram, processors, lcds, cases, hard disks, optical drives, etc... and never had 1 problem. Just thought I would mention that... service is pretty good..
( Last edited by wuzup101; Jul 5, 2004 at 03:03 PM. )

tvbi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2004, 03:33 PM

yup.. I got the 1GB Kingmax from newegg for my rev.C 12". been using it for a week now.. no problem, even did the hardware test and passed.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2004, 12:30 AM

Sounds good... I will be hopefully picking 1 of those stick up before I go back to school... of course I do have to get the PB first... still waiting for my student ADC membership to be verified!

boromir  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2004, 05:12 AM

Originally posted by tvbi:
yup.. I got the 1GB Kingmax from newegg for my rev.C 12". been using it for a week now.. no problem, even did the hardware test and passed.
Do you know if the Kingmax module is low-power and low-heat?

It looks like the Samsung module has those features, like the original Apple modules.

What are the disadvantages of getting a normal module instead and installing it in the PowerBook?

Thanks!

tvbi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2004, 01:29 PM

It doesn't say on Newegg website, but I checked both Kingmax and Samsung website and both have the same spec.

Power supply: VDD: 2.5V� 0.2V, VDDQ: 2.5V � 0.2V

I guess low-power and low-heat "feature" is compared to desktop memory

ProtoDAda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2004, 03:32 PM

It doesn't say on Newegg website, but I checked both Kingmax and Samsung website and both have the same spec.

Power supply: VDD: 2.5V� 0.2V, VDDQ: 2.5V � 0.2V

I guess low-power and low-heat "feature" is compared to desktop memory
has anyone used 18004memory.com? i am thinking about buying 1gb samsung original from them as i think it's the cheapest there.... $325. i bought rams from macsolutions before and i really like them but they are $389 for same samsung ram.... any suggestions? thank you and have a super day!

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2004, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by boromir:
Can anyone check if newer PowerBooks from Apple really use these Samsung modules?
No, but I can tell you a few things...

I have had 2 PowerMacs and 2 Powerbooks. I maxxed all of them w/ 3rd party memory, and they all worked perfectly.

I have 2 good friends who are Apple designers. Check this out - even their department doesn't use Apple memory. Their reason - "It's too expensive". So they purchase 3rd party memory from datamem.com (and others).

Buy the good old generic memory and save yourself some money.

ProtoDAda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2004, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
No, but I can tell you a few things...

I have had 2 PowerMacs and 2 Powerbooks. I maxxed all of them w/ 3rd party memory, and they all worked perfectly.

I have 2 good friends who are Apple designers. Check this out - even their department doesn't use Apple memory. Their reason - "It's too expensive". So they purchase 3rd party memory from datamem.com (and others).

Buy the good old generic memory and save yourself some money.
1800memory place didn't have 1gb samsung ram in stock. so i ordered one from datamem.com for 359. will let you know how it works out.... so excited...

neilio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2004, 02:48 AM

Go for the OWC ram - I've used a bunch of the 1G sticks in a various number of aluminum powebooks with zero problems.
Cocoatech Design / Marketing
Try Path Finder, the integrated, powerful file browser for Mac OS X for free!
http://www.cocoatech.com/pf.php

boromir  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2004, 04:00 AM

Originally posted by neilio:
Go for the OWC ram - I've used a bunch of the 1G sticks in a various number of aluminum powebooks with zero problems.
Do you mean the Samsung DIMM or the no-brand one?

Thanks.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 10:45 AM

tvbi (or anyone else): What is the difference between "registered" and "unbuffered" RAM? The spec page on the NewEgg website says that the 1GB Kingmax stick is unbuffered. Is that a possible reason for the low price? Or a all SODIMM sticks unbuffered and not registered?

TIA for any explanations.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jul 8, 2004, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by escher:
tvbi (or anyone else): What is the difference between "registered" and "unbuffered" RAM? The spec page on the NewEgg website says that the 1GB Kingmax stick is unbuffered. Is that a possible reason for the low price? Or a all SODIMM sticks unbuffered and not registered?

TIA for any explanations.

Escher
I second this question. 1GB for $250 is a price I'd go for, if the registered/unbuffered is the same as stock Apple RAM.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

wnuez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2004, 01:09 PM

I have bought memory from MemoryX two times, one for my PB12 and the second one for my girlfriend's G5. Both times they were extremely fast in delivery and both memories have been working without any problems. I don't know if their prices are the best or not, for me they where great given the euro/dollar change at that moment.

w.

tvbi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2004, 01:11 PM

unbuffered RAM is no worse than buffered one (unbuffered, non-parity or non-ECC should be the same thing). Buffered RAM just have ECC (error checking code or something) and is usually used for server. All PB do shipped with unbuffered RAM, so I don't know if you can use an ECC RAM or not, just stick to non-ECC or unbuffered RAMas they are faster and cheaper.
( Last edited by tvbi; Jul 8, 2004 at 01:21 PM. )
Mac Pro: 2.66Ghz • ATI X1900 XT • 8 GB • 1TB • 10.5.1
Powerbook (12"): 1.33Ghz • 1.25GB • 100GB

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the prompt explanation, tvbi. I'll order my "cheap" 1GB stick from NewEgg without further ado.

Escher

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2004, 03:57 PM

Anyone use this company?

http://www.transintl.com/store/categ...m?Category=942

1 Gig mem is $319.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 11:18 PM

You can't use registered ram in a PB it's not designed for it. As stated above it's usually only put on higher end servers and such. You definitely want unbuffered ram for your PB.

On a sidenote... I don't think they even make registered laptop memory. IIRC it's only avaliable in a desktop/server flavor. For instance... some of the first AMD 64 motherboards were deisgned to be used with registered memory... as were many of the dual processor PC boards.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2004, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by urrl78:
Anyone use this company?

http://www.transintl.com/store/categ...m?Category=942
I've bought memory from them before. They were reliable and even exchanged a stick no questions asked after an Apple firmware update tightened the specs for RAM and disabled their formerly within-spec RAM. Couldn't ask for more.

But this time around, I'll be saving an additional $70 and going with the Kingmax RAM from NewEgg.

PS: Thanks, wuzup101, for confirming tvbi's info about unbuffered RAM. I appreciate the technical help.

Escher

cing2x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2004, 01:28 PM

Is there any reason to believe that the 1GB Kingmax from NewEgg woudn't work on a 15" 1.25Ghz AluBook, since people have said it works on a Rev. C 12"? The price is mighty tempting.
15" AlumiBook | 1.25Ghz | 512 | 80 | SD | Sweetness

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by cing2x:
Is there any reason to believe that the 1GB Kingmax from NewEgg woudn't work on a 15" 1.25Ghz AluBook, since people have said it works on a Rev. C 12"? The price is mighty tempting.
The best thing to do is to email the NewEgg company and ask if this ram had been fully tested and guaranteed to work in the Powerbook you are buying it for. Specs alone don't always tell the story. I was about the buy the Kingmax ram from Newegg because the price was tempting. I decided to go to memorystock.com and check out the ram there. They have the Kingmax ram there too. I emailed them and they assured me that the 1GB sticks they are selling have been fully tested and surpass Apple's finiky requirements. The 1GB modules at memorystock.com are $299.99 each. I bought 2 of them and have had no problems at all. The sticker on the modules has an Apple logo on it and says. "Tested on 1.5Ghz Powerbook" I have had no system freezes or kernel panics or wake up from sleep issues. Shipped the next day. Also 18004memory.com will buy back your old memory no questions asked even if you don't buy new ram from them.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

cing2x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2004, 07:24 PM

thanks hidan.

the problem with newegg is that they're so bare bones that they don't receive product questions. i emailed memorystock about the kingmax ram (using manufacturer product #) on the newegg site and they said it's not compatible with apple.

Tweak3D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2004, 12:32 AM

whats funny is that the memorystock chip is the same one as the newegg one. It only makes sense that it would not be compaitable because why would they want you to buy memmory from someone else?

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2004, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by Tweak3D:
whats funny is that the memorystock chip is the same one as the newegg one. It only makes sense that it would not be compaitable because why would they want you to buy memmory from someone else?
That may be true but I made my decision to buy my (2) 1GB sticks from memorystock.com because they were the only company that replied me back stating that they gurantee the ram they sell to work in the Powerbook flawlessly. The other 3rd party companies that replied me back said they were not sure and that I needed to call Apple to verify full compatibility of their ram with the Powerbooks.
That's ridiculous because Apple will recommend that I buy only the ram that Apple sells.
I would rather buy from an online company like memorystock.com since they actually could guarantee compatibility because they fully test the ram on the Powerbooks.
There's no way of knowing that memorystock and newegg's Kingmax ram is the same unless you buy both. If other posters are having good experience with Newegg's ram then go for it. I have nothing against Newegg, I just got a bit concerned because their 1GB sticks are so dirt cheap that I didn't want to get faulty un-tested ram.

For the record, I highly recommend to anyone that wants a great price with fast shipping and fully compatible 1GB sticks to buy them from memorystock.com. My Powerbook works flawlessly.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

boysss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2004, 07:21 AM

Hi guys.

I really need your helps right now. I've been searching for a good deal for a 512mb or 1gb ram stick for my rev C PB 12'' here (NEW ZEALAND). However, prices here are hell lots of money . Do you know any US website which ships overseas? Crucial does ship to NZ but the shipping fee is $40 . My budget is $120-130 USD incl shipping for a 512 Mb stick. Many thanks

cing2x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2004, 10:24 AM

when i emailed memorystock, i didn't mention anything about newegg. i just asked them if the kingmax ram they sold corresponded to the kingmax manufacturer's product number listed on the newegg site (w/o actually mentioning newegg at all). they said no. they sell two types of kingmax 1GB SODIMMs with the same specs. one compatible with apple. (http://www.memorystock.com/orderitem.asp?it=637ms-LH) and one not. (http://www.memorystock.com/orderitem.asp?it=637ms-637)

i'm not saying they're right, but it's enough to not make me want to be a guinea pig.

tvbi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2004, 05:59 PM

why don't Memory Stock list the manufacturer model number

and why I only see 1 type of the DDR 333 1GB SODIMM stick on Kingmax website Kingmax must be making a secret special "low heat Mac compatiple RAM" for Memory Stock only
( Last edited by tvbi; Jul 10, 2004 at 06:06 PM. )
Mac Pro: 2.66Ghz • ATI X1900 XT • 8 GB • 1TB • 10.5.1
Powerbook (12"): 1.33Ghz • 1.25GB • 100GB

wedgewood
Jul 11, 2004, 08:32 AM

Check out 1GB Samsung memory auction.
The price is $249 and $10 for shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
1.33 GHz 12" powerbook, 1.25GB

boromir  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2004, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by wedgewood:
Check out 1GB Samsung memory auction.
The price is $249 and $10 for shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
They look great!
Did anyone try those modules?

BTW, I went to the Apple Store website and noticed that they have two different memory modules for the 17in. 1.5G PB and the 1/1.33G ones:
PB 17in. 1.5Ghz
Apple Memory Module 1GB PC2700 DDR333 SO-DIMM
M9594G/A

PB 17in. 1Ghz & 1.33Ghz
Apple Memory Module 1GB PC2700 DDR333 SO-DIMM
M9284G/A
Not sure why, but I think they are all compatible.
Does anyone know the differences?

Anyway, the eBay module looks the exact one for the 1.5G PB! :-)

Thanks.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2004, 11:31 AM

So the newegg RAM is a no go? I was really thinking about getting it.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

OMGWTFBBQ
Jul 12, 2004, 02:30 PM

When I was big into putting PCs together, I used to just buy whatever was cheapest and it worked for awhile. But it only took one time of getting burnt by that until I switched to just always using Crucial for all memory (have never had an issue with it - in PCs).

When I got my PB (15" 1.25ghz AlBook), I had it with the default 512 and it was painful - so I wanted to upgrade to the full 2GB.
Crucial at the time stopped carrying the RAM for it because they were seeing too many problems/returns on it, and I had read lots of issues with other places.

So I ended up going with OWC and getting the Samsung - it was expensive, but still cheaper than direct from Apple, and it is the exact same thing.

Other than it being very hard to open the cover for the RAM, I have had no problems at all with it (although the PB does run a lot hotter now with the two 1GB chips in instead of the 2 256MB chips).

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2004, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by OMGWTFBBQ:
When I was big into putting PCs together, I used to just buy whatever was cheapest and it worked for awhile. But it only took one time of getting burnt by that until I switched to just always using Crucial for all memory (have never had an issue with it - in PCs).

When I got my PB (15" 1.25ghz AlBook), I had it with the default 512 and it was painful - so I wanted to upgrade to the full 2GB.
Crucial at the time stopped carrying the RAM for it because they were seeing too many problems/returns on it, and I had read lots of issues with other places.

So I ended up going with OWC and getting the Samsung - it was expensive, but still cheaper than direct from Apple, and it is the exact same thing.

Other than it being very hard to open the cover for the RAM, I have had no problems at all with it (although the PB does run a lot hotter now with the two 1GB chips in instead of the 2 256MB chips).

I totally agree about the heat. I thought it was just mine. Since upgrading to 2GB DDR on my 17" PB the fans come on quite a bit while just simply surfing. I thought maybe just the PM Unit needed resetting but after realizing that there more electronics running constantly because of the large amount of ram it causes the computer to get hot faster and this is low heat ram.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Forum Links
Forum Rules