Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Making the "switch"

Making the "switch"
geoffs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2004, 12:55 PM

I posted this at a different, much less active, mac forum. Hopefully I will get a better response here.

Hi, I have never owned a mac before but I have used them and from what I have seen I really like OSX and the new powerbooks. I currently have a dell inspiron 8500 but I want to ditch it in favor of a powerbook. I am looking for any input or info you guys might have, especially those that have been in my situation before.

My main issue with the dell is it is too big. I want a laptop computer, not a desktop replacement. I very seldom use my laptop at home so I don't need extreme performance. I don't play games or do any hardcore video/audio editing on my laptop. Mostly it would be a development machine so basically a word processor. For these reasons I was thinking of a 12" pbook but I am having a tough time finding reviews of the new 1.33ghz version. Earlier reviews I read of the 866 version noted that the LCD was pretty crappy and it got way to hot. Are these still issues? The 15" is also an option but I think it might be too big still.

Any help in what to expect, look out for, or reasons for going with the 15" over the 12" are appreciated. The other option is to hold onto the dell. I do like the 1920x1200 LCD a lot

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2004, 01:19 PM

If you're looking for portability and don't need graphics or processor horsepower, you might look into the ibooks- they have a reputation for being able to take more abuse, and the run a bit cheaper.

That said, I have an 867 powerbook and the screen is fine, infinitely better than a dell screen. Under load, the system does get hot, but it's only a problem if you want to play halo or something, in which case you'll want it plugged in and on a tabletop anyway. Playing music and coding, it's no hotter than any other laptop. In terms of size-it's perfect, a little smaller than a textbook. The keyboards are fantastic-I can definitely type faster on them than on anything else.

Also, I'd advise getting an airport card...wi-fi is one of the best techno-toys out there.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

mpbritt
Jul 12, 2004, 01:20 PM

geoffs, have you looked at the 14" iBook? It might suit your needs better than a PowerBook.

As to my personal experience, I recently purchased a new 15" 1.5Ghz PowerBook and I could not be happier with it. The screen gives me just the right amount of real estate it has plenty of power for what I do. It even allows me to play WarCraft III with everything set to High (something I was never able to do on my Pismo. In fact WC III was, to me, unplayable on the Pismo. But that is another story).

If you are truly not concerned about having a "desktop replacement" then I would suggest you compare the 12" PowerBook, the 14" iBook, and the 12" IBook.

raviruddarraju
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2004, 01:38 PM

When I look at a pb, I am looking at bluetooth, awesome keyboard, and, good enough processing power and cache sizes. I have been using a PB borrowed from my boss, and I think it is a robust design. Because it looks "expensive", I tend to be careful with it. Otherwise, I think it is very well designed.

- ravi

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 02:21 PM

I think the advice that you are getting from the other posters in terms of getting an iBook is a great idea based on your usage. Aside from asthetics the main thing to consider is how long you plan on keeping the computer. If you are not an "every year" upgrader on hardware then the Powerbook will be your best option due to it's having more power and overall features for longevity.

With Apple updating the operating system mid next year you will want the computer with the most capabilities to take advantage of what Tiger will offer.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

geoffs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2004, 02:21 PM

Well I am a vanity whore...I don't think I could live with the ibook for very long.

And by the time I get it configured like a powerbook (which is ideal for me) it would cost about 100$ less...which isn't a great price difference.

OMGWTFBBQ
Jul 12, 2004, 02:23 PM

I was a Mac hater for a long time. In fact, to be fair I still hate the same Macs that I hated in the past - older OSes and different hardware.
But I love OS X, and the entire current Mac hardware series is fairly impressive (I'll just pretend like I don't have the white spots on my current laptop ).

I have built many systems (I'd say over 30) that were PC based (technically probably about 10 Linux or FreeBSD machines), and I have had a few laptops - all XP (Sony Vaios and HP machines).

I currently am an admin on a Windows network and I maintain the hardware - including many laptops (all Dell and Sony Vaios).

I currently own a 15" AlBook PB - 1.25ghz processor and I upgraded it myself to 2GB of RAM. The resolution is lower than that of the Dell, as well as many other laptops that I have used. I quite enjoy a higher resolution (which this card can do if I hook it up to an external monitor), but with OS X I have found that I don't miss it as much. Perhaps it is a design usability thing?

That said, when I am working on design/drawing work on the laptop, that is why I most miss it - even then it isn't that bad at all.

I have used all 3 types of Powerbooks, and they all have the same size keyboard - that is what is so great about the 12" ones - you don't get a reduced keyboard size like you do with so many of the smaller laptops out there (Sony is quite bad about their keyboards shrinking with the overall size of the laptop).

Even though I was a Windows person, and I admin a Windows network currently - I now hate Windows compared to OS X. I wish more people used OS X, it would make my job as an admin a lot easier.

Have fun with your decision - my vote is the 12" PB

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by OMGWTFBBQ:
I was a Mac hater for a long time. In fact, to be fair I still hate the same Macs that I hated in the past - older OSes and different hardware.
But I love OS X, and the entire current Mac hardware series is fairly impressive (I'll just pretend like I don't have the white spots on my current laptop ).

I have built many systems (I'd say over 30) that were PC based (technically probably about 10 Linux or FreeBSD machines), and I have had a few laptops - all XP (Sony Vaios and HP machines).

I currently am an admin on a Windows network and I maintain the hardware - including many laptops (all Dell and Sony Vaios).

I currently own a 15" AlBook PB - 1.25ghz processor and I upgraded it myself to 2GB of RAM. The resolution is lower than that of the Dell, as well as many other laptops that I have used. I quite enjoy a higher resolution (which this card can do if I hook it up to an external monitor), but with OS X I have found that I don't miss it as much. Perhaps it is a design usability thing?

That said, when I am working on design/drawing work on the laptop, that is why I most miss it - even then it isn't that bad at all.

I have used all 3 types of Powerbooks, and they all have the same size keyboard - that is what is so great about the 12" ones - you don't get a reduced keyboard size like you do with so many of the smaller laptops out there (Sony is quite bad about their keyboards shrinking with the overall size of the laptop).

Even though I was a Windows person, and I admin a Windows network currently - I now hate Windows compared to OS X. I wish more people used OS X, it would make my job as an admin a lot easier.

Have fun with your decision - my vote is the 12" PB
I'm not too sure about your AppleCare plan, but Apple will replace your screen for you if you have the white spots problem!

OMGWTFBBQ
Jul 12, 2004, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
I'm not too sure about your AppleCare plan, but Apple will replace your screen for you if you have the white spots problem!
My Apple Care has long since run out (I got a phone call one day from Apple and they were asking how my laptop was doing, and eventually wanted me to extend my AppleCare. I said it was fine "except for those white spots" - the guy acted like I had just said "it is fine except for the black hole that has formed in the ethernet jack which is sucking everything around me into a vortex into which everything is crushed to a single point" - he claimed to have never heard of said "white spots"... I suppose this was still during their "deny everything" stage - don't know, it was a few months ago).

I live in Bermuda (no service centers here - there is one that claims to be, but they just mail it back anyway), and I use my laptop 16-20 hours a day and can't really get by without it for any period of time (sanity as well as financially)... so unfortunately I can't really get it fixed it would seem.

Fortunately they are just white spots and not (knock on wood) dead pixels - I can live with them

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2004, 05:34 PM

I currently own a 1.5Ghz 15" PB but was seriously considering a 12". The problem is that I couldn't afford an external cinema display, and as this was going to be a desktop replacement I needed at least a 15" display for layout design work. As much as I like my 15" I can't completely say I love it. However there is something extremely satisfying about the 12"

I wish that resolutions were slightly higher with the Powerbooks as someone else mentioned, but the resolution is actually fairly high I think for the 12". I also wouldn't call the screen "crappy"as it is sharp, but when you look at it next to a 15" or 17", it isn't as bright or remarkable. Under most circumstances and without comparison testing, it would probably be perfectly fine. Before the 1.5Ghz, I had a 1.25Ghz and when I got the 1.5Ghz, I thought that it was cooler. Not that I have gotten used to it, I still think it gets very warm, but most comments have been that the Rev C are cooler than previous. This Macworld review, (although its really a synopsis of features rather than a review) mentions that the new models, specifically the 12" is cooler: http://www.macworld.com/2004/05/reviews/g4powerbooks/

If you have an Apple Store around you I'd suggest checking the 12" and 15" out. The iBooks may also fit the bill, although you mentioned that your Dell was too big; the iBooks are both bigger and heavier than the Powerbooks.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by OMGWTFBBQ:
My Apple Care has long since run out (I got a phone call one day from Apple and they were asking how my laptop was doing, and eventually wanted me to extend my AppleCare. I said it was fine "except for those white spots" - the guy acted like I had just said "it is fine except for the black hole that has formed in the ethernet jack which is sucking everything around me into a vortex into which everything is crushed to a single point" - he claimed to have never heard of said "white spots"... I suppose this was still during their "deny everything" stage - don't know, it was a few months ago).

I live in Bermuda (no service centers here - there is one that claims to be, but they just mail it back anyway), and I use my laptop 16-20 hours a day and can't really get by without it for any period of time (sanity as well as financially)... so unfortunately I can't really get it fixed it would seem.

Fortunately they are just white spots and not (knock on wood) dead pixels - I can live with them
Ahh.. Sorry to hear about it. Well, at least you're not up in arms at Apple and sounds as though your Powerbook's working well enough for you.

geoffs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2004, 07:30 PM

Well I went to a local London Drugs (western Canada) store and checked out a 12" powerbook today. Very sweet, I played around on it for about 15 minutes and from what I saw I like it a lot. The keyboard IS awesome (as mentioned by others). Much more comfortable and solid than my dell. The screen looked fine to me, it was quick in responding to commands. Expose was smooth. Sound was a little lack luster, but overall I think I am in love.

How is the sound circuitry on the powerbooks? My dell has SPDIF out which is always a nice feature. When using the internal speakers on the dell I notice a lot of hiss. I couldn't hear it on the mac...but it was rather public. I know I can get an external soundcard for it, but I am hoping the sound is good out of the box.

OMGWTFBBQ
Jul 13, 2004, 07:42 AM

I should note that I am in no way an audiophile, so there are likely those that can say more about it than myself.
That said, I record my guitar work, listen to music, and watch DVDs on my 15" PB and the sound is phenomenal. The speakers on it aren't great, but hey - it is a laptop. That said, they are still better than any PC laptop that I have used in terms of sound quality.

The stereo (as well as line in), AFAIK is quite good - many audio pros use the PB for live shows and/or recording.

I frequently play out to headphones and the sound is great - the limiting factor there is going to be the headphones.

But like I said, I listen to mp3s and they are "good enough" for me - so I am certainly not an audiophile that can tell you exactly how good/bad something is with any specifics.
The fact that music pros use the PBs though should speak volumes for it I would imagine.

Altair
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2004, 10:14 AM

I am an entry level audiophile (i.e. cheap) and can tell you that the PB speakers are horrid and I never listen to them unless more than one person is watching something on it. However the headphone plug sounds amazing. My Sennheiser headphones sound better on my powerbook than they do on a sound blaster live. Also the pb has enough power to drive anything up to the sennheiser hd 600's. I'd recommend getting a pair of good headphones (hd 570's) and use those when you listen to music.

Also I was in a similar situation except my pc wasn't a laptop. I should warn you that the powerbook might become your main computer so don't go too cheap on the components inside. At least get the 5400 rpm hard drive upgrade if it's available.
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2004, 10:47 AM

As other has mentioned, no laptop speakers are going to sound phenomenal, although I find the 15" to be acceptable and the 12" has a third midrange speaker that the 15" has. I don't think they're quite as loud as my roommates Inspiron 8100, although I think they sound a little better. These should only really be used in emergency situations or powerpoint presentations however. I also have Sennheiser headphones (wireless) which I use with my PB and I also hook up my receiver as well and the sound is top-notch. I once bought an iMic which is an external analog USB adapter, and I really couldn't tell much of a difference. If you want the SPDIF output for watching movies hooked up to a 5.1 surround sound setup or if you have speakers or a receiver that have an optical digital in, there are USB audio adapters that would serve your function (a number by M-Audio come to mind). For most things however, the analog audio of the Powerbook is excellent and you shouldn't have any desire to use a digital interface unless you are hooking up to a digital device.

mpbritt
Jul 13, 2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by geoffs:
Well I am a vanity whore...I don't think I could live with the ibook for very long.
Ha! And what better reason to buy a PowerBook...?

Forum Links
Forum Rules