Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail.app's autofill on addresses? Is there a way to clean that out?

Mail.app's autofill on addresses? Is there a way to clean that out?
OMGWTFBBQ
Jul 13, 2004, 09:22 AM

When using Mail.app, I have it set to autofill.
As far as I understand it from what I have seen, when I send a new e-mail or reply to one, it recalls that addresses for future autofill reference.

It appears to do this outside of even what I have in the Address Book.

The issue I am having is that when I entered one address many months back (well over 6 months and probably closer to a year), I typed it incorrectly. It is a rather long address and I left out a letter.

I later went and fixed it, but when I type its association ("Dad" in this particular case), it brings up the wrong information for it (the misspelled address).

If I let it sit for a bit (one second, two?), then it seems to notice that I don't want that one and it looks for others - and then gives me a list of other potential matches - in which is the correct mapping to "Dad".

So even though in the address book it is now correctly mapped, and even though the only address I have sent it to over the past few months has been the correct one - it still tries to offer me the incorrect one each time I type in "Dad".

Is there a way I can get it to relearn whatever database it has created for that? Or does it exist in a user-editable file somewhere so that I could go in and remove the improper entry?

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2004, 09:55 AM

In Mail, under the window menu is "Previous Recipients" which opens a list of addresses that you have typed into the To: or Cc: fields at any point. You can select individual or multiple addresses and remove them from the list.

I don't know if this is what holds this info, but I suspect that it is.

OMGWTFBBQ  (op)
Jul 13, 2004, 12:25 PM

That did it, thanks!

(I feel stupid for not being able to find that on my own)

Forum Links
Forum Rules