Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Imaging older PowerBook to newer PowerBook?

Imaging older PowerBook to newer PowerBook?
Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2004, 07:10 PM

I have just received my PowerBook from its 4th repair. They still haven't really fixed the dark stains that appear at the top of the screen...but I'm going to see if the problem gets any worse before I call them AGAIN.

What I was wondering was whether or not anyone has tried to clone/image an older PowerBook to a newer PowerBook? My older PowerBook (Ti867) is as up-to-date as it can be, 10.3.4. The new PowerBook is a 17" 1.5 model. I'm too tired to re-insall all of my apps...when I have my other PowerBook pretty much setup the way I want!

Thanks!
_DH_
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 07:38 PM

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7032

That should do the trick. Start the new book in target disk mode and clone the "old" drive to it.

Hoops Coach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2004, 07:39 PM

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Dave, try this link. I have used this once and it did a good job. I install a new larger hard drive in a tower and wanted to move everything over. Of course, it copies "orphaned" files as well....but it might save you the time and hasssle of a fresh install of everything.

I have a buddy that is the IT guy at a local Gov school and he swears by it for simple ghosting....

Hope this helps!

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 08:34 AM

Carbon Copy Cloner is perfect for your need
this sig intentionally left blank

scoot
Jul 24, 2004, 06:21 PM

CCC is great, but you don't need it for this.

Hook up via Firewire.
Put the old machine in target mode.
Boot the new machine from your 10.3 cd (or the install dvd it ships with -whichever is newer).
Open Disk Utility. Now is a good time to check both drives.
Select your HD in Disk Util. Click the restore tab.
Select your old hard drive as 'source', and your new one as 'destination'.
Check the 'erase destination' box .
Click restore.
Quit DU. 'Open Startup Disk'. Set the startup disk.
Shut down the old machine.
Reboot the new one.

Gotchas: Make sure the system you are cloning from *is* up to date. The only time this won't work is if the new machine will not run on the latest updates , but only on it's own special version. This happes occasionally. If this does happen, after doing the resotre, reinsstall from the install/restore dvd that shipped w/ the new machine. You'll now have an up to date system with your home folder and any extra stuff you added.

All currently shipping will work fine w/ the latest updates available for download.

Dave Hagan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2004, 08:35 PM

Well, it's too late...about ten minutes ago, before reading this, I downloaded and started to clone with CCC. I could have done it with Disk Utility. We'll see how CCC works. The source drive is nearly full at approximately 39 GB.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2004, 10:09 PM

Update: CCC hung on me twice...midway through each time. I'm now restoring using the Disk Utility like you said...booted from the OS X Installer Disk.

Dave Hagan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2004, 11:22 PM

Update 2: Disk Restore worked well, restoring one (older) PowerBook drive to the other (newer) PowerBook. 38 GB copied in approx. 35 minutes.

The only one oddity I noticed is that the display seems to display a little bluer on the newer PowerBook, comparative to last time. Not by much, but I will examine that again in the morning. The default config in the Display prefs is Color LCD in both. This might explain the color bias I have seen in the 15-inch. Perhaps the profiles are more than skin deep? Interesting....it was a good test...I'll be experimenting some more tomorrow.
( Last edited by Dave Hagan; Jul 24, 2004 at 11:36 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules