Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Photoshop question (images)

Photoshop question (images)
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 07:37 PM

Is it possible to paste into a layer mask? every time I try to it puts it on a new layer, not the mask that I have selected. This is kinda hard to explain so I made an EXTREMELY ugly example.

Lets pretend I have this that I want to make into a title-bar for a theme. So I want to use this as the layer mask. So I try to paste the layer mask by clicking the layer mask icon at the bottom of the layers pallet then hitting paste. But instead of pasting into the mask its pastes it normally, on a new layer, by itself.

Any suggestions? am I missing something obvious, like I usually do?

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 07:50 PM

I've been adding the second image on top of the first and go "load selection", highlight the first image layer, go "select inverse"/edit/clear and then delete the second layer.

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 07:51 PM

Nevermind. i figured it out.

Put the gradient on the top layer and the mask (with transparency, not white space) on the bottom layer. select the top, gradient, layer. click "layer>create clipping mask"

deej5871
Senior User
Sep 20, 2004, 09:10 PM

Huh.. I had the same question and my solution was have Quick Mask mode selected in your tools window, then paste the image you want to be the mask, and that makes it a selection when you switch back to standard mode after that.

Edited for clarity.
( Last edited by deej5871; Sep 20, 2004 at 11:08 PM. )

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 02:50 AM

Good Luck, hope it's a sweet theme you're working on =P

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 03:23 AM

Here's more detail on the QuickMask solution. Note that the ThemePark tutorial that this is from is largely out of date, but the section I linked just happens to solve your problem.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2004, 06:11 AM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
Any suggestions? am I missing something obvious, like I usually do?
I remember that, around PS version 3 or 4, you could do this directly. Now it's still simple, but less obvious. Click on the Channels tab and you'll see the alpha channel for the mask directly below the RGB channels. You can select this channel and just hit "Paste".

Hope this helps...

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
Good Luck, hope it's a sweet theme you're working on =P
Yeah, I think it is! Avenger

Thanks to everyone for the extra info!

BTW Smeger, am I going to need to re-do anything for my theme when ShapeShifter 1.3 comes out? (please say "no") *crossing fingers*
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Sep 21, 2004 at 08:04 PM. )

COBRAHQ
Sep 21, 2004, 12:22 PM

I'll do this from a Mac perspective, so the keys may be different from the Windows version... I can't remember what I use on my Win machine at the moment.

Once you've created the blank mask, if you Option-Click the Mask box on your layer, it'll show you the B&W Mask work area. From there you can paste whatever you want into it.

Or you do that multiple layer way, but this way you know how to get back into the Mask when you need to make changes.

Hope that's helpful.
( Last edited by COBRAHQ; Sep 21, 2004 at 12:28 PM. )

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
Yeah, I think it is! Avenger

Thanks to everyone for the extra info!

BTW Smeger, am I going to need to re-do anything for my theme when ShapeShifter 1.3 comes out? (please so "no") *crossing fingers*
I don't think so. I'm usually pretty good about providing a "zero upgrade needed" path.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

MacMan4000  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
I don't think so. I'm usually pretty good about providing a "zero upgrade needed" path.
Awesome! I'm looking forward to it a lot. keep up the good work!

Forum Links
Forum Rules