Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple TV, Slingcatcher, or Xbox 360?

Apple TV, Slingcatcher, or Xbox 360?
theokandroid
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 08:02 PM

Im currently thinking about getting and HDTV, and some sort of media hub so that I can play all my backed up video (on external hd) onto my TV, Currently I have a Macbook and all my media is stored in .mp4 format, ripped in HandBrake, on an external HD. I'm having trouble trying to decide which one will be the best setup. As far as I can tell the Apple TV will only display stuff found in iTunes so it wont play my 720 x whatever it is files, The 360 will seem to do it alright but only if I convert them to WMV first, which I'd rather not do, and I havent looked into the Slingcatcher but it's not out until this summer someitme. Anyone have any advice?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 08:44 PM

Refurb (or used) Mac mini.

But out of those three? Sling. Or even an Xbox (original) with XBMC since your source files are only SD TV.
( Last edited by mduell; Jan 9, 2007 at 08:57 PM. )

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2007, 12:46 AM

Yeah I did some research on the mac mini, didnt think of it when making the post, and it seems like a solid idea. Question is how cheap I can get one with the apple remote.

Scarpad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2007, 05:29 PM

I wonder if Apple TV won't play them because it will play a 720x whatever mp4 if you add it to Itunes. Now the Apple TV specs say it can play 640x whatever, but supposedly whatever Itunes can play it will be able to.
ipod mini

Mac Mini - 1.42Ghz
80GB HD - Airport Extreme
Superdrive - 512mb ram

JRobinson
Jan 23, 2007, 04:46 AM

Here's my assumption about Apple TV: if you can play it on an iPod, then you can play it on an Apple TV. If you are able to get 720 x 400 MPEG-4 or H.264 to work on an iPod, then it should work on an Apple TV. Of course, we won't know for sure until the device actually arrives.

Also, as far as I can tell, the Apple TV is the ONLY device that can stream DRM content from the ITunes Store.

Forum Links
Forum Rules