Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can I close the display and not have my computer goto sleep?

Can I close the display and not have my computer goto sleep?
bigt0169
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2007, 01:53 PM

I want to be able to close my MBP display and have an external monitor hooked up. Is it possible to do so. If so, how?

Black_Rain
Jan 29, 2007, 02:25 PM

i know there is a way... but i'm pretty sure u have to dl an app for that...

i have heard that this is not reccommended because a lot of heat is transfered up through the keyboard/speaker grilles...

but possibly someone else can reinforce this issue

ibook_steve
Jan 29, 2007, 02:47 PM

Search for "closed lid mode." This is built-in, in your manual, and discussed here many times. You need a monitor, external mouse, and keyboard.

Steve

phazedowt
Jan 29, 2007, 04:21 PM

From what I know there isn't a way you can do this without momentarily putting your machine to sleep. The procedure that I use is:
1) close lid (MBP goes to sleep)
2) plug in external display
3) plug in external mouse or keyboard via USB-- this step will wake the MBP back up
4) you're running in closed-lid mode

edit: The few times I've done this, heat hasn't been so much of an issue. To be honest, I prefer running with an external display and the laptop open (giving me dual displays) rather than running closed lid.
( Last edited by phazedowt; Jan 29, 2007 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added note.)
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2007, 05:26 PM

Don't forget power!

Closed lid mode will only work if your MBP is hooked up to AC power.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2007, 05:30 PM

Yes you can do this, no it is not dangerous, it is documented by Apple and in your Manual.

I do this daily.

Plug in the Monitor, and the KB and mouse (or use bluetooth like I do). You MUST plug int he power.

You then use the keyboard to wake the MBP from sleep - or you open the lid, press the power button, and close it.

There are no heat issues, but if you are paranoid, you can press the button and leave the lid open slightly.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Black_Rain
Jan 29, 2007, 06:38 PM

ok... sorry if i seemed to hijack this thread...

but what about closing the lid and not having it go to sleep...

like if i just wanted it to close overnight...and stay connected and "awake"

without an external monitor...

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2007, 08:02 PM

Black_Rain, good question, I've always just turned down my display brightness to off. Since that is about all closing the lid would do, other than look cleanly folded up.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Black_Rain
Jan 29, 2007, 09:03 PM

tink... yeah thats what i've done (if i want to go to sleep and dont want the brightness and such...

BUT...there are a lot of times when i'm in the middle of a convo or that i'm downloading something and want to carry the mbp across the house... or if i dont always want to hassel with the 10 seconds it takes for the comp to just boot back up... i know it sounds cynical, but sometimes i just want to close it for numerous reasons and dont want to put it to sleep

ibook_steve
Jan 29, 2007, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Black_Rain View Post
tink... yeah thats what i've done (if i want to go to sleep and dont want the brightness and such...

BUT...there are a lot of times when i'm in the middle of a convo or that i'm downloading something and want to carry the mbp across the house... or if i dont always want to hassel with the 10 seconds it takes for the comp to just boot back up... i know it sounds cynical, but sometimes i just want to close it for numerous reasons and dont want to put it to sleep
Well, you should always put it to sleep before moving it to prevent damage to the hard drive. The sudden motion sensor will help in this regard, but I try not to move my laptops when they are awake. As for the wake time, I don't know which machine you have, but if you disable Safe Sleep, I would think that it would wake up much faster since the memory contents don't have to be retrieved from the hard drive.

Steve

Black_Rain
Jan 29, 2007, 09:30 PM

steve, thanks...i didnt even think of hdd damage...

but how would i enable/disable safe sleep and what exactly does it do (why would i need it enabled/disabled?)

(obviously i'm new to macs and laptops in general)

so thanks

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2007, 09:40 PM

So is that a 'no' to Black_Rain's original question? I want to be able to close the lid and for the computer to do nothing. Sometimes I need the computer to be portable but sleeping will stop it from completing a task I started on it. Thanks.

Edit: I mean without an external keyboard, mouse, or monitor.

I would've sworn there was a hack to enable this function, but I can't find anything about it. Safe sleep is not what I'm looking for.
( Last edited by slpdLoad; Jan 30, 2007 at 12:40 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2007, 04:58 AM

Well since there is
> sudo pmset lidwake 0
that got me wondering if there isn't something like
> sudo pmset lidsleep 0
But unfortunately that doesn't seem to exist.

Is there some kind of alternative command? I guess that would pretty much do the trick. Any ideas?

daghastly12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2007, 09:47 PM

does anybody know if it is possible to do what Black_Rain requested? I'm interested in closing the lid of my MBP and having it do nothing (i.e. not sleep in any way). Basically have the screen shutoff and be folded nice and neat like another forumite put it. This is what I want. I'm new to Macs, but not to computers. This is a feature I use regularly on my 2 IBM/Windows laptops. Thank you for your time.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2007, 01:15 AM

I'm surprised it hasn't already been mentioned in this thread... InsomniaX

Forum Links
Forum Rules