Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help Returning MacBook

Help Returning MacBook
sdilley14
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2007, 01:31 AM

Could someone outline what steps I need to take to return my MacBook. I bought it from the refurb store about a week ago and every time I start it up, I can hear the fan rattling, right down by the MacBook lettering on the display, like the fan is either rubbing against the casing or a bearing is out in the fan. It's very loud and obnoxious, but it usually dies down and goes quiet after 5-10 minutes. In any matter, its unacceptable. I've tried calling Apple but I get put on hold forever and eventually give up. Is there any formal process I need to follow for a return? I hate to do this, I'd rather be able to just crack it open and fix it myself then spend the money on shipping and go through the lost productivity time of not having a computer, but it looks like I have no choice.

Any suggestions?
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Bob Marley
Mar 13, 2007, 06:01 PM

email them, or phone them and wait.

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2007, 03:28 AM

Do you live near an Apple Store? If so take it to them, if not just call the number, and theyll mail you a box.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 05:45 PM

I live a couple hours away from an Apple store. I'll give them a call. Thanks!
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2007, 01:24 PM

Now you do realize that you're gonna have to take it to the genius bar right? You can't sort of simply return the Macbook, to book an appointment, go to Apple Store

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 01:36 PM

Is that a free service under the 1 year warranty or no?
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

kikkoman
Senior User
Mar 16, 2007, 03:19 PM

Why not have it fixed? Call AppleCare, have them send you a box. Mail it back. It will cost you nothing.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Is that a free service under the 1 year warranty or no?
Making an apointment and talking to a Mac Genius is free no matter how old your computer is.

But what the Genius can do is identify the problem and tell you if it's covered by your warranty before you send it out to Apple. Otherwise, it's possible (if it's not covered) that Apple will charge you for it.

I would recommend getting an extended Apple warranty anyway. You can purchase one any time before your original 1 year warranty expires.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 04:31 PM

I have an Apple authorized service center really close by. I emailed them explaining the problem and they emailed back saying it sounded like it was something that is covered under the warranty (all I did was take it out of the box and start it for christs sake!). So I'm going to take it over there and hopefully they don't have any service charges or anything like that on it. I would just send it in to Apple but I don't want to go 2-3 weeks without a computer.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

chipchen
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 05:16 AM

DON'T take it into the service center... they'll likely have it for two weeks.

DO call Apple. Call the 800 MY APPLE number and not the Apple Store near you. Tell them you have a defective out of box MacBook and they should either authorize a replacement or a return.

If you take it to an Apple Store or AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider), they will fix it under warranty at no cost... but you have to wait the time, etc....

My take is just to call the Apple online store and wait til you get someone.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 05:25 PM

I actually took it into the service center in my town. They said they'd fix it under warranty and the turnaround time on it is 2-4 days (is a small place that hardly gets any business). So hopefully it works out!
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2007, 11:17 AM

3 day turnaround, fully covered under Apple warranty, no more fan noise other than the almost dead silent normal running fan (which I must say is a LOT quieter than my old 12" PB).
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2007, 11:34 AM

You ever wonder if manufacturers sometimes just take returns and then claim they're refurbished without actually verifying their condition?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2007, 04:08 PM

I've thought about that, but I would hope they would have to comply with certain regulations. Whether those regulations would actually be followed is another question.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

HellionNecrosis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2007, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
You ever wonder if manufacturers sometimes just take returns and then claim they're refurbished without actually verifying their condition?
Yea that's what I thought, but the manager at the Apple store in Fashion Valley San Diego told me that Apple has a habit of having over supply of some items and to get rid of them, they actually brand them refurb. and sell refurb. Example he gave me was the Black refurb. Macbook which I have. He was telling me that through his store and the other Apple Store in the area the Black Macbook is the least returned notebook and #1 seller although it cost more. So then why would Apple put it up as refurb? Guess it makes sence, especially when they are releasing new updated devices these days.

my .02

Forum Links
Forum Rules