Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problem with Finder

Problem with Finder
Black_Rain
May 6, 2008, 06:20 PM

System: 15" mbp/Leopard 10.5.2/2.16 c2d/3gbRAM

Problem:

As of late, when I try to open a new finder window by clicking on the dock icon, it sometimes wont open one (even when there is no finder window open already). It does this sometimes, not all, and i just hit cmnd-N to bring up a new window.

Also, in the shortcut sidebar in Finder i have: Desktop, Apps, Docs, Movies, Music, Pics, Downloads, and "MyUserName"

When/IF Finder opens, it goes directly to my user name on the shortcut sidebar, which is fine. The problem is when i click on the applications folder inside myusername, it shows no applications. If I click on the applications folder in my hdd, they show up, as well as if i open them via the dock or the shortcut from the sidebar menu.... just not when opened through my username shortcut. Everything else seems to open fine within my username folder (desktop/docs/library/music etc...) just not applications...

Does anyone know why this is?

To add to that... i opened the trash just now, then closed it after i was done...now when i click on the icon, it doesnt open back up. I actually cannot get to my trash now, even if i 2-finger click>open it...

Any help is appreciated, i'm not sure why this is happening, please enlighten..

right now i'm going to try a restart
Please visit StopMyVirus.com!!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2008, 06:43 PM

The Applications folder in your home folder is not the same place as the Applications folder at the base of the hard drive.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Black_Rain  (op)
May 6, 2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
The Applications folder in your home folder is not the same place as the Applications folder at the base of the hard drive.
Ic, I thought I used to browse my apps through my username as well...guess not...

also i just checked my roommates macbook, and he doesnt even have an apps folder in his username, just on his hdd...

any reason for that?
Please visit StopMyVirus.com!!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2008, 07:26 PM

Unlike the one at the root of the disk, you normally don't have an Applications folder in your home folder. You can just put one there if you have programs you don't want to share with other users on the computer. Probably some program you've installed decided to create that folder for you.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

red rocket
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Black_Rain
As of late, when I try to open a new finder window by clicking on the dock icon, it sometimes wont open one (even when there is no finder window open already). It does this sometimes, not all, and i just hit cmnd-N to bring up a new window.
That’s happened to me, as well. Also, Cmd-delete failed to trash files a few times, I had to drag them by hand.

I’d try to restart, or at least log out, see if that makes any difference. I’ve restarted, and that stuff hasn’t happened since.

Forum Links
Forum Rules