Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MobileMe is out as of 7am EST!

MobileMe is out as of 7am EST!
sixmemos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 07:05 AM

www.mac.com now redirects to www.me.com. You're greeted with a pretty login screen in all of its AJAX-y goodness. Unfortunately, it may need a few more minutes to be fully up, as I'm stuck with the rotating clock hashes at the MobileMe mail startup page...

sixmemos  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 07:19 AM

...update: while I haven't successfully loaded MobileMe Mail yet (stuck on the hashmarks), the calendar, addressbook, gallery, and iDisk pages look great! You can (finally) drag-and-drop to reorder galleries, a feature I've been hoping for for a long time.

At least they were until a few minutes ago. I suspect the servers are getting hammered now, and services are now slowed to a crawl again.

sixmemos  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 07:24 AM

Ha -- now, www.mac.com and www.me.com redirect back to www.apple.com/mobileme. Looks like they're hiding again.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 10, 2008, 07:44 AM

Software Update just downloaded and installed the MobileMe update for Leopard on my MacBook...the goodness grows closer...

(edit) I just noticed in the MobileMe preferences the option for syncing notes...was this always there or is this new?

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 08:14 AM

Just was on www.me.com a few mins ago... logged in but nothing worked!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2008, 08:17 AM

Did the software update for mobilme, email seems to "push" instantly, but cannot login to my account in system preferences. Was initially logged in- but had errors, so I logged out, and now I can't log in. I get "unknown validation error Your MobileMe member name or password may be invalid. Please enter a different name or password."

Bummer. Not sure what to do?

Tried username, [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]. No luck.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2008, 08:26 AM

One would think they would have their sh*t together, but of course they don't. Why am I surprised and frustrated? Oh yeah, it's because Apple used to be better than this, and because this is a PAY service.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 09:13 AM

Yup, me.com is down here on the West Coast. I was just partially logged in with the pretty icon bar across the top then it hung.

I can see Steve right about now, walking around with axe in hand...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 09:28 AM

I got a brief glimpse of it about an hour ago - Mail didn't work (perpetual Loading message), the calendar wouldn't fully load (lots of script running errors from Firefox 2 on my PC here at work), but the contacts worked perfectly - looks and acts just like Address Book and shows you all the information that you see on your Mac rather than just a limited subset as it did before in .Mac (which is fine and dandy by me).

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2008, 09:35 AM

Yep, I saw the MobileMe is up top story on the MacNN main page and then I giddily went to me.com to finally check it out. Entered my dot mac login name and then got the "Loading" sprocket for 4 solid minutes before Safari timed out. When I clicked refresh it went back to the MobileMe is coming soon page.

Talk about first day jitters...

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 10:12 AM

Its not working for me and so I'm unable to view my email messages. Hopefully it will be online shortly.

ctbritt
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2008, 10:20 AM

Whew. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I can't log in via System Prefs. Can't log in via the Web site (getting the old redirect switcheroo) and can't get email through Mail.app for either .mac or .me. I'm kind of cut off and NOT HAPPY.
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 10:41 AM

I did expect an outage but I was hoping that it would be limited to off hours not during the day. Most companies try to do deployments off hours and/or weekends. Apple seems to think they can do it during normal operating hours and no one will care

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 10:46 AM

From what I understood, your e-mail should still be accessible through the Mail client on your Mac... is it really down as well?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
From what I understood, your e-mail should still be accessible through the Mail client on your Mac... is it really down as well?
For me in my office, I don't have access to mail.app so I must rely on the webmail client.

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2008, 11:05 AM

Yeah I know what you mean. Origninally it was supposed to be 6p to 12a PST. then changed to 8p to 2a PST.. We are now at 8a PST.

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I did expect an outage but I was hoping that it would be limited to off hours not during the day. Most companies try to do deployments off hours and/or weekends. Apple seems to think they can do it during normal operating hours and no one will care

moep
Senior User
Jul 10, 2008, 11:08 AM

My (completely unused) @mac.com email address is still working via IMAP.

It looks like they were trying to do the deployment during the (US) off hours but something went wrong. That really is a lot of downtime we've seen so far and I doubt that it's intended.
But then again I have no clue when it comes to projects as huge as this.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 01:35 PM

At least the email works on desktop clients and the iPhone/iPod touch. to Apple for keeping that part sane.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 01:45 PM

The MobileMe package didn't come down software update today at 1 PM EST, I downloaded the package manually from apple.com and installed it. Sysprefs still can't connect, but mail works.
Signature depreciated.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
The MobileMe package didn't come down software update today at 1 PM EST, I downloaded the package manually from apple.com and installed it. Sysprefs still can't connect, but mail works.
How did u download it manually??

Rich

Moose
Senior User
Jul 10, 2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
How did u download it manually??
Cunning and guile.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 04:53 PM

They are choking hard on this deployment. Now going on twelve hours overdue.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I thank you!

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 07:37 PM

For me in my office, I don't have access to mail.app so I must rely on the webmail client.
I'm using gmail at my office to get my .me/.mac mail.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 01:35 AM

2232 PST and I still can't get into any of the MobileMe services. My .Mac Web Gallery still works, however. No webmail, no glossy homepage with Ajaxy goodness. Nothin'. I just watched the late news. I guess I'll go to bed. I have somewhere to be about 8 tomorrow morning. ;-)

So is anyone who's a paid .Mac customer getting in?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 02:34 AM

I started to get some access to my iDisk again but it's not 100%. This being around 2 am EST.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

moep
Senior User
Jul 11, 2008, 06:04 AM

It's finally working for me now, albeit slow as molasses. I wonder how long it will last.

//edit: it's not only slow, it's also incompatible with the latest webkit nightlies. It also feels buggy/sketchy even on Safari 3.1.2, especially the preference menu.
( Last edited by moep; Jul 11, 2008 at 06:22 AM. )

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 06:49 AM

Working for me now, I like it. All fine with the exception of the columns in Mail being screwed up.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

moep
Senior User
Jul 11, 2008, 06:50 AM

that's just the idisk starting page with nothing open.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2008, 06:51 AM

I like it too. Very nice and it will only get better.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 06:53 AM

You can't invite people to events from the iCal web app

kman42
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 06:53 AM

I didn't get a software update for mobileme either. Maybe they aren't quite ready to go live for everyone yet.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 07:18 AM

Great, it is finally up and running, but... they are using US shorthand date formats all over the place. No doubt the spelling checker is US English only too.

Edit: OK, there are preferences for changing this in Calendar (but they don't work properly yet).
( Last edited by JKT; Jul 11, 2008 at 07:35 AM. )

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 07:37 AM

It's down again.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 08:17 AM

...aaaand it is up again.

However, no way to change date format or spelling checker in Mail or site wide other than in Calendar. Although you can do it in the Calendar app, it only works for entries you are editing and not for the display which stays as Month Day instead of Day Month at the top of weekday columns.

Sigh.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 08:32 AM

The website has been up and working fine all morning for me (NY, EST), but the "cloud" isn't working between my computers. Automatic sync works, but the "on-the-fly" syncing that MM advertises isn't.

himself
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 08:46 AM

I'm able to login to mobileme, but nothing works! Nothing happens when I click on anything. Can't browse the folders on my iDisk, can't switch to Mail, nothing. It may be a problem on my end, but I don't know what it could be...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 08:49 AM

Its up for me, I'm accessing my email via the www.me.com address. Performance seems a little slower then what I've gotten used to when it was .mac

Since I'm at work, I can only access my email from the website and use either firefox or IE6. When I attempted to use IE it gave me this error message

Seems kind of strange that they would restrict people from accessing the site to only firefox and safari. IE (6 or 7) is not being shown as an option to log in.

With all of the marketing about it being able to access your stuff on a mac or a pc, seems kind of strange. Not a huge deal for me.

wrennp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2008, 09:47 AM

MobileMe working on and off. Push iCal and Contacts sometimes works. me.com up and down. Picked up my iPhone £G this morning, all good so far. GPS is great.
iMac 320gb / 2gb RAM | MacBook 120gb / 2gb RAM
iPod Touch 1.1.4 / 16gb | Apple TV / 160gb
iPhone 3G / 16gb

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 10:31 AM

Finally working albeit very, very slow.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 10:37 AM

Seems kind of strange that they would restrict people from accessing the site to only firefox and safari. IE (6 or 7) is not being shown as an option to log in.
According to the system requirements IE7 is supported, it just appears that Apple are not recommending it in that screen. They ought to say that IE7 is supported (at least) if they aren't going to recommend it.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2008, 10:43 AM

Im not off to a good start either. I can't even download the 'MobileMe update for Leopard' on my alu iMac. It doesnt show up in Software update. But I got it fine on my old G4 powerbook.
I tried to download it via the link provided by Moose too, but no luck with that either. I just got some error.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2008, 10:47 AM

iDisk seems to be lacking the list view and sharing features. Probably also missing is the homepage online editing feature.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 10:51 AM

When its up, which hasn't been too much today, its been wicked slow. Over 1 minute to navigate and see my mail. Many times, I just sit there with the spinning dohickey and nothing happening.

Its not like I'm just playing around, its my email account that I need access to and I've been offline all day yesterday and now most of the morning.

moep
Senior User
Jul 11, 2008, 10:54 AM

I tried IE 6, 7 and 8 under Fusion and all of them display the error message.

Not supporting IE 6 is fine (I'm actually thankful for it), but the lack of support for 7 and 8 makes no sense to me. It's a fact that most public machines still run Windows and IE at this point. A webmail application should not be that picky when it comes to browsers. One more reason to stick with gmail.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
I tried IE 6, 7 and 8 under Fusion and all of them display the error message.

Not supporting IE 6 is fine (I'm actually thankful for it), but the lack of support for 7 and 8 makes no sense to me.
I'm not, many people and organizations are still using IE6. While I CAN use firefox, its kind of dumb to exclude such a large population

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 11:24 AM

Not a good week for Apple with their launches.

MobileMe is a cluster f---. It's on, it's off. It's on, it's slow. It's on, it's back off.

People are buying 3G iPhones and can't activate them because iTunes cannot connect to the servers. So AT&T stores are sending them home with bricked phones and telling them to activate them themselves. Wait, I thought in-store activation was required?!?

People are having problems upgrading to the 2.0 software, and when they do, they can't connect to the iTunes store.

Way to go Apple! Maybe it was a bit optimistic to think you could launch an entirely new online service, an entirely new iPhone software and App store, and a new iPhone in the span of 2 days. Especially when ALL of these things are closely interrelated and are trying to connect to the same servers.

Here's how this should have gone:

1) Get the online service up and running first. Make sure everything works as it is supposed to. The only thing people won't be able to do yet is synch OTA with their iPhone. No big deal if everything else is working as it should. Give yourself a week to work out all the kinks.

2) Release the 2.0 iPhone software to current iPhone owners. Let them get the update installed and running, download apps, get things working with MobileMe, etc. Give current iPhone users a week to play around, download apps from the App Store, play with the new MobileMe synching features, etc. This also gives you time to work out any kinks in the App store and iPhone/MobileMe interaction.

3) LASTLY, launch the 3G iPhone. Everything else will be running smoothly and all the new iPhone owners need to do is activate their phones without having to compete with current iPhone owners clogging the servers downloading updates, playing with the App store, and connecting to MobileMe simultaneously.

moep
Senior User
Jul 11, 2008, 11:37 AM

The text on homepage.mac.com pretty much says it all. Something obviously went wrong, then they tried to get the core services up ASAP no matter what.
Things are still buggy but almost sounds like they are happy to have something up and working at all.

I agree that there should have been a smoother transition between .mac and me.com — a beta phase for example.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
The text on homepage.mac.com pretty much says it all. Something obviously went wrong, then they tried to get the core services up ASAP no matter what.
Things are still buggy but almost sounds like they are happy to have something up and working at all.

I agree that there should have been a smoother transition between .mac and me.com — a beta phase for example.
me.com is working well now. I think that mac.com bounce is relatively meaningless.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn View Post
me.com is working well now. I think that mac.com bounce is relatively meaningless.
Define well. Still very slow here. And still no SU for MM. Finally have iTunes 7.7 on both computers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules