Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 38)
SargentStudley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2012, 12:36 PM

Hello everyone! I am Blaze's friend from work and thought I would say hello. I headed east-south-east from Blaze's dome and settled on an island just off shore of a new continent, finding a village in the desert on my way there. I'm currently building a lighthouse that will use a clock regulated piston to cycle a lava lamp at the top, which will cause a blinking effect.

I hope you all had a good New Year, and I will see you all on the server soon!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2012, 12:41 PM

Welcome! I look forward to coming and visiting your place. I heard you're going to be requiring plenty of red stone. If you want a starter kit, I'll throw some your way.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2012, 06:38 PM

I found wolfs. Lots of them too. Now to figure out how to get them across an ocean...

Also for a second time one of you has decided to build practically on top of an abandoned mine. Pro-tip sailing around at night looking down.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2012, 07:20 PM

Found my first abandoned mineshaft under the swamps to the rear of my mountain, going to have to suit up proper to explore them in total.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2012, 08:10 PM

Take something or device a method of knowing were you've been. They're a maze. Literally.

SargentStudley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2012, 01:02 AM

So, I was able to get on my feet, finally. I had a lot of trouble finding iron at first, until I discovered that my island is a honeycomb of caves.

My island is ENE of Andi's home. You'll travel through a desert and find a village on the way. There should be an abnormal pillar of sand at the east coast of that desert, where you can just barely see my island across the bay. Heading exactly north east from that village will get you there. You should see the now-finished blinking lighthouse on the west side. Pictures to follow when I get a hosting solution (not tonight!).

I'm thinking I can build a dock on that east coast of the desert, and start the road that you all are working on from there. It should roughly line up. I could even throw in a few navigation bouys in the water that would make a shipping lane. Thoughts?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2012, 11:31 AM

Yeah, caves are chock-full of iron.

I'd love to see everything. Definitely link up the road if you feel like taking on that project -- it's a lot of work, but it's definitely helped travel. The buoys might be a good idea too, although if you can see your lighthouse from the other coast, is it necessary?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2012, 01:15 PM

The road has made me able to actually visit Andi, so the more direct connections the better IMO. If you don't have a gigantic amount of coal to make smooth stone for the road I can donate a ton of smooth stone to help connect our world. A little boat house of sorts would be a good idea as well for a safe place to launch out to your lighthouse.

I'm starting to explore out beyond the swamps directly south of Fatty Mountain, found a pretty sweet mountain.

Once I make a safehouse here I'm going to continue the Red Line southward, also recently noticed the Green Line and it's several stops, pretty nifty and I like that Andi adopted my Boston-esque transit naming scheme.

Got a cool shot of Jawbone and areas beneath during a hicup in loading.

Your mine looks pretty sweet in this cross-section.

Lastly, while setting up a new mining area underneath my new swamp hut I punched through (at y=12) to the bottom of another giant ravine. Didn't have the energy to explore it, so I'll save it for a group outing.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2012, 01:18 PM

Oh yeah, SargentStudley, if you need any resources just ask, you didn't get to carry over any goodies into this new world like we did so I'm more than happy to lend a hand.

Things I have in abundance are: Gold, Iron, Smooth Stone, Redstone, Torches, Arrows, and Food.

andi*pandi
Jan 5, 2012, 02:38 PM

I've finished the road up to my house, I might take a break for a bit to expand the house and put in a library. I also do want to explore and check out the Sargent's cool lighthouse!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I've finished the road up to my house.
Were do you see the road heading east from? It looks like there are bits of a road east of your front door. I'd send it east in a straight line from the our village but that's just me being anal.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Got a cool shot of Jawbone and areas beneath during a hicup in loading.

Favorite screenshot ever.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 5, 2012, 03:56 PM

Mojang has revealed this week's Snapshot! We have an exciting list of changes, including the following:

New language translations. We changed from using Google Docs to a new system, so these may still contain a lot of errors or missing texts. Please check the Minecraft forums (language section) for more info.
Slightly smoothed color transitions between biomes
Reduced brewing time to 20 seconds
Decreased randomness of Enchantment Tables
Changed colors of spawning eggs to more represent the mobs they spawn
Made biomes slightly more varied (hills in forests and deserts, beaches)
Added world type options (currently only super-flat and default)
Removed collision box from ladders
Updated fence gate collision box to align with fences

andi*pandi
Jan 5, 2012, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Were do you see the road heading east from? It looks like there are bits of a road east of your front door. I'd send it east in a straight line from the our village but that's just me being anal.
I started making a road by my house before Jawbone did, but it was basically just gravel markers so I could find my way home. I'm going to delete it and continue the King's Road north.

(I've just been reading Game of Thrones, can you tell... )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2012, 11:00 AM

andi and i extended the road to the eastern desert, and I extended the village road out as well. The safe house still needs word though.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Jan 7, 2012 at 08:43 PM. )

SargentStudley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2012, 02:32 PM

So lots of plans for the eastern desert, kings road, docks, and nav bouys. But first, as promised, lighthouse photos:

A view of the lighthouse from the south, on the island:

View of lighthouse from the south-west end of the island. by SargentStudley, on Flickr

A view of the lighthouse at night, from the west as you would approach from the east-desert docks:

View of the lighthouse from west of the island by SargentStudley, on Flickr

And as luck would have it, the windows in the main floor line up just right for a very nice view in the morning:

Sunrise from the lighthouse living room by SargentStudley, on Flickr

And finally, desert plans:

Proposed Minecraft plans by SargentStudley, on Flickr

None of this is set in stone and is just a concept. I took a guess at the route of King's Road.

Jawbone, the bouys aren't really necessary, but I would enjoy taking on the project of setting channels and nav bouys as I skipper a sailboat during the summer. Anything nautical and I'm on board - pun intended!

I think the bouys will be made of dyed wool, but getting them out into the deep water will require some enchanted tools and helmets so I don't have drowning incidents while building the pillars for them to stand on. The white bouys are navigation bouys usually found at the entrance to a channel, or out in the open sea. I'll probably put signs on them when I get that far, and white bouys will always be in one of eight cardinal directions from each other so a person can safely and easily route from one to the next.

Thanks for the offer for materials everyone. Do we keep building materials at the construction site of the road, or should I pick up some of the stone brick? I'm pretty short on smooth stone. I'm happy to travel to get the materials.

Well, that wraps up this long post. I'll be brainstorming designs for the docks. Ideas are welcome!
( Last edited by SargentStudley; Jan 8, 2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: My pictures weren't working!)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2012, 02:55 PM

If you can travel out to Fatty Mountain feel free to grab 6 stacks of smooth stone, it's in the appropriately labeled chest.

andi*pandi
Jan 8, 2012, 04:02 PM

I've just been out exploring your area Sarge... lighthouse is nice!

I'm all out of stone. The swamp house near the end of the road has ovens etc for making more stone if all you have is cobble, and there are mossless trees there free for harvest to make charcoal.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2012, 08:30 PM

Got tired of my haphazard mine entrance. Hard to dither stairs though.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2012, 01:24 PM

What's that? A Laminar sighting in the wild?

Laminar and Fatty visiting the tree.

Work in progress...

Got spawned a million miles away again. Dropped by Blaze's dome, and saw his new friends.

Fatty's new swamp courtyard work:

Progress:

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2012, 09:50 PM

Got spawned a million miles away again.
I've warned people a couple times about the spawn point. The spawn marker is the house on the map.
I'll check into this tomorrow.
http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/to..._on_the_server But thats several months old and it looks like the fix he suggested is already there.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Jan 10, 2012 at 01:43 AM. )

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 10, 2012, 12:48 AM

A crack in the world:

Gearing up for adventure:

Uh, this was the wrong place to fall:

For some reason I keep getting an error a couple minutes after joining the server:

Internal exeption: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2012, 01:31 AM

Code:
java.net.SocketException ... Laminar lost connection: disconnect.overflow
I have no idea why. Usually when they had lots of network errors resetting their routers helped. But then your on the other side of the planet right? I'm getting 300ms pings to last ip in .au that responds.
It could also be not enough bandwidth or old java.

BTW the world folder is now 240MB
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Jan 10, 2012 at 01:51 AM. )

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 10, 2012, 02:25 AM

Is there a way to delete my info from the server? Not remove my name from the whitelist, but to make the server forget my last spawn point? Whenever I spawn in it's like I'm falling for a long time before it figures out where I am, and once I'm in I try and talk but it doesn't work.

Java is latest version, but there's nothing I can do about the internet connection here. Just when I thought I was going to get some stuff built...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2012, 08:22 AM

That falling bit happens as the game engine places you in the world before it downloads the world under your feet. I have to shutdown the server and use MCedit to move you. That won't stop the loading from being slow though.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2012, 11:16 AM

I've warned people a couple times about the spawn point. The spawn marker is the house on the map.
I'll check into this tomorrow.
Clients lose connection with exeption "disconnect.overflow" after few seconds on the server. But thats several months old and it looks like the fix he suggested is already there.
I knew about it, but made the incredibly stupid mistake of crafting a bed during an emergency situation, then putting the bed into Fatty's chest (it was his material) before setting out. I didn't get into one of my beds beforehand, so when I inevitably died chasing the second spider spawner in Fatty's new locale, I was sent to purgatory.

Won't happen again.

andi*pandi
Jan 10, 2012, 11:37 AM

I put a bed under a peaked roof which apparently wasn't tall enough. Purgatory indeed.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2012, 11:44 AM

So should we start considering the trip back from the spawn an punishment for making silly mistakes?

I put a bed under a peaked roof which apparently wasn't tall enough. Purgatory indeed.
so it gave the the no accessible bed error when you respawned instead of putting you on the roof of the building?

Once I logged out in my cave spider grinder. There's two doors were you stand so you can get the string w/out being killed. When you log back in it won't place you in an occupied block and it looks up for space, so I ended up in the spawner chamber. I got out alive though thanks to armor.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2012, 11:47 AM

I'm fine with the punishment. I knew what I did wrong as soon as it happened.

andi*pandi
Jan 10, 2012, 11:49 AM

I don't mind the trek as punishment but an arrow pointer and small house at spawn would be handy to avoid the unending death cycle.

I think that's what happened with the bed, but it is possible that I moved the bed and didn't sleep in it again after. I was rearranging things a bit in the swamp house.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2012, 02:15 PM

Maybe I should build a house on the spawn with a puzzle to get out.
I'm sure there are a few from Myst I could steal.

An idea. I think if I get Laminar away from my chickens and wolfs he may do better lag/crash wise. I'll need him logged in so I can use /tp
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Jan 10, 2012 at 02:34 PM. )

andi*pandi
Jan 10, 2012, 02:27 PM

diabolical, sir.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2012, 02:29 PM

Just make it a nine block wide platform suspended over a lava pit.

andi*pandi
Jan 10, 2012, 03:00 PM

Is the platform made of TNT?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2012, 03:03 PM

Glass would probably be scarier.

Edit: That lava pit is around 12 depth. The platform should be around 65.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2012, 04:38 PM

Seeing as I'm the one constantly finding myself back there, I think this is the worst idea of all-time. Horrible joke on the Bone.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2012, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
diabolical, sir.
This idea has been bugging me all day. I need a cat to pet. I'll have to settle for drumming my fingers. I did reach out to an old friend who was my GM back in the day. He makes me look like the pope.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Just make it a nine block wide platform suspended over a lava pit.
So you're stuck there?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2012, 05:15 PM

So you're stuck there?
Well it wasn't a serious suggestion. Though it would give the person time to think about what they'd done.

What about a Portal?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2012, 07:47 PM

If you built a nether portal there it would take you to nether gate that matches the gate in my dome. Just like Seks gate does. Because of the outstanding "bug" in the gate logic. That would be the quickest way back currently. I'll put a chest full of boats by my gate if someone wants to make the trip to the spawn. Place it as far from the spawn as you can get but still in "short" render distance to avoid the can't build there zone.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Jan 10, 2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling)

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2012, 08:43 PM

Maybe I should build a house on the spawn with a puzzle to get out.
I'm sure there are a few from Myst I could steal.

An idea. I think if I get Laminar away from my chickens and wolfs he may do better lag/crash wise. I'll need him logged in so I can use /tp
My logins aren't that bad, but it seems as if I'm kicked after a standard amount of time. I'll have to try and couple and time it to see if it is standard. I suppose Tropical Cyclone Heidi probably isn't helping my ping.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2012, 09:54 PM

Fortunately for you guys the portal I built at the spawn does not connect to the one that would take you to my dome. The one at Seks still does however. The spot in the Nether is safe if precarious.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Jan 10, 2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: irrelevent)

andi*pandi
Jan 11, 2012, 09:37 AM

Apparently the second little gem is my problem (from wiki)
If you walk very far away from your bed and then die, you do not re-spawn at your bed and instead spawn at your original spawn point, receiving the message "Your home bed was missing or obstructed".

You cannot respawn back to a bed surrounded by half-height blocks ("Your home bed was missing or obstructed")
Seems a silly bug. Off to fix...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2012, 10:38 AM

Doing some digging it looks like it's because the portals are more than 1024 blocks apart but mine and Seks aren't.
I may be able to make a gate setup that jumps you most of the way toward the village.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Jan 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 11, 2012, 02:44 PM

This made me think of this game.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2012, 02:58 PM

Beside the points: that's an amazing picture.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 11, 2012, 05:08 PM

Fortunately for you guys the portal I built at the spawn does not connect to the one that would take you to my dome. The one at Seks still does however. The spot in the Nether is safe if precarious.
Oh hey, you used my idea. Nice.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2012, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Oh hey, you used my idea. Nice.
If I can get it to work like I want you'll be taking that back.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2012, 05:39 PM

Uh oh...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 11, 2012, 05:40 PM

If I can get it to work like I want you'll be taking that back.
Just make the walk back to sek's a jumping puzzle and enough done.

---

Oh, I am disappoint that you can't craft Netherbrick.

andi*pandi
Jan 11, 2012, 06:14 PM

you can't? that's annoying.

I've nearly finished my rail, created a new library/bedroom, and rescued my diamonds so I could make an enchanting table at last.

Forum Links
Forum Rules