Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > $100 headphones for computer and tv

$100 headphones for computer and tv
Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2003, 03:15 AM

I would really like some nice headphones. My walls on campus are paper thin. I would really like the best sound, I can get from them. I want to spend right at $100 for them, give or take $20. I've seen some Sennheiser RS-65 and RS-60 on Ebay around that price, are these good? Wireless would be nice, but if I have a cable that is long enough that's fine as well. Whichever would sound the best, but wireless would be really neat and cool. Please let me know.
17" Apple Powerbook 1.33ghz

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2003, 05:21 AM

Maybe you should check out www.head-fi.org/forums they are experts when it comes to headphones over there!

OreoCookie
Dec 22, 2003, 07:07 AM

Koss Porta Pro, the crappiest looking but most awesome sounding headphones. Paid like 87 Euros. But they are not closed, they are for my iPod ...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

natan
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2003, 06:46 AM

The Sennheiser HD280 Pro's are quite nice for their price and can be found for $80-$100.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 10:12 AM

i'm fond of the sony mdr-v6. not v600, mind you. found mine on amazon.com, methinks

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Dec 23, 2003, 11:47 AM

Until recently I never realised the difference between open and closed headphones; got a pair of Sennheiser PX200 'phones (admittedly your budget is greater) for listening to CD's on the bus. Closed models block out much more environmental noise than either in-ear or open 'phones I've had before - could be important in your case if college 'noise' is a problem. Just audition before buying.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by natan:
The Sennheiser HD280 Pro's are quite nice for their price and can be found for $80-$100.
Amazon has them for 70.

Jbroad572  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2003, 04:43 PM

THat forum is great, however the regeistration takes forever and a day. I'm in que for approval. I've been reading a lot though, right now I think I'm leaning toward the Audio Technica a700 or maybe a900. I want a closed headphone that sounds good with movies as well as jazz and classical. I went to Best Buy and looked at some bose, sony v600, and another pair of headphones and they all sounded like crap. If this is what the talk is about I will pass, there are no more stores to audition, so I guess I'm just going by trial and error. I know the guys on the site could really help me out, but still waiting to be approved

direktor
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2003, 06:52 AM

Sony MDR-7506, one of the industry standards.

Jbroad572  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2004, 03:29 AM

If anyone cares, I ended up with the Audio Technica A900's which were great, but I sold those and bought the newer Sennheiser HD-650's. Of course they don't sound good coming out of the PB, but I have a Pimeta soon to be PPA amp. I've become addicted to headphones, I want to get rid of my computer creature speakers and could even understand why people pay thousands of $$$ on headphones.
I went over my initial budget by $400

natan
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2004, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by Jbroad572:
If anyone cares, I ended up with the Audio Technica A900's which were great, but I sold those and bought the newer Sennheiser HD-650's. Of course they don't sound good coming out of the PB, but I have a Pimeta soon to be PPA amp. I've become addicted to headphones, I want to get rid of my computer creature speakers and could even understand why people pay thousands of $$$ on headphones.
I went over my initial budget by $400
But it's quite worth it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules