Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Not Bad... Finer Moments in Gas Station Dining

Not Bad... Finer Moments in Gas Station Dining
subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2019, 03:07 PM

mindwaves
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2019, 09:22 PM

Just seasoning only and no actual pickle inside?

I'm fond of twinkies, snowballs, and Hostess cupcakes myself. Occasionally will grab a back of Fritos or Cheetos.
{{{ mindwaves }}}

andi*pandi
Nov 20, 2019, 01:32 PM

A slim jim is a quasi-dried-meat stick. I can't imagine a pickle flavored one. Then, I haven't had a slim jim in decades.

A bag of mixed nuts seems a safer protein fix, unless the gas station is also one of those small town gas-coffee-deli-pizza combo shops, then an Italian sub is in order. For road trips, I used to love little debbie oatmeal sandwich cookies - those and a bottle of coke would keep me awake.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2019, 05:50 PM

Well, it’s a Slim Jim. Safety’s been forsaken.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2019, 06:48 PM

To fill in some vital details.

It was from a 7-11.

It’s really more dill than pickle. I heart dill.

Little Debbie > Hostess.

andi*pandi
Nov 20, 2019, 06:57 PM

A 7-11 is just a Cumbie's without the gas.

I recall being really confused when I moved to the Big City, and there were all these quick marts that... just sold gas station snacks but not gas, but weren't quite grocery stores. Christy's, 7-11, etc.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 20, 2019, 09:16 PM

Around here, 7-11 has reemerged and is pairing with gas station chains. Primarily it's Valero, but Valero has Circle K as well as another one or two convenience brands.

We've recently had Quick Trip gas/convenience stores pop up, building new facilities in what appear to be competitive locations. They have more of a large truck stop vibe than a convenience store/"stop and rob" feeling, and none of them seems to have a problem with not enough attention to the property or floors, etc. I've seen a spill or two, but only because an employee was cleaning it up already. Oh, and on-topic, they have a pretty impressive soft drink selection and a truck stop-like junk food offering too. Like a display of what looked like a dozen or so varieties of Slim Jim. (There appear to be about 25 varieties.)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2019, 10:48 AM

Chicago used to be a White Hen Pantry town, with 7-11 as a secondary player. Somehow that inverted, and then 7-11 bought out WHP.

Are there still Store 24s in Boston?

Thorzdad
Nov 21, 2019, 02:42 PM

GetGo has made a huge push into the central Indiana area. In addition to building their own stores, they bought out Rickers (a regional chain) a couple years ago, which put them at a ton of interstate exits right away.
When I want your opinion,-
I'll read it in your entrails

andi*pandi
Nov 21, 2019, 03:10 PM

I haven't seen a Store 2-4 in a long time... but I am in the burbs now, where gas stations are gas stations and grocery stores sell fresh vegetables.

Forum Links
Forum Rules